Recommendation for F80/F82/F83 M3/M4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mitch Alsup
Originally Posted By: gatorfast
^ that is true assuming track driving produces elevated oil temperatures. From what I have read about the F8x M3/4, no one has reported elevated oil temperatures at the track.

My Ferrari F355 has oil temperatures of about 275ºF after a 20 minute session leaving the track in 100ºF ambient temps.

That is why Ferrari actually recommends a 10W60 for track use. Guess they need better oil cooling. My 135 runs 120C oil temp on the highway, or at the track all day, and makes a fair bit more power, assuming the 355 is stock.

The viscosity needed really depends on what oil temp the car is seeing. The new M3/M4 seem to have pretty good oil cooling/management, so good chance they don't need anything heavier than a 0W40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
Originally Posted By: gatorfast
^ that is true assuming track driving produces elevated oil temperatures. From what I have read about the F8x M3/4, no one has reported elevated oil temperatures at the track.

I would bet it gets pretty hot considering it's a direct injected high compression dual turbo. Probably much better than their earliest 335i engines which suffered from way too high temperatures but I imagine the nature of this engine, it's going to be running very hot.

They actually run hotter when steady cruising at highway speeds. The thermostats on modern BMWs are electronic, and have several different cooling profiles. When you start to push it hard, it actually runs the engine cooler for better performance. Steady highway cruising it runs really hot for better FE.

On my N55 135i, it runs the same oil temp on the track as it does cruising down the highway.

Old thermostats are part of electronic water pump, not modern ones. As you know, it worked so good that all new modular based BMW engines (B58, B48 etc.) have good ole belt driven pump with good ole mechanical thermostat.
Current M3 is based on N55 so probably we are talking about electronic thermostat, upcoming one? Less headache.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Old thermostats are part of electronic water pump, not modern ones. As you know, it worked so good that all new modular based BMW engines (B58, B48 etc.) have good ole belt driven pump with good ole mechanical thermostat.
Current M3 is based on N55 so probably we are talking about electronic thermostat, upcoming one? Less headache.

Off topic, but the new B58 engine is amazing. I want to pick up a new M240i just to have the B58.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted By: edyvw

Off topic, but the new B58 engine is amazing. I want to pick up a new M240i just to have the B58.

Put me down for an M2 CS.
shocked.gif

Then I can report back what oil it recommends for the M3/M4 engine.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I'd take an M2 if I wanted three pedals, and an M240i if I wanted an automatic- I like the ZF 8HP much better than the M DCT.

BMW F series M3/4 has a much larger frontal area to fit a bunch of coolers than a mid engined ferrari. my oil temps warms up to 240 and has never gone over 250F. even in 115F temperature

I use edge 0w-40 with factory drain intervals.

2015-bmw-m3-and-m4-engine-explained-photo-gallery_7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back