Planning on buying a new fleet of cars this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks all. Please bear with as I'm using my iPad and post later at night because my brain is a little mushy from the work day.

Originally Posted by dogememe
I'd look for a 2010+ GM. Some of the earlier years of that generation had major issues with the AFM/DOD.

I'm seeing that is an issue in my research. Might explain why the early years have a steeper than expected price drop.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by NO2
1. 2013 Tahoe, 2018 Ford Flex, 2015-2018 Highlander, 2014-2015 Lexus GX. Also look at 2018/2019 AWD Sienna.
2. All listed options good, add 2016-2018 Subaru Legacy.
3. See above. Just get an AWD car for all seasons.
4. 2016 Subaru Impreza. You will probably have to pay a bit more, there are not many low cost AWD reliable and safe cars.

Subarus can be sluggish, perfect for #4 but look for the 6 cyl models for #2/#3

I might put 2/3 together but we like having an "extra" car since we are always short a car nowadays.

We have owned Tahoe/Yukon SUV's for years … but you'd want to look at one with a two speed transfer case and that tends to come with the best trailer package … lots of extra cooling. That box will have 2Hi, Auto 2/4, 4Hi, and 4Lo
They will have a G80 locker … both rears pull solid.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
You can get really good deals on AWD Cadillacs - they CTS and XTS were available in AWD. The XTS probably meets your midsize/large AWD luxury car needs.

Any GM big SUV will take care of your needs.

An Impala (2015+) is a really nice car for your regular commute car. Very good prices on them too in the used market. Also look at the Camrys, Accords and all but I think you will find the Impala very competitive.

That is good to know. TBH I do not know very much about the 4wd system in these vehicles. I definitely want durability and reliability but also ease of use.

I might look into the XTS, I hadn't considered them. I don't think the Impala is Awd and they are discontinued which is good and bad I suppose.

Originally Posted by madRiver
With 2nd gen MDX(2007-2013) skip the 2010-2013. They for whatever reason consume oil and tend to be less reliable.

Why number 3 car or you have enough drivers for 4 total on road none sitting?

Your son skip the clutch of AWD so they can quickly learn and know slippery and how to properly keep speed. $7500 mid size sedan is likely better choice.

I do like the earlier ones as well for the styling. Good to know about that.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Wife- GMC Denali

You- Ford Fusion

Winter Car- Subaru Forester

Son- Subaru Forester

Buy the Foresters from a desert climate.

Indeed I think the Mrs is partial to the GM but hasn't driven anything. I would consider the Fusion or the Lincoln version depending on how it drives and the backseat comfort. An acquaintance recommended I look at the MKS.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Don't let your son talk you into helping him get a WRX.

As it turns out he isn't into fast cars. A couple of his friends died in a bad accident last year so he wants safe and easy to work on. He basically just goes to school, work, gym, out with friends.

Originally Posted by JoelB
Why replace so many cars at once? Seems like asking for trouble or headache.

My wife's car is in need of replacement, mechanically it's okay but other bits of the car aren't so great. Even with winter tires the frontier wheel drive is dicey in heavy ice and snow.

My car is just too small. My parents were going to move out here this year and the back seat isn't comfortable for ferrying people around for long periods of time.

Every so often for my business I need to drive to a facility that's pretty far away and access is via a road that isn't paved. It beats up the Acura and me pretty good. Thus something I can drive in winter and off-road where it's older so chips and dents don't aggravate me too much.

Originally Posted by MCompact
The F10 5er is a Bavarian Park Avenue- and I don't mean that as a compliment.

I don't know if that would bother me so much given my other vehicle options. I think I'm the kind of buyer that BMW was trying to get but that purists hate.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by slug_bug
#2 2017 Genesis G80 AWD

Originally Posted by dtownfb
If you're committed to buying 4 cars as you described....

1) 2016/17 Toyota Sienna AWD.

2) Off lease Accord or Camry. Look for the upgraded motors in each for a better driving experience. Are snow tires an option?

3) 3 -4 year old - Audi Q5/Acura RDX/etc

4) $7000 doesn't get you much for an AWD vehicle. Maybe a 1st gen Highlander along with the Pilot. They were smaller but you still see a bunch on the road. He will have trouble fitting comfortably in an older Subaru. BTW Check with your insurance agent on rates.

Good luck

I know Mrs wants the ground clearance as she's seen Siennas stuck in some of the heavier snow. And definitely winter tires.

Not a lot out there for 7k for sure. I know he doesn't want to get jammed into a smaller car.

Originally Posted by donnyj08
1. Kia Telluride, Toyota Highlander
2. 2015-2017 Hyundai Genesis AWD Sedan
3. Use the above vehicles and save money.
4.13-14' Ford Escape 2.5L AWD

Not sure we can get a new Telluride for 30k. My brother was looking to buy and all dealers were marking up. Might change now with the economic changes. We are buying cash so I think that might be good for dealing.

For 2/3 I was thinking two cars for the reasons listed above. One car would get beaten up pretty good so I'm perfectly happy with older cars. Total budget whether one or two is still 20-25k. The first gen genesis look good and I can sneak one of those 2015-2017 in as well.

I totally didn't think of the Ford Escape. Maybe it was because they seem on the small size for him. He definitely want something to wrench on but also comfortable. He doesn't care about having a nice car.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
2500 Suburban? The fuel economy hit isn't that bad given the very stout drivetrain. Some even get better MPG out of a VVT 6.0L vs a underpowered AFM 5.3L found in 1500 Suburbans.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/t-Used-Chevrolet-Suburban-2500-LS-4WD-t38376#listing=268628767

I think we would do the Suburban with the larger engine. It's likely that two or three of the cars we end up having might see 20 mpg in a blue moon but when we are all in one car we would prefer the extra power seeing as how the fuel economy is going to be pretty bad regardless.

There is lots of room for large beefy driveline components under a full sized body on frame SUV …
The transfer case, transmission, differentials, engine etc … all very easy to change the lubes in ….

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Wife- GMC Denali

You- Ford Fusion

Winter Car- Subaru Forester

Son- Subaru Forester

Buy the Foresters from a desert climate.

BORING suggestions.

Sadly it looks like we won't be actually even looking or test driving for awhile, but definitely taking the time to organize and research suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back