Well out of warranty, what oil would you buy for a 2.0t VW?

I've been dreading asking this question. I've been searching around the forums, but there are a lot of acronyns and certifications used that I don't quite understand yet. I've seen this question asked before and the answer usually comes in "as long as its 502..."

I have a 2012 CC with 155,xxx miles on it. I've always used Liquimoly 5w30 because that was recommended to me when I first got it and I just did it without any research. When I first got the car I did the 10k service intervals, then I randomly started doing 5000 miles, now I'm down to 3000-4000 miles simply because I enjoy doing it and I just feel good knowing there is clean oil in the car.

I have a stage 1, 93 octane tune, and ca intake but I'm planning on going down the full bolt on list soon. (Midlife crisis)

Maybe it doesn't matter but the VW approved list is pretty long, surely there has to be an optimal oil for my situation? Performance and reliability are my goals, I'm not worried about the price.

You all seem way smarter than me about oil so just out of curiosity, what oil would you use?

Keep using what you know but changing it early now isn't going to do you any favors at all especially with the 10k OCI in the past, stick with 5k and let it be. The only thing you could do it bump up to a 0/5w40 if you plan on pushing it power wise.

Oil snobs might disagree but at that mileage and OCI this will work fine

5W-30.jpg

Maybe it doesn't matter but the VW approved list is pretty long, surely there has to be an optimal oil for my situation? Performance and reliability are my goals, I'm not worried about the price.
An oil with VW 502 00 approval would be optimal. Walmart has more than one.

I've been dreading asking this question. I've been searching around the forums, but there are a lot of acronyns and certifications used that I don't quite understand yet. I've seen this question asked before and the answer usually comes in "as long as its 502..."

I have a 2012 CC with 155,xxx miles on it. I've always used Liquimoly 5w30 because that was recommended to me when I first got it and I just did it without any research. When I first got the car I did the 10k service intervals, then I randomly started doing 5000 miles, now I'm down to 3000-4000 miles simply because I enjoy doing it and I just feel good knowing there is clean oil in the car.

I have a stage 1, 93 octane tune, and ca intake but I'm planning on going down the full bolt on list soon. (Midlife crisis)

You all seem way smarter than me about oil so just out of curiosity, what oil would you use?
If you like doing frequent oil changes look at FCP Euro where you can save some money. On a 3k-4k mile OCI with additional tuning in the future any VW 502 or 504/507 oil will be fine. OTOH if you want to go out further to say 7k miles I'd look at Pennzoil/Quaker State, M1, Ravenol, HPL, Amsoil, etc.

Mind your oil temps if tracking. An oil cooler will do wonders over a heavier oil weight.

Last edited:
That car new would have required an oil with the VW502 00 approval - these are usually the common Euro 0W/5W40s and are very stout/proven oils for cars like yours and handle power adds well - M1, Valvoline, Quaker State, Liquimoly, the list goes on....all make oils with this approval many available at Walmart or an autoparts store. That Liquimoly 5W30 would have likely been a VW504 00 oil as they don't make an xW30 that has the VW502 00 approval.

Back