09 yz450f reusable oil filter?

Picking up an 09 yz450f tuesday.I dont know the previous maintenance history so i was going to change the oil I will use T6 just cause its readily available. A paper k&n filter is 10 bucks but i saw this stainless reusable filter for 15.00 what are your thoughts and opinions? It claims to be superior?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230826-223828.jpg
    Screenshot_20230826-223828.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230826-223814.jpg
    Screenshot_20230826-223814.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 20
Well a K &N is 10 bucks a hi flo around that and plenty of china made filters for cheap but i compared the china ones to a K and N and they looked like crap. I guess i will just use the k and n.

A quality stainless screen mesh filter can be a superb lifetime filter. They can also be found with impressive micron ratings.

We use them extensively in the aviation world. Interestingly, we can test for hydraulic fluid particulate contamination, run the system for a few hours, and the mesh filters will eventually pull out particulates down to about 4 microns. Like other filters, as they accumulate some particulates, they become even more effective at removing fine particles.

The synthetic media filters don't provide better filtering in our testing. In fact, they are more likely to "pass" larger particulates than the metal mesh filters are.

I don't have a way to know the quality of the component you are looking at. However, I have zero issues relying on Stainless Steel metal mesh filters to keep my aviation engines, hydraulics and fuel systems clean and safe.

As always, you should rely on oil changes to keep your oil clean and free of contaminates.

images

Last edited:
do you really want to clean a filter verses tossing it in the trash, labor wise, the trash is better option.

The stainless filter would be good, if you think that you might down the bike, as water on a paper filter will collasp.

Money wise, unnecessary to replace filter every oil change, if doing frequent changes

do you really want to clean a filter verses tossing it in the trash, labor wise, the trash is better option.

The stainless filter would be good, if you think that you might down the bike, as water on a paper filter will collasp.

Money wise, unnecessary to replace filter every oil change, if doing frequent changes
A Quick run in the parts washer may take next to no time.

A quality stainless screen mesh filter can be a superb lifetime filter. They can also be found with impressive micron ratings.
I'd be interested in seeing where actual filtration efficiencies are given for an automotive product. Have you seen them?

The one the OP linked is not a good filter based on the numbers advertised.

Last edited:
If you really want to save some money over the long-term and don't mind fussing with the cleaning process, stainless mesh filters can be a good option *but* be sure you get a high quality filter! Most people simply want to get the service done and don't mind spending a little extra for ease & convenience, and time savings. I fall into this second category. I've had a reusable stainless mesh filter in the past and I just don't want to clean them anymore.

ive used a stainless reusable one for .... what decade is this ... oh yeah ... 22 years
i just use carb cleaner on it...put the air hose chuck on the inside....blowing the air and wrapping it in a paper towel...done in 2mins
ive gotten all 3 of mine from scotts (the steering damper guy) but others are similar

I'd be interested in seeing where actual filtration efficiencies are given for an automotive product. Have you seen them?

The one the OP linked is not a good filter based on the numbers advertised.
Why is it no good and they have another one i posted says its good to 35 micron

Back