Jeep Corrosion Warranty Boondoggle

This is a fun one. My girlfriend's JL Moab Wrangler had the very common galvanic corrosion showing on the Hood, two doors, and door hinges. Basically, looked like rust bubbles but special aluminum ones. If you don't know, all these newer Wranglers and Gladiators have this. Some get it after only a year. There's a 200+ page thread on the main Jeep Forum about it.

It went in on November 4th to be fixed. They had it for a month. I made sure to go with her to pick it up because I know my paint. I don't do it for a living, but I've been painting cars myself for about 5 years and doing detailing and correction work for over 15 years.

On the first attempt they spot-repaired all the bad spots and did not re-clear the panels, they blended the clear into the small sections about 3"x8" and then buffed it hard. I know Ford replaces whole panels when they have corrosion under warranty. Jeep apparently Does Not. In one area they left it wet-sanded and forgot to buff it. The paint was micro-marred badly where they worked. On the Hood, they had to take a MOAB sticker off to fix it and opted to peel stickers off both sides since they didn't have replacements and left it that way... They chipped up the hood when removing the stickers with, I'm guessing, a razor blade. It looked like the best job a guy using spray cans could do. So I talked this out with the Service Director and everyone was in agreement that it was not acceptable work. I was assured that the shop usually does great work and it would be made right. I implied that I thought the shop was taking advantage of the dealership.

Yesterday it was ready to view after attempt 2. And my god they did a great job. This time they resprayed the whole hood and whole door panels color and clear. And they did an excellent job, not a speck of overspray, a fisheye, or a flaw, aside from the factory orange peel which they matched on the doors but flowed the hood out nicely (I would have done the same). Stickers were on and actually straight.

But these idiots didn't get the right color variant and it doesn't match at all! I called the paint supply place I use and there are 3 variants of this black in this single year. And again, the Director did not argue at all. She was going to make the body shop owner drive to the dealership and look at it himself.

I did get a little BS feedback from the Bodyshop that color shows differently on aluminum panels than on steel. Which is a weird lie.

Attachments

• 20221228_121648.jpg
    20221228_121648.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 344
  • 20221228_121708.jpg
    20221228_121708.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Don't need to be a detailer to tell something went all wrong here. And there.

ha, definitely not in this case. But they did need someone who could articulate the issues the first time around. I would guess most people would have left with it after the first attempt. My GF didn't even notice the missing decals.

Man, sorry to hear. Why do newer Jeeps have this quality problem in the fist place? And even if fixed, could it reoccur on other panels?

Man, sorry to hear. Why do newer Jeeps have this quality problem in the fist place? And even if fixed, could it reoccur on other panels?

So, the theory is that because Jeep placed metal hinges on aluminum panels with no gasket or coating, its created galvanic corrosion because they're dissimilar metals. It's a reaction to the two touching. Not like a typical rust issue. Supposedly the 2023's have gaskets on the hinges. Some guys on the forums have had to repaint the same panels twice in just 3 years. The body shop doesn't fix the issue at all. It will keep corroding.

So, the theory is that because Jeep placed metal hinges on aluminum panels with no gasket or coating, its created galvanic corrosion because they're dissimilar metals. It's a reaction to the two touching. Not like a typical rust issue. Supposedly the 2023's have gaskets on the hinges. Some guys on the forums have had to repaint the same panels twice in just 3 years. The body shop doesn't fix the issue at all. It will keep corroding.

Do the 2023’s have the same hinges? Then they could have installed the gaskets on this one.

I know issues with new cars is frustrating.

Sometimes its best to leave well enough alone, things that involve dealers painting stuff almost always fall into the category.

Sorry OP.

This could prove or disprove that theory depending on what the hinges are made of:

Here are just a couple spots I have photos of. But there were several others.

Attachments

• 127938.jpeg
    127938.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Screenshot_20221228_101148.jpg
    Screenshot_20221228_101148.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 151
Consider this. The JK with the identical door/hood but made of steel does not have any problems.

Doesn't mean that was the only change. Aren't there vehicles with aluminum hoods and steel hinges? Why yes, yes there are. And they don't have these problems, do they?

But these idiots didn't get the right color variant and it doesn't match at all! I called the paint supply place I use and there are 3 variants of this black in this single year. And again, the Director did not argue at all. She was going to make the body shop owner drive to the dealership and look at it himself.
Reminds me of a friend who had to get some deep scratches fixed on his black Dodge Challenger. It took multiple trips to the body shop, eventually culminating in a trip to their "flagship" location to supposedly be taken care of by their best guys.... Each visit to the shop resulted in increasingly-larger areas of swirls or mis-matched paint none of which matched the original paint on the car. It was disappointing to get the call from the shop manager that the car was finished and ready to be picked up only to find the new paint was a "brownish" black and not a "black" black. If I recall, in the end the entire car got repainted so that it would all match!

Here are just a couple spots I have photos of. But there were several others.
I remember that happening on the (aluminum) hood of my Expedition (that happened long out of warranty and Ford never did anything about). Eventually it flaked off in a pretty large chunk.

There have been a lot of issues with aluminum paint adhesion, Ford was notorious for it on hoods and gates.

That's different from corrosion caused by electrolysis, which is the current (no pun intended) theory.

It probably IS defective paint. Especially if it's happening nowhere near the steel parts that are bolted to the aluminum.

Go back far enough and Ford was having problems with paint on steel, too.

That's different from corrosion caused by electrolysis, which is the current (no pun intended) theory.

It probably IS defective paint. Especially if it's happening nowhere near the steel parts that are bolted to the aluminum.

Yeah, I'm agreeing with you, based on where the spots were that the OP posted, it looks more like the Ford problem.

I wonder why they are having these paint problems? I have two vehicles with aluminum hoods, one's a 2006, one's a 2013, they are both fine. But they are GM products. They do get driven in the winter in the salt.
This is a beauty:

They also had to replace every door hinge for corrosion on her Jeep.

There was a theory that the Ford hood issues were caused by them using the same stamps for metal and aluminum hoods, small amounts of metal transferred onto hoods during production. That could be the issue here. All panel corrosion was near a fold.

Last edited:
Back