0-20 motor oil

I have a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a V6 and it calls for 0-20 oil. It seems to be a bit noisy in the engine bay. I also just got a 2021 GMC Canyon V6 and it calls for 5-30 oil. Is this the new standard as I see most new GMC vehicles need 5-30. My Jeep seems like it would benefit from a bit thicker oil, but is under warranty. I will use what they reccomend, just a question I'm asking because when warranty is over i will probably use 5-30 in the jeep. The Jeep dealer uses Pennzoil and I'm not a fan, but I have free oil changes for the base warranty period. BTW both of these vehicles use a canister type filter, seems like a PIA to me. My belief is that it is designed to make it owner unfriendly so you get someone to do it in MHO.

Most, or at least many, new GM vehicles take either 5W-20 or 0W-20. The new Silverado/Sierras have been using 0W-20 for years now:

Viscosity Grade Use SAE 0W-20 viscosity grade for the 5.3L and 6.2L V8 engines. Use SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade for the 4.3L V6, and 6.0L V8 engines.

Cold Temperature Operation: In an area of extreme cold, where the temperature falls below −29 °C (−20 °F), an SAE 0W-30 oil may be used in the 4.3L or 6.0L engine. An oil of this viscosity grade will provide easier cold starting for the engine at extremely low temperatures. When selecting an oil of the appropriate viscosity grade, it is recommended to select an oil of the correct specification. See “Specification” earlier in this section.

The noise is likely from the direct injection fuel pumps. That’s just the way they are.

I agree, it is the same with many automakers who have embraced GDI engines. The majority of the engine noise that comes from my Hyundai GDI engine is from the high pressure GDI fuel injectors. If you want to quiet that engine down use a light Xw-30, Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and Idemitsu 5w30 come to mind.

stick with the recommended oil, the manufacturer know's what they're doing. as for brand you can choose your flavor as long as it has and meets all the current standards. I never was a pennzoil fan myself. I would run Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge.

I'm surprised GM is spec'ing 5w30. Wonder if this is a result of the timing chain issues they had a number of years ago where the official "fix" was to change from 5w20 to 5w30, and they have not yet updated that engine architecture for a proper fix?

I'm surprised GM is spec'ing 5w30. Wonder if this is a result of the timing chain issues they had a number of years ago where the official "fix" was to change from 5w20 to 5w30, and they have not yet updated that engine architecture for a proper fix?
I don’t recall the GM 3.6 LY7 listing 5W-20 as the oil type.

My 2016 Tahoe is a bit noisy. Been using 0w20 since day 1 [using only Mobil 1 and sometimes AC Delco] and have over 100K miles. I really hear it loud when I am idling using the drive thru at the bank. Cold mornings are loud until it is warmed up.

stick with the recommended oil, the manufacturer know's what they're doing. as for brand you can choose your flavor as long as it has and meets all the current standards. I never was a pennzoil fan myself. I would run Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge.
Do the engineers write the manuals? I’m sure viscosity recommendations have nothing to with fuel economy 🤥

I have a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a V6 and it calls for 0-20 oil. It seems to be a bit noisy in the engine bay. I also just got a 2021 GMC Canyon V6 and it calls for 5-30 oil. Is this the new standard as I see most new GMC vehicles need 5-30. My Jeep seems like it would benefit from a bit thicker oil, but is under warranty. I will use what they reccomend, just a question I'm asking because when warranty is over i will probably use 5-30 in the jeep. The Jeep dealer uses Pennzoil and I'm not a fan, but I have free oil changes for the base warranty period. BTW both of these vehicles use a canister type filter, seems like a PIA to me. My belief is that it is designed to make it owner unfriendly so you get someone to do it in MHO.

I would use whatever oil viscosity is specified in the OM. Our 2014 V6 Town & Country allows 5w30. Check your manual and maybe it will show the ability to use another viscosity.

As far as Pennzoil I’m not a fan either but I believe Chrysler has a deal with Pennzoil. I’m sure there are lots of cars on the road with that oil in them so nothing to worry about just personal preference.

On the canister filter I think it is 2 fold and sure a small pita. First off they are more environmentally friendly because they save on the steel case and they are cheaper to manufacture. Not necessarily cheaper to buy but cheaper to make. I’ve gotten use to the one in the van after several changes. They can be messy to change but a traditional filter would make a mess in the same location. My bigger concern with canister filters is what appears to be a dry start up due to lack of an ADBV. If the wife’s van sits for a while it rattles pretty good on start up.

Just my $0.02

Pennzoil Platinum was noisier on my 3.6 but Valvoline so far is the quietest. You swear the key is off going through the drive thru. Even with hood open.

The noise is likely from the direct injection fuel pumps. That’s just the way they are.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^It's very common on here for oil to get the blame for this noise. You know the Owner's manual must be wrong..

Back