What gives!? (cooling/overheating issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shattered plastic coolant impellers are the first thing to come to my mind. Also, how well do your electric cooling fans work? Sometimes the cooling fans use a different sensor than the ones used for the gauges and/or the ECU. Do your cooling fan relays work?

Sometimes the fans activate only when the AC is on, if the cooling system does not function properly.

I think the answer might have been a simple one. I checked the bleeder screw (could only find one) and only coolant came out; no air. However I was able to add another half gallon or so of coolant. Test-drove another 25 miles or so and temperature stayed where it was supposed to. I'll top it up tomorrow to the "full cold" mark and test drive it one more time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
Impellers (on the water pump) can erode, fallen off or otherwise disintegrate.

I had a vehicle like this, years ago. Never fixed it it. But some point later was told it might have been the radiator cap? Didn't make sense to me, but the system was full.

No kidding. I had an old '72 Satellite that had knives swishing through the coolant where blades should have been. It can happen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back