Motor oil for Turbo going uphill

Status
Not open for further replies.
That engine only holds 3.7 qts.

But the market is moving on making mid-size SUVs with small 4 cyl engines like the new CX-9 with a 2.5T engine, but they recommend 5W-30.

Here we get on the 5W-30 range M1 and PP also the Motul X-clean 5W-40 which carries Porsche A40 and BMW LL-04 is widely available.

Do you thing those tiny engines on large SUVs can last up to 5 years without any mayor issues?

0w-20 is used for fuel economy in the US.

IMO, in a tropical climate like yours, I would not hesitate to run the 5w-30 or even xw-40.
When I went to the tropical part of Asia with a lot of small SUV, they even run 15w-50 oil.
The cars last a long time over there.
My dad used to own a Corolla for 20 years, the body gave up with rust.

It's interesting That the earliest proponent of 5W-20, Ford, is now saying to use 5W-30 Ford spec'd oil in their DI turbo Ecoboost engines. "Maybe" they realize that these types of engine are harsher on oil versus non turbo port injected engines. I've used 0/5W-20 oils in my Ford Modular 4.6 V-8's with real good results, though I do no serious hauling. My wife's new 2017 EB 2.3 Explorer requires 0/5W-30 meeting Ford specs and my 1996 2.0L Zetec was originally spec'd for 5W-30 and that's what it has had all it's life and is super clean under the valve cover and uses no real amount of oil in a 8,000+ mile OCI. Maybe Honda knows something Ford doesn't know about DI turbo engines
wink.gif

Whimsey

Castrol EDGE 0W-30. PAO based, high heat tolerance. And having the LL-01 certification ensures it has been through the rigorous BMW turbo test.

I would personally want to use a 5W-30 or 10W-30 but would stick with a manual-recommended weight while the engine is under warranty.

go ahead and keep that ff in for the allotted time Honda recommends by using the olm, and see what happens with that oil.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Synthetic 5w30 or 10w30 if available

Yes. A 30 weight oil for the constant heat, synthetic to better resist that heat. 1 hour under heavy load is a lot.

1 hour under load is a lot??? I think a synthetic oil will perform as it should without fear of "not handling the heat" !

Honda was one of the first to use 0W-20 oil(1st gen Insight and Civic Hybrid), and I do have faith that they designed the engine around 0W-20, although there are reports of fuel dilution with that turbo engine. Honda does have a spec for turbo-approved oils, HTO-06 that must be met for them to approve an oil.

Run the stoutest 0W-20 and see what the Maintenance Minder returns for mileage before you see A/B1. If warranty is no object and if it doesn't fall below 50*, you could try a 0W-30/0W-40 high HTHS Euro oil. There isn't a 0W-20 that meets HTO-06... yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
My point is, there's no reason to NOT run what was recommended.

If the manufacturer recommends it, they have tested it. Sure, the engine may only go 400K on 0w-20 instead of 450K on 15w40 or 20w-50.

A more appropriate comparison has been brought to the table in other threads by SR5...

GM, with the turbo 1.4 in the states specify a Dexos 1 in an ILSAC grade...in Oz, they specify Dexos 2....HTHS greater than 3.5.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Miller88
My point is, there's no reason to NOT run what was recommended.

If the manufacturer recommends it, they have tested it. Sure, the engine may only go 400K on 0w-20 instead of 450K on 15w40 or 20w-50.

A more appropriate comparison has been brought to the table in other threads by SR5...

GM, with the turbo 1.4 in the states specify a Dexos 1 in an ILSAC grade...in Oz, they specify Dexos 2....HTHS greater than 3.5.

I fail to see a single (gas) application where a euro oil (LL-01, A40, 229.5) would be ill-advised. To me they are the platinum-standard of passenger car motor oil, focusing more on wear protection and long-life versus fuel efficiency.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
10w30 all year

10w-30 synthetic. M1 makes a good one, so do penzoil and Valvoline

If you can't find that pick a 15w-40 HDEO. You want to maintain viscosity in that motor when the oil hits 300F halfway up that hill. Synthetics preferred

Originally Posted By: leje0306
Originally Posted By: zeng
Factory recommended 0W20 as mandated by CAFE is NOT meant for this application ..... whilst any (old) passenger vehicles on the road today are capable of it.
Yes, I heard it ..... that manufacturers know best.
I would pick a shear stable xW30/xW40 for this application.
JMHO.

When did cafe mandate 0w-20?

IDK.
Credit to Shannow,I do know 5W20 is dated 2000.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4409833/Re:_CAFE_conspiracy_nonsense_d#Post4409833

5w30 or 10w30 synthetic meeting the Honda HTO-06 standard.
Mobil 1 5w30 meets HTO-06...

Last edited:
Run the 0w-20 for 1 oci of this usage and get a UOA done. It will give you a rough idea of what to do next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back