Best Undercoating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 GMC Sonoma that is pretty rusty ( surface) on the frame and I am going to power wash it when it warms up. After it dries I plan on spraying the underside with an undercoating product . Any recommendations on a superior product ? I called a local undercoating company with a great reputation but he won't undercoat any vehicle over three years old.

I've always heard good things about POR-15. It's designed to stick to rust but seems like a major undertaking to get it right. My vote would be Fluid Film if it's already rusting. It's not going to stop the rust, but it should help slow it down.

Not sure if you guys have it down there, but in Atlantic Canada where tons of salt is used on the roads every winter, lots of people go with Rust Check. Similar to Krown, they saturate the underside of your vehicle, do the insides of every door opening, under the hood, and they drill little holes in your rockers and sometimes doors and insert a sprayer rod that coats the inside of the panel as well. They plug the holes with little rubber plugs, and if you didn't know better it looks factory. Out this way, if you see a car that's more than 15 years old still on the road that isn't rusted to ****, it's very likely that it will have a row of Rust Check stickers across the rear window. My family has used it for years with great success.

CarWell, Krown or FF. You can have it done or buy the stuff and spray it on yourself. POR or Eastwood Rust Encapsulation both product a turtle shell covering rust and preventing oxygen from getting to the area. But they will chip.

Originally Posted By: yankees1
I have a 2002 GMC Sonoma that is pretty rusty ( surface) on the frame and I am going to power wash it when it warms up. After it dries I plan on spraying the underside with an undercoating product . Any recommendations on a superior product ? I called a local undercoating company with a great reputation but he won't undercoat any vehicle over three years old.

Get yourself a gallon of fluid film from Napa. Buy online and ship to store and save 10%.

If you are only doing the frame you can get a paint sprayer from Harbor Freight to do the job for cheap. I bought the fluid film gun since I do my car and a van Every year. That gun needs a compressor to power it.

Over a number of years the gun will pay for itself. A can of fluid film is around $35-40 USD. Thats cheaper than paying a shop that will miss spots or cheap out on some areas. Trust me I've paid to have krown and rust check done and they missed spraying entire panels. They coat the underside nicely, but what about everywhere else. I guess they aren't counting on people to keep their cars 20 years.

Originally Posted By: JC1

Get yourself a gallon of fluid film from Napa. Buy online and ship to store and save 10%.

If you are only doing the frame you can get a paint sprayer from Harbor Freight to do the job for cheap. I bought the fluid film gun since I do my car and a van Every year. That gun needs a compressor to power it.

Over a number of years the gun will pay for itself. A can of fluid film is around $35-40 USD. Thats cheaper than paying a shop that will miss spots or cheap out on some areas. Trust me I've paid to have krown and rust check done and they missed spraying entire panels. They coat the underside nicely, but what about everywhere else. I guess they aren't counting on people to keep their cars 20 years.
Which paint sprayer from Harbor freight do you recommend as they offer many.

Last edited:
Which paint sprayer from Harbor freight do you recommend as they offer many.

This is the one people use to coat the frame and wheel wells.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-gph-electric-paint-spray-gun-60446.html

Here's a link to Kellsport which sell the FF gun kit.
http://www.kellsportproducts.com/undercoatingguns.html

Here's a link to my rustproofing I did on the Caravan after I got the kit.

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthr...an?daysprune=-1
Thank you !!

By the time it's rusty, as others have said, you gotta use an oil product. Anything tar/rubber will just trap the drama and make it worse.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
By the time it's rusty, as others have said, you gotta use an oil product. Anything tar/rubber will just trap the drama and make it worse.
Fluid Film is not oil based according to their website.

That's about what I did, FF sprayer, although I bought online my 5 gallon bucket of FF. I figure, if I'm under the car for anything, I can always do touchups. And of course, the big spray in the fall / late summer (good to do while warm out, let summer's last heat get the stuff to flow where it's needed).

Fluid Film is not oil based according to their website.

It's not an oil but it's oil-like. In warmer weather it will "creep" like oil does. Which is good, it will creep into crevices and under rust etc, sealing up metal surfaces against oxygen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back