Rust Proofing - Now you can get it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corrosion is more active in the spring when the weather is wet / humid. People think it's best to do in the fall before salt season but it's actually not.
smile.gif

used engine oil and kerosene in a garden sprayer. cheap and plentiful. old timers swear by it. gonna do it to my fleet of vehicles soon.

Originally Posted By: Oilis_Oil
used engine oil and kerosene in a garden sprayer. cheap and plentiful. old timers swear by it. gonna do it to my fleet of vehicles soon.

That sounds like an environmental and carcinogenic disaster....

It's not the lubricating effect of the oil that prevents rust either. It's what's in the compound that freely gives up it's electrons so the metal it is protecting doesn't have to, thus discouraging corrosion/rust. The oil is only the carrier that makes it seep into rust prone places and make it adhere to the metal.

Using used motor oil might give you some effect of rust prevention but it's most likely not ideal and it is also not good for the environment and not healthy for the person applying it either.

Last edited:
Thought I'd put my 2 cents in on this topic as I am now on my second season with a product ( New Hampshire oil undercoating) I sprayed on my 2009 Ford F350. I'm in the west coast mountain region of Canada, so they use a lot of salt, sand and magnesium chloride to keep the roads safe. I have to say this stuff is great and protects the undercarriage from the nasty winter rust.:) I apply it every August or September and I'm good all winter. Takes me around 1-1.5 hours to spray on and takes 1.5 gallons oil. If your interested here are some video's of my experience with the product.

First application:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dmzrjyLBa4

6 Month Review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV9vpakPfcc

Second Application:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4MdcnnVx0g&t=4s

Originally Posted By: A310
P.S. I'm not affiliated nor sponsored from NHUC, just like good products.:)

Uh-Huh... Sure you aren't.
lol.gif
(J/K)

Don't forget to the inside the doors so it can creep into the folds of the metal as well as quarter panels etc. Also under the hood brake lines / shock towers.

Rust is supposedly most active in the spring when humidity is higher and second to that when metal is wet with some sort of salt in the moisture like wet winter days.

True, I do the inside of doors, pillars, rocker, and quarter panels as well. Oil creeps well and I don't wash underneath my truck till spring:) Neighbor was curios, so I sprayed his car with Fluid Film to compare the 2.:) Never video'd that as he wasn't comfortable be taped.:)

If you live in a high salt area, that stuff hangs around on roadways well into spring. No data to back it up but what I see.

Oh yeah for sure and the new liquid with Calcium Chloride and Beet juice they are spraying on the roads is sticky as heck. I take my vehicle regularly for a high pressure wash every couple of weeks in the winter to get this [censored] off the body.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back