I bought way too much oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stash whatever I can find at a good deal also. I'm finally almost through the Mobil 5000 I picked up about 7 years ago. Yes, I still use seven year old oil. I think i'm down to my last 5 quart jug on that deal. My latest score was the WM deal for the online full synthetic 5w20 @ $8 a gallon. I like your style!

My stash is incentive to keep my car until I use it all up....
Okay....
I know 5w-30 PP/PPP can be used in virtually any car....still....
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I have a lot of oil too. Bought 70 qts of magnatec 0-20,5-20,3-30 for $.05 for a total of $3.50 plus tax. I'll never use it all so I've been giving most of it away. Makes me feel good.

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
I have a lot of oil too. Bought 70 qts of magnatec 0-20,5-20,3-30 for $.05 for a total of $3.50 plus tax. I'll never use it all so I've been giving most of it away. Makes me feel good.

I need some 3-30. Where can I get it?

Yeah, I want some 3-30. 0W seems to thin. 5W may be unnecessarily thick (
laugh.gif
). 3W would be great
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: johnnylove
I appreciate the replies.

I just wanted to share because no one else besides you guys know this oil buying binge I went on. To be truthful I'd be very embarrassed if anyone saw how much oil I had. It's not like I couldn't help myself.

Changing my oil and testing my oil and researching why certain oil types are better is very satisfying to me. Just like how I like mowing my yard, cutting the grass, the exercise, looking at my lawn afterward... Just something very satisfying about it.

Thanks again. Oh, and why would I even bother seeing a professional with my psychiatric problem, with what professionals charge today I could use that to buy 6-8 more 5 qt jugs of motor oil. lol.
laugh.gif
grin.gif
smirk.gif
That's a joke btw. Go for cowboy.

I'm out!
whistle.gif

Great reply. Made me smile.
11.gif

I just returned 14 quarts of m1 0w20ep. The shopping cart was quite heavy ! Somehow i manuvered it to customer service. Customer service lady was "oh my god why did you buy so much oil ". I kept 2 quarts. Just could not part with them.
The garage looks professional with different brands on display
smile.gif

Everyone is ocd about something. Some people are ocd about not being ocd !

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Originally Posted By: oliveoil

I need some 3-30. Where can I get it?

Walmart can help you with mixing 3 qts 5W30 with 2 qts of 0W30 ..yielding 5 qts 3W..
laugh.gif

When I herd Rotella T6 was changing to CK 4 and wasn't going to have the SM rating for my Subaru WRX I bought 23 gallons of it. It all was about 21 bucks a gallon and am still going through the 5 dollars off a gallon with rebate. About half way through thm. I only drive that car currently 5000 miles a year, at that test I have app 20+ years of oil for the car.

With the GM Dexos 2nd gen due this fall, I have stopped my hoarding. 144 qts of various synthetics and weights going back to SM and even some old SJ. I have replaced my old 97 malibu and 06 grand prix with a 2005 Chrysler 300c (5w20) and a 2010 Buick lacrosse (5w30 Dexos backspecification). I can use some of the old stuff changing oil for friends and some of my OPE, but I think with all the D.I. and boosted engines being produced, its prudent to not get too far ahead on oil stashes. But man, the MOBIL 1 rebate is so hard to pass up.

Last edited:
With the Walmart glitch with the Valvoline oil. I have enough oil for 5 oil changes for my daughters car.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
I just returned 14 quarts of m1 0w20ep. The shopping cart was quite heavy ! Somehow i manuvered it to customer service. Customer service lady was "oh my god why did you buy so much oil ". I kept 2 quarts. Just could not part with them.
The garage looks professional with different brands on display
smile.gif

Everyone is ocd about something. Some people are ocd about not being ocd !

I always asked myself the same question about the massive stash sizes on here. But as I mentioned-those who hoard oil are a very small minority on here. They just like to post pictures to commensurate with fellow hoarders! One BITOG member has a 12 year supply....yes a 12 year supply. I suspect we will see a thread when he moves or disposes of the car titled-"How do I get rid of all this oil"?

My stash is at Walmart.......

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
I always asked myself the same question about the massive stash sizes on here. But as I mentioned-those who hoard oil are a very small minority on here. They just like to post pictures to commensurate with fellow hoarders! One BITOG member has a 12 year supply....yes a 12 year supply. I suspect we will see a thread when he moves or disposes of the car titled-"How do I get rid of all this oil"?

Well good for you. You sound a lot like former member Pop_rivit on here.
smile.gif

I always asked myself the same question about the massive stash sizes on here. But as I mentioned-those who hoard oil are a very small minority on here. They just like to post pictures to commensurate with fellow hoarders!...

Yes, yes we do...
grin2.gif

Quote:

Full price stash vs 75% off stash... not a hard choice for me.

I agree that I don't understand those that hoard at full or near full price, Walmart would work just fine for them. Most can get by with doing rebates 1-2 times a year.
A 12 year stash, that is a bit much I will agree. But a 2-3 year stash that is cheap, if you have the space, why not.

Originally Posted By: sw99
I stash whatever I can find at a good deal also. I'm finally almost through the Mobil 5000 I picked up about 7 years ago. Yes, I still use seven year old oil. I think i'm down to my last 5 quart jug on that deal. My latest score was the WM deal for the online full synthetic 5w20 @ $8 a gallon. I like your style!

I guess I'm not the only one.
smile.gif
I do the same. In fact, I still have some Castrol Edge from when it was first introduced in the U.S. in the gold bottles, and some older Pennzoil High Mileage 10W-30 to use up. I have no qualms in using older oil. I just put ~25 year old Pennzoil SAE30 into a free mower that we found on the curb and it's running fine. I maintain 5 vehicles currently, along with a snowblower and a few lawnmowers, so the oil I hoard doesn't go to waste.

Sealed bottles/bottles with tight lids will keep for at least 5 years. Anything you won't need beyond that, you should think about selling it now while it's fresh.

I currently have enough oil to service my vehicles for at least 2 years, including MTF and differential oil. My hoarding is not too bad considering the other posts here. I shake the bottles every few months to keep any separation at bay.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

I always asked myself the same question about the massive stash sizes on here. But as I mentioned-those who hoard oil are a very small minority on here. They just like to post pictures to commensurate with fellow hoarders!...

Yes, yes we do...
grin2.gif

Quote:

Full price stash vs 75% off stash... not a hard choice for me.

I agree that I don't understand those that hoard at full or near full price, Walmart would work just fine for them. Most can get by with doing rebates 1-2 times a year.
A 12 year stash, that is a bit much I will agree. But a 2-3 year stash that is cheap, if you have the space, why not.

You know in my budget the cost of motor oil is just not enough of a big deal to want to cause me to "stash"........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back