Ford vs GM manufacturing capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to see anyone loose their job, it's a fear for me as well, but GM should have realigned their production capacity 30yrs ago. Why build vehicles that don't make you money? Chances are, the employers you and I work for would have adjusted accordingly decades ago.

I like the looks of most sedans and always have, but after years of truck, SUV, CUV and minivan ownership, I want nothing to do with falling into, crawling out of and banging my head against the roof line getting in/out of a sedan. We thought nothing of this decades ago, but times have changed.

They had the chance with the NUMMI plant. Toyota was willing to work with GM.

The plant managers were close to deities and fought against it.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/403/transcript

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125229157

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125430405

Originally Posted by JTK
I hate to see anyone loose their job, it's a fear for me as well, but GM should have realigned their production capacity 30yrs ago. Why build vehicles that don't make you money? Chances are, the employers you and I work for would have adjusted accordingly decades ago.

I like the looks of most sedans and always have, but after years of truck, SUV, CUV and minivan ownership, I want nothing to do with falling into, crawling out of and banging my head against the roof line getting in/out of a sedan. We thought nothing of this decades ago, but times have changed.

I had 3 tours of the NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA. Used to be a GM plant; our 1965 4-4-2 was built there and I have the build sheet.
When NUMMI started making Corollas and Geo's (same car except badges), studies showed the Fremont built Corollas were proving to be higher quality than the Japanese built cars.
Toyota did a study and found the combination of the Japanese manufacturing style and American workers was creating really good cars.
My 1993 Toyota 4WD Pickup was built there.

Toyota learned from the study and apparently GM said "Meh..."
When they closed, Toyota was building a line for Tundras.
Now we have Elon's wonderful Teslas. Gonna get me one one of these days.

Last edited:
Ford is a truck company who happens to also sell cars at steep discounts so they can meet CAFE standards. But when they set their minds to it, their SVT department can't be touched for bang for the buck.

Originally Posted by thastinger
Ford is a truck company who happens to also sell cars at steep discounts so they can meet CAFE standards. But when they set their minds to it, their SVT department can't be touched for bang for the buck.

A panoramic photo of our small town Ford lot would prove your point ... only you would not see the cars because the wall of Super Duty series block the view ...

Part of the move away from sedans and into SUV, CUV and pickup trucks is due to the whims of trendiness. For more than a few folks , driving something that is not keeping with the current trends is a no-no.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Sitting in the dental waiting area .. game show host says "a new car" !!!!

Look up and it's a frog looking KIA ...

Welcome to 2019 ...

LOL!!

I remember in the 70's when Bob Barker was giving away Ford Pintos and Chevy Vegas.

..................... and the contestants were so excited?

And all those early 80's Chevy Citations they gave away, too.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Part of the move away from sedans and into SUV, CUV and pickup trucks is due to the whims of trendiness. For more than a few folks , driving something that is not keeping with the current trends is a no-no.

This. It is always about fashion or everyone would be driving a Prius or minivan.

Originally Posted by PandaBear

This. It is always about fashion or everyone would be driving a Prius or minivan.

How so? I was never a truck guy. Bought my first one in 2014 and shortly afterwards "got it". It was fast (IIRS 1st or 2nd fastest truck with 0-60 #'s that hang with or exceed many "sports cars"), it swallowed tons of stuff (5 people + gear), got decent fuel economy (18-19) and was comfortable. Running to Home Depot - can put it in the bed. Need mulch - bed it is. Bought that oversized thing - bed. Vacation - tons of room and comfort. Snow - pop it in 4wd and proceed carefully.

If I had to go back to 1 vehicle, it would be the truck. It's that versatile and useful.

I've driven a few Prius'. Dreadful cars but great on the gas mileage. Nothing I'd want to live with day to day.

Originally Posted by JTK

You hit the nail right on the head! In July I bought the Traverse which is of course a CUV. My oldest daughter bought the Impala from us. She needed to haul something so we traded cars. I had forgotten and was shocked at how much more comfortable and easy to get in and out of the Traverse was. I love driving the Impala - it has plenty of power, decent handling and the brakes are about the best of any vehicle I've ever owned but I will not go back to a sedan.

The Traverse has the same 3.6 DI engine as the Impala, but of course due to a number of factors (like size, tires, gearing, etc.) gets lower MPG and less power but at my age I don't care. It is well worth the few extra dollars per tankful to be comfortable and to not hit my shoulder getting in and out.

Last edited:

Toyota is trying to market the Prius to our small town rednecks

AC6107D4-D901-4B1E-ADE8-D07E63406315.jpeg

Just came off a long road trip up and down I-95,I-81,I-26-I-77. Mostly saw Tahoe,Suburban,Yukon,Silverado,Traverse,F150 and Explorer. Did not see many sedans at all. My motel parking lot when I came out in the am looked like a large Chevrolet-GMC dealership.

Originally Posted by itguy08e

How so? I was never a truck guy. Bought my first one in 2014 and shortly afterwards "got it". It was fast (IIRS 1st or 2nd fastest truck with 0-60 #'s that hang with or exceed many "sports cars"), it swallowed tons of stuff (5 people + gear), got decent fuel economy (18-19) and was comfortable. Running to Home Depot - can put it in the bed. Need mulch - bed it is. Bought that oversized thing - bed. Vacation - tons of room and comfort. Snow - pop it in 4wd and proceed carefully.

If I had to go back to 1 vehicle, it would be the truck. It's that versatile and useful.

I've driven a few Prius'. Dreadful cars but great on the gas mileage. Nothing I'd want to live with day to day.

Follow the money, the company cars like securities, uber / lyft / taxi, couriers, etc know what they are doing. I'm not saying what you did is not practical and useful, what I'm saying is that we buy what we "want" instead of what is the most useful thing.

For people who just need an economic ride, they don't need fast, snow, home depot run, hauling 5 people, etc day in and day out, 18 mpg is still way lower than 55 for 80% of the trip. Back in the days people drive in snow fine with chains and drive station wagons, that's practical. Today the same crowd would have driven minivan, instead of a full size 4wd crew cab.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by itguy08e

Follow the money, the company cars like securities, uber / lyft / taxi, couriers, etc know what they are doing. I'm not saying what you did is not practical and useful, what I'm saying is that we buy what we "want" instead of what is the most useful thing.

For people who just need an economic ride, they don't need fast, snow, home depot run, hauling 5 people, etc day in and day out, 18 mpg is still way lower than 55 for 80% of the trip. Back in the days people drive in snow fine with chains and drive station wagons, that's practical. Today the same crowd would have driven minivan, instead of a full size 4wd crew cab.

Minivans get worse gas mileage then my C.C. 4x4. At least the minivan is a quicker ride. Full size vans reak has mileage in the mid teens. Trust me I have about 30K miles in experience driving all of the above this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back