Shopped large GM SUVs, bought a Ford despite 5.4 3V issues

Never had an Excursion but they do seem awesome.

V-10!

I would travel very far to get another pre-2000 Eddie Bauer.
One of my teachers had an Excursion he loved it he had me do all of the maintenance in the school parking lot lol. And I still do it for him at his house. They are great along with the Expedition both are gas hogs lol.

One of my teachers had an Excursion he loved it he had me do all of the maintenance in the school parking lot lol. And I still do it for him at his house. They are great along with the Expedition both are gas hogs lol.

Yes.. but as a Blazer fan myself, they make me wonder why I like a Blazer. The Expedition is better in every way except performance and gas mileage.

It even looks good.

Yes.. but as a Blazer fan myself, they make me wonder why I like a Blazer. The Expedition is better in every way except performance and gas mileage.

It even looks good.
Lol I personally am not a fan of the Blazer unless we are taking the old old ones then they are alright. But yes I have always like the Fords and have always had good experience and reliability from Ford.

I’ve owned a few Fords never had nearly as many issues as the former GM products we had.
doubt you are old enough to have owned as many vehicles as me … regardless, we over payed to get my wife exactly what she wanted and we were both disappointed with the mechanical issues it had … you can’t keep driving a vehicle with carbon monoxide cabin issues - and Ford had no TSB at the time. The PTU was not serviceable unless you removed the exhaust … and the 18 ounces of oil was being cooked by that exhaust while managing serious torque. Failures were common. In between 36k and 39k the battery failed and the AC started leaking refrigerant … on my dime.

doubt you are old enough to have owned as many vehicles as me … regardless, we over payed to get my wife exactly what she wanted and we were both disappointed with the mechanical issues it had … you can’t keep driving a vehicle with carbon monoxide cabin issues - and Ford had no TSB at the time. The PTU was not serviceable unless you removed the exhaust … and the 18 ounces of oil was being cooked by that exhaust while managing serious torque. Failures were common. In between 36k and 39k the battery failed and the AC started leaking refrigerant … on my dime.
If it was newer than I can see your issues most new cars are going to have those issues. My Escape is a 2008 model it’s great only have had to do brake calipers on it and regular maintenance. My 1994 Econoline had to replace a Throttle Position Sensor and a MAP sensor and the General maintenance items on it too. During my life between me and my parents we have had I’d guess around 15-20 cars my dad has had a lot more than me in his life though.

Lol I personally am not a fan of the Blazer unless we are taking the old old ones then they are alright. But yes I have always like the Fords and have always had good experience and reliability from Ford.

Is "old old" a S10 Blazer 4-door from 1991 to 1994? Or like anything from 89 to 2005

If it was newer than I can see your issues most new cars are going to have those issues. My Escape is a 2008 model it’s great only have had to do brake calipers on it and regular maintenance. My 1994 Econoline had to replace a Throttle Position Sensor and a MAP sensor and the General maintenance items on it too. During my life between me and my parents we have had I’d guess around 15-20 cars my dad has had a lot more than me in his life though.
Right, almost every vehicle on the road has these same problems by 39k … uh-huh

Indeed, they do. At least the new ones..
Absolutely right lol. When I worked at the dealership all we would see practically is cars made in the last 3-5 years with electronic related problems or some type of other problems never seen nothing too old so that tells you something there. Especially the info screens and push button start those are the worst about failing nowadays.

Here we go again-people bashing new vehicles that can't afford them in the first place.

Was it the plastic fitting that failed? I've not had any trouble with mine, so far. I'd better check it.

Yes, the plastic T failed. It was somewhat disturbing how easily it crumbled when snipped the reinforcing ribs. We took the vehicle to South Padre the first week we had it and realistically that could have failed on the road and left us on the shoulder in 95F heat and humidity, and there's a stretch of 75 miles between Kingsville and Harlingen with zero services on the road.

I know the OEMS are trying to save weight but I mean you're only saving a few ounces with the plastic T versus an aluminum one. But anyway. No matter what brand you have, check your heater hoses if they have plastic joins in them.

Use Ford parts, Dorman is trash & won't last 10 years.

I replace Dorman junk heater core Quick Connects on GM & Ford trucks all the time because O-ring leakage. And the worm gear clamps just tear up the heater hoses.

While I would agree that the Dorman part is probably more prone to nuisance leaks than the Ford part, I feel better about it's resistance to total failure of the plastic T and other junctions, being that the junctions are aluminum as opposed to plastic. I would rather have the quick connects leak some than have a complete failure of a junction that leaves me on the side of the road. I can get home with a leak. I can't get home if all my coolant is on the road. Personal choice on my part. Plus I can buy two of the Dorman hoses online for what one of the Ford ones cost, so I'm looking at it as, just replace it twice as often.

Maybe in a few years I'll be saying, man I wish I listened to that Clinebarger guy. We'll see.

The clamps aren't worm clamps, they're the type you use pliers with, not sure what the correct name for those are. These ones:
Screenshot 2020-11-18 085209.jpg

Back