Didn't empty out all the old oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I did one of my changes this week and I noticed that the engine was slightly off. I look at my dipstick and it's higher than it should be. I look at my old oil that I extracted and it seems like I only got a little over 4 qts (from what is normally 5 qts). So two questions.

1. How much should I extract to be safe: the full qt or half a qt?
2. Is it bad if some of the old oil mixed with new oil? It was only used for 3k (have to change it after 6 months regardless of the miles, because of the warranty).

Another thing I forgot to mention was that I ensured that I gave it an extra several pumps to make sure I got all the remaining oil....

I just don't want to over-extract more oil just because the dipstick says it's high (because I know Subaru dipsticks have a slight habit of saying it's too high.

Half a quart over shouldn't be a problem in a 4.5 quart sump or more. A quart over, I'd extract some. If you take too much out, top it off with fresh oil to get the level right.

What brand of extractor do you have?

Originally Posted By: SubieMovie
Another thing I forgot to mention was that I ensured that I gave it an extra several pumps to make sure I got all the remaining oil....

I just don't want to over-extract more oil just because the dipstick says it's high (because I know Subaru dipsticks have a slight habit of saying it's too high.

Why not use the drain plug and get it all out the right way? I would never use one of those extractors even when they stop sucking there's oil left behind.

Now that's not true for the most part. I never seen this with any of mine.
If they are in sound mechanical condition this shouldn't happen and you should be paying more attention as my units are clearly marked on the side how much oil you are extracting.

Originally Posted By: daman
Why not use the drain plug and get it all out the right way? I would never use one of those extractors even when they stop sucking there's oil left behind.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Now that's not true for the most part. I never seen this with any of mine.
If they are in sound mechanical condition this shouldn't happen and you should be paying more attention as my units are clearly marked on the side how much oil you are extracting.

Are you saying the extractor is equally as effective as pulling the drain plug ?

I made my statement. So what's yours?
wink.gif

There is a post just a page or so back about using an extractor.

what is "effective"?

In that your car will not have any mechanical engine issues specifically due to differences in oil replacement for the lifetime of the car that you use it? Then yes, equally effective.

Use if if you like, don't use it if you don't like.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Half a quart over shouldn't be a problem in a 4.5 quart sump or more. A quart over, I'd extract some. If you take too much out, top it off with fresh oil to get the level right.

+1 This is where I would lean. I have always been old school when it comes to draining oil. I always pull the plug. You already have the extractor. I would take out 1/2 a quart and check it over the next few days. Top off till you get to full. Under filled is better than over.

Okay, without getting into a debate about drain vs extracting, I removed a little less than half a quart. I'm hoping it runs better now.

I'm using the Topsider MVP and I must have been slightly careless when removing it. First time it has happened when doing an OC.

Unless I have a car with less than 13k burning a qt after 3k. It is a Crosstrek, so hopefully that's not the case.

Last edited:
This is why I only use the drain plug to empty the old oil.

Remove plug, let drain
Wait 10 minutes ( go grab lunch, a beer, or whatever and come back)
Put plug back in

Always gets out as much as is going to come out.

Now I see how. You have no way of knowing how much is in the can with these- correct?

Okay, without getting into a debate about drain vs extracting, I removed a little less than half a quart. I'm hoping it runs better now.

I'm using the Topsider MVP and I must have been slightly careless when removing it. First time it has happened when doing an OC.

Unless I have a car with less than 13k burning a qt after 3k. It is a Crosstrek, so hopefully that's not the case.

Now I see how. You have no way of knowing how much is in the can with these- correct?

Yes, that's correct. I usually dump it back into the jug and then measure it from there, before bringing it to get recycled. That's when I noticed the discrepancy, but I didn't exactly have the time to check the other day. But, I noticed my engine "felt" weird yesterday, so that's when I decided to double check everything and then I finally poured the oil back in the jug.

Last edited:
Most here have done that for decades me included.
Some positives for you on the extractor.

You don't have to come back and get under the ride again.
You don't leave anyway.
You don't get oil blowing on your lane.
Your hands don't get dirty and your fist busted up
Disposal is easy compared to a pan with shifting oil.
If you're my neighbor you don't get the beer and leave the oil plug somewhere else and you don't forget
to put it back on.

But that said- if it works for you
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
This is why I only use the drain plug to empty the old oil.

Remove plug, let drain
Wait 10 minutes ( go grab lunch, a beer, or whatever and come back)
Put plug back in

Always gets out as much as is going to come out.

Most here have done that for decades me included.
Some positives for you on the extractor.

You don't have to come back and get under the ride again.
You don't leave anyway.
You don't get oil blowing on your lane.
Your hands don't get dirty and your fist busted up
Disposal is easy compared to a pan with shifting oil.
If you're my neighbor you don't get the beer and leave the oil plug somewhere else and you don't forget
to put it back on.

But that said- if it works for you
smile.gif

For me, most of those aren't really an issue.

I enjoy getting under the car, especially when the weather is nice. It's therapy, in a way.
There's usually something going on that I can multi-task while I'm doing the change, so leaving isn't a problem.
It rarely gets really windy in Phoenix, and when it does, I don't change my oil. Too much dust blowing around. Plus, I have a very large metal drip pan that goes underneath the oil pan.
The drain plug on my Fusion is very easy to get to, and I've recently replaced it so it's easy to work on. I also have boxes of nitrile gloves that I use whenever I expect to get used oil on my hands.
I got one of those pans that you can 'cap off' so it's easy to manage.

.. I agree though. To each his own. This works great for me. Also, I have a bad back, so leaning over the engine compartment for long periods of time starts to get uncomfortable. Laying on my back under the car is much easier on it.

Cheers!

I am thinking opening the Fumoto valve on either of my Subaru vehicles would be simpler and more time efficient than an extractor. An extractor is fine for many uses where there is no drain plug. With a Fumoto valve I can go round up the oil, filter and filter while waiting for the oil to drain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back