0-20 motor oil

My GMC Canyon takes 5-30 and there is no alternative, but thats oK with me. There are still some GM engines that use 0-20. I did read that that was a fix for cam chains in the 3.6 V6, but i believe the problem has been fixed or so they say. i will probably use M1 5-30 DEXOS when I have to do my own oil changes. I ran Shell Rotella for small trucks in a GMC Envoy for a while and it was good oil. I may even use that as I am not a Pennzoil fan.

stick with the recommended oil, the manufacturer know's what they're doing. as for brand you can choose your flavor as long as it has and meets all the current standards. I never was a pennzoil fan myself. I would run Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge.

It's interesting you say that considering what was mentioned in the post I quoted below, the circumstance which also applies to my Hyundai as well. I have had good luck with the recommended 0w20 or 5w20 in some engines but in others, like my Hyundai GDI, they really only serve to make things worse over the long term. I will never put Xw-20 in my Hyundai GDI again.

I'm surprised GM is spec'ing 5w30. Wonder if this is a result of the timing chain issues they had a number of years ago where the official "fix" was to change from 5w20 to 5w30, and they have not yet updated that engine architecture for a proper fix?

It's interesting you say that considering what was mentioned in the post I quoted below, the circumstance which also applies to my Hyundai as well. I have had good luck with the recommended 0w20 or 5w20 in some engines but in others, like my Hyundai GDI, they really only serve to make things worse over the long term. I will never put Xw-20 in my Hyundai GDI again.
Awhile back Hyundai had a tech bulletin to follow a severe service oil change because of their GDI fuel dilution issues and believe they were opting a 5w30.

My GMC Canyon takes 5-30 and there is no alternative, but thats oK with me. There are still some GM engines that use 0-20. I did read that that was a fix for cam chains in the 3.6 V6, but i believe the problem has been fixed or so they say. i will probably use M1 5-30 DEXOS when I have to do my own oil changes. I ran Shell Rotella for small trucks in a GMC Envoy for a while and it was good oil. I may even use that as I am not a Pennzoil fan.
Yep, the timing chain issue was resolved years ago on the GM 3.6.

The GM 3.6 started off as a port injection engine (code LY7), and it had a tendency of wearing out timing chains. These engines aren’t favorable for long oci’s due to the long chains.

GM came out with the 3.6 direct injection (code LLT) for the 2009MY and it was quickly discovered that timing chains were failing. GM discovered that some LLT engine had improperly heat treated timing chain components, so they issued an extended warranty for the engines involved. IIRC, it extended for several model years. GM then issued a recall to recalibrate the OLM for vehicles equipped with LLT engines, shortening the OCI considerably.

The next 3.6 DI (code LFX) was the LLT replacement and was extensively reworked and does not have any known issues. It’s a solid engine.

Then there’s GM 3.6 DI (code LGX) which is the most recent iteration, it is based on the LFX but incorporates cylinder deactivation and auto start/stop.

To date, the LFX has no know design or durability issues. Expect normal rate of engine failure compared to the rest of the industry.

The LGX is still fairly new, but to my knowledge it doesn’t have widespread issues.

Regardless of which GM 3.6 one has in their vehicle, oil changes need to be on time. All the 3.6 DI engines should have the shortened OCI in the OLM. If you have an LLT engine, call your dealer and confirm the recall has been performed for the OLM recalibration. If you have the LY7 port injection engine I would change the oil at 5K miles. The OLM will let you take it to 10k+ miles on the LY7, the ones I’ve seen failed had extended and skipped oci’s.

Lots of good information, thanks. My Canyon is 2 weeks old and is 2021. I'm assuming mine is the LGX. It has more HP than any 6 cyl I've ever owned. I will most likely change oil on time not mileage. One year or 5,000 miles whatever comes first.

Yes, your Canyon will have the LGX. It is a very peppy engine, the cylinder deactivation is imperceptible when it switches to V4 mode. 5K miles oil changes sound like a good idea, it should give you many years and miles of trouble free driving.

I just read that the new 3.6 for 2021 is an LGZ. Almost all the specs are the same. that was the desigination code for the Canyon/Colorado. This engine has been in the twins since 2017 with many mods. Two timing chains and five sprockets instead of three chains and 8 sprockets with hardened chain parts, under piston oilers for cooling and higher compression capability, newer engine exhaust and many mods to the block and heads. Hopefully this will help me go many trouble free miles. All this plus cylinder deactivation, which I cannot detect when its working except for the light. There are many U-tube vids on doing the oil changes at no more than 5,000 mi. They all say not to wait for the oil life indicator. This I will do.

Last edited:

GM 3.6 Liter V-6 LGZ Engine​

The 3.6L V-6 LGZ is a gasoline engine produced by General Motors for mid-sized pickup trucks and SUVs. Displacing 3.6 liters in a V-6 configuration, the LGZ is part of GM’s second-generation double-overhead-cam engine architecture. It replaces the 3.6L V-6 LFX engine in the 2017 Chevrolet Colorado and 2017 GMC Canyon.
Overview
The LGZ makes its debut on the 2017 Chevy Colorado and 2017 GMC Canyon, where it makes an SAE-certified 308 horsepower (230 kW) at 6,800 rpm and 275 pound-feet (373 Nm) at 4,000 rpm.
Compared to the 3.6L V-6 LFX it replaces, the LGZ features an advanced suite of engine technologies, including:
  • Improved variable valve timing for intake and exhaust
  • Improved direct injection
  • Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation), which disables two cylinders under light throttle applications
The LGZ is based on GM’s 3.6L V-6 LGX engine, which launched GM’s second-generation double-overhead-cam engine architecture, but is tuned for truck use.

This is from GM Authority.

I've posted this before, but I'll do it again if it helps anyone out. My wife's '2011 Equinox with now 68k miles on it, has used oil since we got it at 35k miles. It was previously serviced by a Chevy dealer up to the point we bought it. I started off using dexos approved oil because that's what was specked. It ate that like candy. Tried other brands of oil, same results. The only thing I found that helped was using a heavier grade oil. It was using 1/2- 3-4 of a qt of oil every 750 miles. Being it's way out of warranty, we still got a letter from gm about a possible recall. But when my wife scheduled an appointment for them to do something about it, they were not in the least interested unless we wanted to pay for a new motor. Or, we would have to sue them. So I just started mixing my own mixture of 10/30 mixed with 10/40, and even 20/50 wts to slow the oil consumption. It appears to work in my case. Consumption is way down and the motor is super quiet cold or hot. I found that to be a more less expensive remedy than changing out the motor in a 10 year old car.,,

My apologies, yes the LGZ is the newest iteration with cylinder deactivation and other goodies, much like the LGX. I believe the Colorado/Canyon went to the LGZ for the 2018MY.

The LGX and LGZ are very similar, the LGZ is designed for truck usage but overall those two engines are very alike.

Edit: Looks like 2017MY was the first year for the LGZ, just like you said.

I've posted this before, but I'll do it again if it helps anyone out. My wife's '2011 Equinox with now 68k miles on it, has used oil since we got it at 35k miles. It was previously serviced by a Chevy dealer up to the point we bought it. I started off using dexos approved oil because that's what was specked. It ate that like candy. Tried other brands of oil, same results. The only thing I found that helped was using a heavier grade oil. It was using 1/2- 3-4 of a qt of oil every 750 miles. Being it's way out of warranty, we still got a letter from gm about a possible recall. But when my wife scheduled an appointment for them to do something about it, they were not in the least interested unless we wanted to pay for a new motor. Or, we would have to sue them. So I just started mixing my own mixture of 10/30 mixed with 10/40, and even 20/50 wts to slow the oil consumption. It appears to work in my case. Consumption is way down and the motor is super quiet cold or hot. I found that to be a more less expensive remedy than changing out the motor in a 10 year old car.,,
Ouch owning an Equinox

Thanks for all the imfo guys. I have a few free OS's at the dealer, after that I will still use 5-30 but possibly another brand. I read somewhere that someone posted that M1 5-30 made their engine feel sluggish. Not sure I buy that. I have been using M1 in many flavors for 20 years and no problems or any oil consumption.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^It's very common on here for oil to get the blame for this noise. You know the Owner's manual must be wrong..
Maybe not wrong, but not, shall we say...

Optimal
Correct
Good enough
Of maximum benefit
Right
Applicable
Talking about your use
Talking about something else
Talking about CAFE
Incorrect, as pertaining to your vehicle
Incorrect when referenced with overseas OM of car similar to yours but not yours

Maybe not wrong, but not, shall we say...

Optimal
Correct
Good enough
Of maximum benefit
Right
Applicable
Talking about your use
Talking about something else
Talking about CAFE
Incorrect, as pertaining to your vehicle
Incorrect when referenced with overseas OM of car similar to yours but not yours
But CKN is still correct, none of that long list is any real indication that the oil is to blame here.

Not only do many people try and blame the oil for things, they also try and fix same things with it as well.

But CKN is still correct, none of that long list is any real indication that the oil is to blame here.

Not only do many people try and blame the oil for things, they also try and fix same things with it as well.
Thank you, that is actually what I was trying to say lol, what is commonly said is that the owner's manual must be wrong and I always took that as an ode to what general kind of oil it says to use however I was expressing what you say.

Thanks for all the imfo guys. I have a few free OS's at the dealer, after that I will still use 5-30 but possibly another brand. I read somewhere that someone posted that M1 5-30 made their engine feel sluggish. Not sure I buy that. I have been using M1 in many flavors for 20 years and no problems or any oil consumption.

I ran 5w-30 in my 2019 Wrangler with the 3.6L V6. Ran great. I did not notice any difference in fuel economy, drivability, oil pressure, temperature, etc. from the 0w-20. I did notice the engine seemed a little quieter.
M1 is good stuff. It is currently in the wife's 2021 Cherokee 3.2L V6. It will be going in my Gladiator next oil change.

Back