0W-20 in 5W-20 Engine

0W-20 and 5W-20 are one-for-one replacements. Honda and Toyota backspeced all their 5W-20 cars for 0W-20 and either Castrol or SOPUS recommends 5W-20 applications needing D1G2/G3 to use their 0W-20 oils.

However, 5W-20 oils will use less VII in some cases and even between oils of the same brand and family, the composition will vary somewhat. Take the case of M1AFE and M1EP 0W-20. The former is mostly GIII GTL with a little PAO or ester added in to achieve certain performance targets or as an carrier for the add pack, the latter has 70-80% PAO.
The latest MSDS for M1 0W-20 shows only 40-50% Visom™ along with other proprietary additives and some Group 1. My guess is that it still contains a fair amount of PAO to maintain the -51C pour point. Mobil generally uses AN for esters, and EP 0W-20 is no more than 70% PAO...

Well, I suppose practically speaking, and Ostwald viscometer uses "flow rate" through a restriction to measure viscosity. Maybe you are ahead of many a layperson here who think that a Brookfield-style viscometer is more commonly used to measure oil viscosity at operating temperature :)

As far as the confusion with Multi-grade all season oil grade labeling, it certainly can lead to questions and confusion, and then add that most auto parts counter guys and mechanics still use the "It's a 5 weight oil when cold and a 30 weight oil when Hot" explanation, which doesn't necessarily help the average Joe any more. And now we can add rampant internet lore to further confuse .. most anything.

Back to the 1950's.

Many cars recommended a SAE 10W oil for winter use. This was a solvent de-waxed oil with good winter pumpability. We are staring to see 12V systems and starters, so crank-ability wasn't as important as it once was.
Now, the same car might recommend a SAE 20 or 30 motor oil for temperatures comfortably above freezing - a summer lube. But, be aware there are differences between an SAE 20 and an SAE 20W lubricant.

At some point in the late 50's Oil Co's started marketing All-Season Multi-Grade motor oils that could be used winter or summer. This is where we are now, ubiquitous among passenger car lubricants.

I hope this journey was a bit fun !

Under-hood oil grade recommendation sticker from a 1955 Ford Fairlane pushrod V8

View attachment 103197

Vintage Multi-Grade oil Can
View attachment 103198
By the late 50's multi-weight oils arrived and in the 60's GM was recommending 5W-20 in winter climates...

The latest MSDS for M1 0W-20 shows only 40-50% Visom™ along with other proprietary additives and some Group 1. My guess is that it still contains a fair amount of PAO to maintain the -51C pour point. Mobil generally uses AN for esters, and EP 0W-20 is no more than 70% PAO...

I'm not sure Mobil is using VISOM anymore, as that was supposed to be a transitionary product. If you are referring to the 40-50% 64742-54-7 that could be any Group III base including Yubase, as we see that same base oil in the old TGMO data sheet. It's also the same CAS # we see in Royal Purple HPS.
Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 11.30.09 PM.jpg

VISOM 4 has the CAS # 64742-71-8
VISOM 6 has the CAS # 64742-70-7

2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 with 5.0L. 60,000 miles on it.

Can I use 0w-20 in it when it calls for 5w-20? Have a lot of 0w-20 in oil stash for wife’s car, and was curious if this would work without causing any issues.

Daily driver. 20 miles to and from work. A lot of highway miles. Light towing occasionally. S/E part of US.

Thanks so much!
I think i read some where that Ford went back to 5w30 on the 5.0L engine. I am not a 100% sure on this.

I'm not sure Mobil is using VISOM anymore, as that was supposed to be a transitionary product. If you are referring to the 40-50% 64742-54-7 that could be any Group III base including Yubase, as we see that same base oil in the old TGMO data sheet. It's also the same CAS # we see in Royal Purple HPS.
View attachment 103679

VISOM 4 has the CAS # 64742-71-8
VISOM 6 has the CAS # 64742-70-7

So you think ExxonMobil is outsourcing? I would bet they do for GTL, but other HC oils? IDK about that...

So you think ExxonMobil is outsourcing? I would bet they do for GTL, but other HC oils? IDK about that...
They produce PAO, AN's, and assorted esters under XOM Chemical. They also produce a decent portfolio of Group "II+" bases under the ExxonMobil moniker. Here's an excerpt from the SDS for EHC 110:
Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 12.17.59 AM.jpg

CAS number look familiar?

However, EHC isn't synthetic, because it isn't Group III (because the VI isn't high enough) but it's a hydrocracked base oil like the others I mentioned, which is why it gets the same CAS #. VISOM appears to have its own CAS numbers, as I noted.

So, do I think Mobil buys Group III? Yes, it would appear that way.

Back