Air Filter option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Leave it alone. Might as well throw your $$$ down a rat hole.
frown.gif

Been there.

Done that.

WOW. What a response. Whew ! I'll just stay stock, just thought more airflow would be a good thing. I got a good education on filters now.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'm not an advocate for anything other than OEM, but the K&N paranoia here is astounding.
Paranoia may not be a strong enough word.
laugh.gif
Disdain comes to my mind. For all the K&N haters I'll keep you posted when one of my many vehicles with K&N filters has an engine failure. You might want to get comfy.
35.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
There's no paranoia, I just posted data that shows you a K&N is highly inferior to proper paper filter.

The truth always hurts a bit...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
There's no paranoia, I just posted data that shows you a K&N is highly inferior to proper paper filter.

Dodge seems to think reusable cotton gauze is adequate to protect their performance engines while providing a warranty...

Paranoia.

Dodge seems to think reusable cotton gauze is adequate to protect their performance engines while providing a warranty...

Paranoia.

Is that a "dry" filter type or "oiled"??

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
Is that a "dry" filter type or "oiled"??

Dry.

I'd use it. I currently use a Dry Super-Nano web filter on my Optima with good results (I added the Hydroshield pre-filter as well).

Paranoia.

I think we all know how manufacturers feel about quality and warranty. They engineer to get out of the warranty period with some breathing room.

This forum wouldn't existe if everyone was satisfied with adequate maintenance

I think we all know how manufacturers feel about quality and warranty. They engineer to get out of the warranty period with some breathing room.

This forum wouldn't existe if everyone was satisfied with adequate maintenance

I wish there was an eyeroll smiley. It seems many here indeed are satisfied with "adequate" maintenance. The BiTOG motto is "it won't blow up!"

A K&N is not what I would choose, but properly serviced it will do well for the life of an engine. A "dry" filter such as is OEM on the Shaker, or aftermarket like the AEM Dryflow are excellent performance reusable filters.

All this nail bitimg over UOAs and wear metals... When in fact a properly serviced K&N will allow the engine to run just as well and just as long as an OEM.

Paranoia.

How about a friendly bet? No "oiled cotton gauze" in that filter at all. Not a single OEM uses them....

How about a friendly bet? No "oiled cotton gauze" in that filter at all. Not a single OEM uses them....

You'll kindly notice that I said "reusable cotton gauze," and that a few posts up I clarified that it is indeed a dry filter... which is also considered a no-no on this board depending on which mood the local parrots are in.

You'll also recall that I am not an advocate for much of anything deviating from OEM... but I do also realize that all this fretting and nail biting over filters is asinine.

Originally Posted By: wemay
rooflessVW said:
SteveSRT8 said:

BMC oiled cotten gauze air filter used by Porsche as OEM in the 918.

We all know that Porsche doesn't know what they're doing.
laugh.gif
Let's put this one to bed. K&N has a lot of satisfied users, some not so satisfied, and those who are skeptical. One thing is for sure, they didn't get to where they're at by selling a junk product.

BMC also makes the only $1100 air intakes in the world that Porsche owners have been happy to throw in the trash can after finding increased dirt in their intakes and go back to stock airboxes and filters.

The 918, like almost every other supercar in the world, was built for performance and not durability.

K&N did not get where they are by selling a junk product (although that definitely does happen). They got where they are by selling products for appropriate applications for decades, and then switching their marketing to selling products for inappropriate applications.

A K&N absolutely belongs in an off-road or track vehicle. Street car? No.

The marketing that a drop-in panel filter is going to increase horsepower is a complete lie.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
BMC also makes the only $1100 air intakes in the world that Porsche owners have been happy to throw in the trash can after finding increased dirt in their intakes and go back to stock airboxes and filters.

The 918, like almost every other supercar in the world, was built for performance and not durability.

K&N did not get where they are by selling a junk product (although that definitely does happen). They got where they are by selling products for appropriate applications for decades, and then switching their marketing to selling products for inappropriate applications.

A K&N absolutely belongs in an off-road or track vehicle. Street car? No.

The marketing that a drop-in panel filter is going to increase horsepower is a complete lie.

Anyone who has actually owned a Porsche will tell you they are far from perfect. And a 918 is far from a regular production car with only 900+ examples made.

And I remember the good old daze of off road racing where EVERYONE either dumped their K&N's or covered them with another pre-filter sock...

Paranoia.

That filter may be similar (or identical) to the AMSOIL Ea air filters, which are manufactured using Donaldson Nanofiber. They look like a cotton gauze filter, but are not.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2175.pdf
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/f...uction-filters/
http://www2.donaldson.com/torit/en-us/pa...s-worth-it.aspx

I could probably grab one at the dealer and take a peek.

Anyone who has actually owned a Porsche will tell you they are far from perfect. And a 918 is far from a regular production car with only 900+ examples made.

And I remember the good old daze of off road racing where EVERYONE either dumped their K&N's or covered them with another pre-filter sock...

I can tell you from experience. I've had 3 interior pieces break on me, and all three took months to get from Germany.

The cooling strategy for this car is something else as well. On a hot day, stay anywhere near the back and you'll believe you are in the middle of a pending meltdown. This thing sounds like it has at least 12 fans that are all going nuts trying to keep this thing from burning up. It never actually does overheat, but yikes. I think my old air-cooled 993 ejected less hot air from the rear.

But for me, it's part of the charm of the car. It seems like it was made by geeky engineering/car fanboys than straight up bean-counters. Might say a few things about myself.

For my non performance cars, I choose a paper filter from rockauto, usually what is on sale and a decent brand.

Both cars in my sig use a Denso paper filter. Every fall, I replace cabin and air filters in both cars.

I usually can acquire all 4 filters for $25.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back