Best FCP option for BMW N55 (2016 M235i)?

I have a 2016 BMW M235i.
N55 engine, 6 speed manual, Dinan Stage 1 tuned.
Oil temps in the 210ºF to 215ºF range under normal driving, but I've seen it get as high as 230ºF to 240ºF.

I'm in Connecticut and take advantage of FCP's lifetime replacement. Out of the options they stock, what would you recommend?

Pentosin - Pento High Performance 5W30
Motul Specific LL-01FE 5W30
Liqui Moly - Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40
Liqui Moly - Moly Gen 5W40
Liqui Moly - Special Tec 5W30
BMW - LL-01FE Twin Turbo Power 0W30 (1L containers only, making oil replacement tedious)

I would go Pentosin for no obvious reason.

I have LM 5w40 in my N55 and I prefer a 30 weight.
Thanks, I've been running Liqui Moly - Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 in my other BMWs for years, but was unsure about the weight in this engine.

What do you prefer about the 30W (assuming you'll be switching back)? I saw some threads where people were recommended a 40 for tuned cars, and due to the potential for rod bearing issues.

Thanks, I've been running Liqui Moly - Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 in my other BMWs for years, but was unsure about the weight in this engine.

What do you prefer about the 30W (assuming you'll be switching back)? I saw some threads where people were recommended a 40 for tuned cars, and due to the potential for rod bearing issues.
BMW approvals revolve around HTHS. The following approvals are allowed for the N55: LL01, LL01FE, LL04.

LL01 and LL04 have a min HTHS of 3.5 and it will be found at 0w30, 0w40, 5w30, 5w40. The 40w introduces a little turbo lag due to the slightly higher parasitic drag. I find the LL01 30w to be a happy medium between the heavier LL01 40w and the slightly thinner "LL01FE" 30w (HTHS 3.5 to 2.9). I don't track my car and it's only on hwy trips once oR twice a year where I'm alone and consequently can really stretch the N55's legs (85 mph+)

Last edited:
I have a 2016 BMW M235i.
N55 engine, 6 speed manual, Dinan Stage 1 tuned.
Oil temps in the 210ºF to 215ºF range under normal driving, but I've seen it get as high as 230ºF to 240ºF.

I'm in Connecticut and take advantage of FCP's lifetime replacement. Out of the options they stock, what would you recommend?

Pentosin - Pento High Performance 5W30
Motul Specific LL-01FE 5W30
Liqui Moly - Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40
Liqui Moly - Moly Gen 5W40
Liqui Moly - Special Tec 5W30
BMW - LL-01FE Twin Turbo Power 0W30 (1L containers only, making oil replacement tedious)
Question, if you're in Connecticut, can you just physically drive over to FCP and take your oil back that way, or what?

BMW approvals revolve around HTHS. The following approvals are allowed for the N55: LL01, LL01FE, LL04. LL01 and LL04 have a min HTHS of 3.5 and it will be found at 0w30, 0w40, 5w30, 5w40. The 40w introduces a little turbo lag due to the slightly higher parasitic drag. I find the LL01 30w to be a happy medium between the heavier LL01 40w and the slightly thinner "LL01FE" 30w (HTHS 3.5 to 2.9).
Interesting, I wasn't aware you could feel the drag of higher viscosity in the turbo response. I'm unsure what's in the car now, as the dealer I bought it from changed the oil before delivery and I haven't changed it yet (recent purchase). But this info has me leaning towards a 30. Thanks for the reply.
Driven DI40?
FCP carries it, but it doesn't come up in the oil change kits specific for my car. I'd have to purchase the filter separately and purchase 1L bottles. This is a bit tedious when one has to return the used oil in the original containers. Is the oil worth the trouble?
Question, if you're in Connecticut, can you just physically drive over to FCP and take your oil back that way, or what?
Yes. You just drive it over there.

You print out the return form and leave it all on a cart they have in the customer pickup area. A day or 2 later, they'll process it and give you store credit for the refund amount. You have to purchase the replacement oil first, which you can pick up then, or have shipped (which is free). I drop off/pick up, as I feel that leaning on the free shipping is unnecessary, and I set my cycles up so I'm dropping off the old stuff and picking up new stuff in the same trip.

They used to actually credit the original form of payment, but now it's store credit. That's fine, as it's still a free oil change kit.

Roll the dice. No one here can tell you which one of those will have any significantly different impact on your engines performance. If I was tracking it I might.... might.... suggest the 40w and daily driving I might.... might... suggest the 30 but they're all great oils that meet specs.

Interesting, I wasn't aware you could feel the drag of higher viscosity in the turbo response. I'm unsure what's in the car now, as the dealer I bought it from changed the oil before delivery and I haven't changed it yet (recent purchase). But this info has me leaning towards a 30. Thanks for the reply.
It's an absolutely silly statement. The oils have an almost identical HT/HS despite the grade difference.

Imagination rules.

It's an absolutely silly statement. The oils have an almost identical HT/HS despite the grade difference.

Imagination rules.
It's not. I've noticed a lag in throttle response and the amount of throttle required when passing on the highway. It's no substantial but it's there. The thing with LM products is that they do not publish the tested HTHS. They only state it is above or equal to 3.5. It could be 3.7 for all we know.

It's not. I've noticed a lag in throttle response and the amount of throttle required when passing on the highway. It's no substantial but it's there. The thing with LM products is that they do not publish the tested HTHS. They only state it is above or equal to 3.5. It could be 3.7 for all we know.

You don't "notice" lag from oils with identical hths you'd need to "measure" the lag as it would be so slight the human body couldn't perceive it. I build and tune turbo engines and run thousands of hours of telemetry on things like rpm vs boost spec and actual and wastegate duty and there is no difference.

You don't "notice" lag from oils with identical hths you'd need to "measure" the lag as it would be so slight the human body couldn't perceive it. I build and tune turbo engines and run thousands of hours of telemetry on things like rpm vs boost spec and actual and wastegate duty and there is no difference.
This isn't a comparison of identical HTHS.

It would be interesting to see how your fuel flow differs on oils with different HTHS. The industry knows there's a MPG hit as HTHS increases so.

It would be interesting to see how your fuel flow differs on oils with different HTHS. The industry knows there's a MPG hit as HTHS increases so.

Turbo spool is dictated by the wheel size I choose, the turbo design (I use mostly twin scroll now) and my timing and boost ramp calibration.

You will not see anyone find telemetry data that identifies difference in spool on these oils discussed. And we are talking about 100 samples per second of telemetry data not being able to see it.

I'd sincerely be interested if you have any though. I've simply never seen anything like you are describing so I'm open to your data

No not identical but almost.

And "MPG hit" with a 3.5 to 3.7? Please don't tell us you can measure that too.

No not identical but almost.

And "MPG hit" with a 3.5 to 3.7? Please don't tell us you can measure that too.
To be accurate it's unknown rather than almost.

Here's a tidbit from Lubrizol

LINK

"Long haul heavy duty commercial vehicles can realistically expect fuel savings of 0.5-1.5% by switching from SAE 15W-40 to 5W-30 HTHS engine lubricant. Further savings when switching to low HTHS viscosity engine lubricant can be expected to add 0.4-0.7% of increased fuel efficiency, depending on the engine type and operating conditions.".

To summarize total fuel consumption savings from a 40w with HTHS of 3.5 or higher to a 30w sub-3.5 hths could be anywhere from .9% - 2.2%..

Last edited:
Back