Pics of the new Carquest Platinum painted rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a cosmetic review of the Carquest Platinum painted brake rotors that were recently introduced at Advance Auto Parts and Carquest stores. I'm not going to comment on the functionality of these rotors because I haven't installed them and I'm not sure if I'll keep these or return them.

The machine work cosmetically looks good, but I haven't checked the runout, thickness variation or anything. They have a non-directional finish.

They're made in China, which is not surprising.

The paint is not very impressive. Only the outside of the hat and the outer edge are painted. The vanes are not coated. The inside of the hat is not painted. The inside of the hat is where you really want to prevent rust, because rust there can cause excess runout and brake pulsation.

Overall, I would say these are not comparable to the best painted/coated rotors that have the inside of the hat and vanes coated. For example, the Zimmermann rotors I purchased in the past have had much more complete coating. These Carquest rotors could help prevent rust on the outside of the hat, but that's about it.

However, these rotors are pretty affordable, so they could be a good choice if you're looking for something in this price range. I paid $35 each after using a discount code.

My casual observation is they're a basic, functional rotor, but don't get too excited about the paint. If you really care about painting/coating on your rotors, there are probably better choices out there.

CQ2%20-%20Copy.jpg

CQ3%20-%20Copy.jpg

CQ1%20-%20Copy.jpg

CQ4%20-%20Copy.jpg

I recently purchased Brembo rotors for BMW. Made in USA!
Italian company making rotors in the US for the US market, American companies making rotors for the US in China. No wonder we are in the hole.

Last edited:
Those look 100% equivalent to the WBR coated rotors that I received yesterday. Send me a PM with your application and I'll tell you what my pricing is on them.

However, in regards to your comment about the inside of the hat being uncoated, the genuine toyota rotors (made by advics) are not coated in that area.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
I recently purchased Brembo rotors for BMW. Made in USA!
Italian company making rotors in the US for the US market, American companies making rotors for the US in China. No wonder we are in the hole.

Advics makes their rotors in the US as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Thank you for the pictures
smile.gif

Does anyone have experience with Napa's polymer coated rotors?

I've installed 12 of these rotors. Whatever isn't contacted by friction material stays on. But it seems like it discolours after awhile. I had a set currently installed for 7500mi and they turned a bit brown on the coated parts. I like them so far. It definitely makes it look more clean instead of the regular rust.

I also looked at the CarQuest Platinum Painted Rotors for my application(s) and they're $5/each extra compared to the standard CQ rotors. I guess one could buy the standard rotors and a can of paint(~$5) and DIY.

I decided to return these. They'd be fine if you need something in a pinch, but the paint isn't that impressive. For the same or slightly more you can get better coated rotors online.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
I decided to return these. They'd be fine if you need something in a pinch, but the paint isn't that impressive. For the same or slightly more you can get better coated rotors online.

What will you be getting instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back