My wife’s 14 Rogue. I’m not motivated to maintain.

If you're going to neglect it (and rightfully in my opinion, I feel like modern Nissans are meant to be neglected and run to 80k miles), I would just dump it off on someone else while it works and has decent resale value. This is just my somewhat anti-Nissan biased opinion
CVT Nissans. Manuals hold up pretty well

Sure is. I did not advocate someone taking the car away. But anyone wanting to stop keeping a car in repair at 70 k miles. A car they own is by definition not making good financial decisions.
No, your presumptions are not correct.

I have other cars that I have passion for that I maintain extremely meticulously, but that is time consuming. Oil Undercoating annually, car washes and wax regularly, top tier Amsoil oil filters, and proactive driving habits to reduce wear and tear.

I do those things because I trust those cars are reliable and will last a while. The Nissan? I don’t know if fastidious maintenance will do any good with this infamous CVT, that’s why I am asking forums, not gloating about wanting to destroy something. I don’t want to waste my time on a grenade.

I already said in my OP that I was thinking 7k oil changes, cheap filters, and no oil undercoating. Those are examples.

Like said, the cap on the CVT charge tube is just that. A cap. No stick, even though it may look like it should have one.

Your vibes are likely a bad engine mount. Pretty common.

If it's AWD, you'll want to drain/refill the transfer case and rear differential. The T-case being the more important one. They're barely the size of a cantaloupe and cost about $3K just for the part.
Actually depends as my 2013 Juke does indeed have a dipstick and over time the newer models didn't have it, just a fill tube cap. Thing is there are aftermarket options available for anybody looking for that sort of thing. I know Nissan (and others) will claim the best way to check fluid is bring up to temp, using a scan tool, etc., but I'm sure a proper fitting dipstick will do just fine to get close enough.

No, your presumptions are not correct.

I have other cars that I have passion for that I maintain extremely meticulously, but that is time consuming. Oil Undercoating annually, car washes and wax regularly, top tier Amsoil oil filters, and proactive driving habits to reduce wear and tear.

I do those things because I trust those cars are reliable and will last a while. The Nissan? I don’t know if fastidious maintenance will do any good with this infamous CVT, that’s why I am asking forums, not gloating about wanting to destroy something. I don’t want to waste my time on a grenade.

I already said in my OP that I was thinking 7k oil changes, cheap filters, and no oil undercoating. Those are examples.
If this is what you meant, then you are fine, unless there is powertrain warranty left. Then you’ll want to shorten your oil changes up.

Rogues are not really prone to body rust, or at least not in Iowa, where I live. The suspension parts do seem to get a tad rusty, however.

Drive it and use it like any other tool.

My only thought to the contrary is that I can’t read the future. Any holding back on maintenance now may cause a headache if I find myself short in cash due to a major home repair, job situation, health issue, etc. Part of maintaining a car is to make sure I don’t screw myself down the road.

I don’t want to waste my time on a grenade.

I know where you're coming from, but there's middle ground. Since the car is paid for and vehicles are difficult to purchase right now it could be in your best interest to try to keep it going a few years. That doesn't mean you have to be out there every Sunday morning polishing it.
Regular oil changes with cheapo filters that will last the OCI. Keep an eye on the CVT fluid. Give it a few squirts of oil spray once in areas that can become problem areas, doesn't take too much and one time is significantly better than no corrosion protection. Get yourself a soft tipped wash brush and quickly scrub the thing clean once and a while. Trust me it is kind of satisfying to be able to get a car clean in minutes after being meticulous with other cars.

If something blows up and you decide to dump it you wont feel like you have wasted time or money on it, but if it doesn't it remains serviceable for you or the next owner down the line.

The Rogue (and many modern Nissans) are basically throw away cars. They are designed to be the cheapest among their competitors. I think the Versa was the cheapest car you could buy for a long time, and it still might be.

I would do the bare minimum level of maintenance, just because at the moment it would be expensive to replace the vehicle, but I wouldn't go out of my way to over maintain it.

Ok, I think I’ll pass on the rustproof undercoating. I seriously doubt this car will last 10 years when undercoating will matter.

I’ll give it a steady diet of OCI at 8k or so, but I’ll probably neglect the cosmetic aspects of this car.

I got fed up with my commuter beater a few months back and put Supertech in it. Then, it blew a head gasket.

You'd better watch your back!

:LOL:

Sorry. Not getting this at all. If you can afford it and wife wants one just go out and buy her a new car. If not why wouldn't you just stop the dealer or even a junkyard and replace and replace the few dollars in missing caps and parts?

There should be two filters on that transmission. Pull the pan and change the one in there and also there's a cartridge filter under a cap on the side. Change both and then refill with the correct procedure. I don't understand the disdain for it, just change the fluid and it will last a reasonably long time.

That vehicle, as many have stated, does not have a dipstick.

I believe these have multiple hydraulic engine and transmission mounts. I imagine they're due for replacement.

Last edited:
I did decide to spray some fluid film on the crossmembers and suspension parts and I found a boot separated from the power steering rack. I’m glad to have found it, but disappointed.

Should I really bother changing the CVT filter? I don’t want to put more work into this thing after drain and filling the CVT fluid twice.

Attachments

• 32BB5598-4887-4B5C-95FB-A280FDD4F5DD.jpeg
    32BB5598-4887-4B5C-95FB-A280FDD4F5DD.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 25
I'd detail it like crazy, ensure it has good tires and that everything works, and sell it. Used cars with under 100K miles are selling for a fortune right now. Or,,, plan for a $5000 transmission replacement in the next 2 years. If you like the Rogue, purchase a new one and drive it another 70,000 miles.

Let's put this another way, whether you keep it or sell it and replace with a well purchased new Rogue, the cost per mile will be very, very close to the same. I'd rather have new with warranty and needing no repairs, than old.

My 2014 Rogue Select had a long dipstick with a locking tab. I know I changed the fluid when I saw "mud" on the tip of it. Drove that car had - no trans issues. Incredibly comfortable seats, just a pleasant vehicle with a really solid body structure. Keep after the heat shield on the exhaust come un-tacked and cause a buzzing. Just a have a custom muffer shop remove or re-weld them fro cheap.

Ran great. Brakes were the problem - but I had no trouble until used them super hard a few times,
then they took to chewing up the inside pad.

Now is this the Rounded bar of soap Rogue Select - aka: Qashqai ?

I don't like the full size Rogue platform where I have ridden in the back and noticed it has High Q low frequency flex. I don't like flex-y platforms.

Rogue Select:

rogue select.jpg

I did decide to spray some fluid film on the crossmembers and suspension parts and I found a boot separated from the power steering rack. I’m glad to have found it, but disappointed.

Should I really bother changing the CVT filter? I don’t want to put more work into this thing after drain and filling the CVT fluid twice.
Did you spray on the fluid film or smear it on with your finger?? It's looks like peanut butter all over everything.

I used a brush. It’s thicker and lasts longer that way. It’s also cheaper buying the pales than the spray cans

I also have NO idea how or why the local Nissan dealer gave them financing on a '22 Rogue. The guy can only show a little income from some sort of disability and the wife isn't working. And they look like tweakers.
Nissans are the primary car for Hertz’s Uber car lease program. Lyft Express Drive also leases Nissans - I’ve seen Hyundais and occasionally Prius or Corolla Hybrids at the local Lyft depot. $300/week, basic maintenance and insurance included. Outside of Uber and Lyft, Nissan dealers specialize in subprime customers.

Nissan aggressively sells to rental fleets these days to make their numbers. Just like Chrysler and GM sold Plymouths and Chevy Corsicas/Luminas to the rental fleets years ago. Hertz was an almost all Ford shop.

Back