0-20 instead 5-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a used truck, Nissan Frontier, and the dealer ''serviced'' it with 0-20 m.o. I thought about that,, looked in the book, and it calls for 5-30 m,o, Now with it being cold here, I really don't 'spect that will hurt anything, but I will change it to 5-30 in early spring, any thoughts on this, from anyone here?

Not really cod here until Jan.- Feb., 50-60 at daytime. I bought the truck in Jackson-- 75 miles away,,,, I still think the 0-20 will be fine til spring, though,,,,,,

I would have dealer put in what's supposed to be in the engine. Any warranty on this truck? Me personally always thicker than thinner.

I use this graph because it shows 5w30 and 0w20 viscosity in the cold.

attachment.php

At 0-C 0w20 will be visc around 375, a 5w30 will have a visc around 525. And you see the graph as far as the 5w30 will always be thicker.

Originally Posted by widetrax
Just bought a used truck, Nissan Frontier, and the dealer ''serviced'' it with 0-20 m.o. I thought about that,, looked in the book, and it calls for 5-30 m,o, Now with it being cold here, I really don't 'spect that will hurt anything, but I will change it to 5-30 in early spring, any thoughts on this, from anyone here?

\Given your geographical location, running 0w-20 in lieu of 5w-30 gains nothing, and given your particular application (nothing out of the ordinary about how the engine is operated), running 5w-30 over 0w-20 gains you notihng.

In other words, for all intents and purposes, you can consider the two oils to be effectively the same. Move onto the next problem in your life and work on resolving it; as this one is not a real problem at all.

For all those that responded with, "Take it back and make them do it right!" or some version of that, I have a serious question for you: Really? Is that what you would do? Why? It won't make one single bit of difference in how the vehicle's engine operates or how long it lives. So what's the point? To teach them a lesson? To right some perceived wrong?

I envy anyone that has the free time to waste making others redo tasks which were done without any effective problems to begin with and yet must insist on being done again just to satisfy some warped belief that the world has to be completely fair and and orderly merely because they want it to be.

Everyone has issues in their lives. Dealing with the important ones first is what matters. Despite what others might say, worrying about running 0w-20 versus 5w-30 when you drive around in the southern continental U.S. is not something to worry about.

Regards,
Nuke

Originally Posted by widetrax

What year and engine displacement?

Last edited:
I have the same engine in my XTerra and run 5w40 HDEO in it. I tried 5w30 recently and switched back to HDEO as it seems to make the engine run quieter at idle. I wouldn't run 5w20 in it ever, especially with the off roading and towing I do with it.

Surprised they put in 0W20. Typically 0W20 is pricier than dealer's bulk 5W30.
Maybe it is just a typo.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
For all those that responded with, "Take it back and make them do it right!" or some version of that, I have a serious question for you: Really? Is that what you would do?

All talk..... Most would huff and puff but not do it in the end. Or they'll claim they'd never let anyone, let alone a stealership, touch their car.
Originally Posted by OilUzer
Surprised they put in 0W20. Typically 0W20 is pricier than dealer's bulk 5W30. Maybe it is just a typo.

Very likely this is what happened.The service writer simply picked the wrong oil change selection from the computer while the technician put in the proper oil.

The truth is the only way you'll know is to have the oil analyzed. That costs money. It could have been a honest mistake, there could be the right oil in it. We can speculate about it and offer opinions, unfortunately no facts. If it bothers you enough change it. That's what I'd do.

No worries. Been running 0w-20 in my 2002 Silverado 5.3 that calls for 5w-30 for 15k miles now. No issues and I even tow a 4klbs trailer.

Drive the truck with the 0w20 until it is time for next oil change and then put in your choice and weight of oil

The 0w20 will be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back