Amsoil SS 5w-20, 62,000 miles, '11 Ford Expedition

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first I was like oh.

But then I realized what you're doing and now it's like OH.

Bypass filters are awesome for long drains. You're still more brave than I would be!
smile.gif
I feel brave enough running to the OLM (7-9k) on the Hondas I maintain...

I guess the bypass filter is removing iron, since its not increasing. I thought iron particles would be mostly under 2 microns and make it through any filter.
Also, a magnetic drain plug might help too.
Enough make-up oil is being added to keep additives going, as TBN is hanging in there.
Viscosity is only up about 10%, not much.

Good experiment. But I'd change at 60K for sure. I'd think I had my money's worth at 20K. You are a braver man than I am
laugh.gif

But, with the by-pass filters, the reports are looking good. So you are onto something
smile.gif

Last edited:
lot of at full temp miles running good, love to know an avg. speed, as I suspect your also at severe duty.

Thanks for the post.

Are you towing with the rig or just driving?

3.87 base number is moderately low? Seems like plenty of alkalinity left especially since you were lower than that on two other samples.

When you indicate you changed filters - is that the full flow filter, or the bypass filter?

UD

Thanks for all the great posts guys.
The latest 6k uoa took a little more out of the add pack than the previous 6k run. I made a 15 day 5700 mile run from Chicago to Vancouver by way of Reno and back thru Calgary. Hours of cruise control running 75-80mph. I don't tow anything, but W bound I-80 is usually met by a pretty stiff 20-35 mph headwind. This uoa was my 1st change on my 60k mile Bypass filter. I changed my full flow filter at 25k, and 50k. This bypass filter set up has been kind of a dance in keeping the TBN up in between filter changes and makeup oil. My next filter change will be at 75k miles. I'll post an update then.

Originally Posted By: Crusher
This uoa was my 1st change on my 60k mile Bypass filter. I changed my full flow filter at 25k, and 50k. This bypass filter set up has been kind of a dance in keeping the TBN up in between filter changes and makeup oil. My next filter change will be at 75k miles. I'll post an update then.

This is very, very interesting stuff!

Again, how many total make up quarts so far?

Originally Posted By: Crusher
...a 15 day 5700 mile run from Chicago to Vancouver by way of Reno and back thru Calgary...

What do you do for a living? I'm sure many people from Chicago (a wonderful place, I hear) get to Vancouver and want to stay. Was going back through Calgary some kind of a penalty? It's a lovely drive and Calgary's great, but if you're Chicago-bound, I90 east from Seattle just makes more sense.

75-80 in a head wind is severe duty, you have a good motor and wonderful lube sysstem, congratulations.

Trans Canada highway is a wonderful adventure. Lots to see going either way. We'll do it again sometime. I love the pace that things unfold. Sort of like the Twilight Zone
laugh.gif

Good on you for the experiment
smile.gif

Unfortunately, your UOA does not show an "acid number" and therefor we can't see if you have crossed the TBN vs TAN equivalence point ... That is often the determinant of a used up oil ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back