01 focus overheating / boil over

Status
Not open for further replies.
A family friend has a 01 focus with the 2.0 zetec just had a water pump put on by me because it was leaking and the car did get hot apparently but not to bad. Well i said we should do thermostat to but was ignored (they arent the brightest crayon in the box)
Well the cars been overheating for the past 3 days or so. They keep driving and just pulling over and shutting it off when it gets warm.

But the thermostat hose is very hot like it is working. The gauge will be in the middle and it will start boiling the water and just blowing it out. And I mean blowing.
I took a meat thermometer and the water started blowing out at about 180 degrees. The oil cap is clean as is the dipstick.

I was kind of thinking head gasket. But wanted some thoughts from you guys. Thanks

Last edited:
The engine runs ok besides the coolant issue. Doesnt feel down on power.

First make sure you have enough coolant in there. If full you probably need to bleed the air out of the system.

There is I put close to two gallons in and it blew it back out after running for a few minutes. Wasnt like an air pocket it was like [censored] was squeezing out of that expansion tank.

How's the heat? Do we know that the water pump is turning, eg the pulley and impeller are on right?

The water pump is good. She says the heater is working I didnt check but I probably should....

Zetecs have a tendency to crack the thermostat housing and leak down the drivers side of the head/block. Replacements are available at most retail auto parts stores.
Definitely check the head gasket since it has already been hot.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
boiling at 180? you sure it has coolant in it and not just water?

It may have just water but water stilk doesnt boil at 180......

Since it appears that the head gasket might be blowing gasses into the coolant system here is a little trick that may help you. With the car stone cold, start it up and rev. it up few times. Shut it off and immediately remove pressure cap. If you hear air escaping, possibly with coolant, the head gasket is done for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ram_man
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
boiling at 180? you sure it has coolant in it and not just water?

It may have just water but water stilk doesnt boil at 180......

Nope, but all you need is a hotspot or compression leak to create steam, which will pressurise the system and shoot water out. The coolant that comes out won't be boiling though.

Test the cap. My 2000 Ford 4.6 coolant cap held about 1 psi when I tested it.

I'd change the cap first then the thermostat and that way you'll have some new parts on hand when you have to do the headgasket. Hooray!

btw, don't bother putting coolant in (just water) until it stops overheating.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Regardless of what is happening now or later, you will be taking the blame for this!

Not sure why you say that.
The water pump was leaking and the car overheated a few times. I told them that wasnt good and gave the reasons why. I said I would do the pump but I would also do the stat. They said they didnt want to spend the money. I gave them the repercussions of that. And npw its overheating again but the pump is fine. So it not my fault in anyway. They could blame me I guess but there isnt any validity in doing so. There poor decisions and stupidity caued this cars trouble. Penny wise and pound foolish. At its best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back