My wife’s 14 Rogue. I’m not motivated to maintain.

In my experience, neglecting a car you have no love for sometimes has a paradoxical effect. The vehicle senses your disdain and continues to run fine gradually increasing your contempt.
It's true. We were becoming embarrassed by our '63 Chevy II (the kids had pushed it onto its side at Halloween and battery acid ran out and corroded one fender). So we decided to allow it only $100 more in repairs. Anything more than that and it had to go.

That winter my wife tore the gearshift lever off on one really cold day. I came to the rescue and drove it in 2nd gear to our favourite service place (Shirley's Service in Saskatoon). The guys there went to a wrecker and came back with a half dozen shift levers in order to find one that would work. Seems they really liked that old car. That bill came to about $25 for parts and labour.

We never spent that $100. It just kept going.

My parents owned an '08 for years and currently have a '15 that replaced it; no problems. Check the motor mounts, get yourself some caps if that bothers you, change the engine oil every 5k miles, CVT fluid every 30k, undercoat it and drive it! Good luck!

I have respect for my tools; I would service that Rogue. At the minimum, proper service should make it safer to drive and help at time of resale.
I service a 2015 Altima S. It has the dipstick tube cap plug thing. I picked up a dipstick off Ebay I think which makes services easy.

Look at the price of a new Rogue, if you can even get one. Maybe that would motivate you.
Funny, I roundabout know a couple of tweakers who pulled up in a brand new Rogue the other day. I didn't recognize it as a Rogue because they've really grown.

I also have NO idea how or why the local Nissan dealer gave them financing on a '22 Rogue. The guy can only show a little income from some sort of disability and the wife isn't working. And they look like tweakers.

I lost faith in Nissan with a 2012 Armada and a 2008 Maxima. Unless a lease for dirt cheap I'd not buy one aain. My complaints are all mechanical. I find them good-looking and comfortable. Mechanically ugh.
I share the exact same sentiments, but towards Volvo, not Nissan.
I've never owned a Nissan to give any comment towards their reliability.

My parents owned an '08 for years and currently have a '15 that replaced it; no problems. Check the motor mounts, get yourself some caps if that bothers you, change the engine oil every 5k miles, CVT fluid every 30k, undercoat it and drive it! Good luck!
The motor mounts came to mind when he mentioned vibrating in drive at idle. Ford Focus mounts come to mind, they’ll rattle your teeth out.
OP, this is good advice from GSCJR, If the CVT is not giving you obvious signs that it has a problem, change the fluid every 30k, and drive it in the ground. The vibration at idle while in drive has nothing to do with the CVT.

Last edited:
I had a 2016 Rogue SL awd that my son now has. 150k miles on the original trans and the only repair I had to make was the water pump. I changed the CVT fluid at 103k when I bought it (actually the dealership did) and I told him it is due for another change.

It doesn’t have a dipstick.

If maintained and driven decently, these are great cars. The 2016 SL awd is why I bought my 2019 SL awd, which I enjoy for my daily commute. There are many cars I’d rather have, but this one, and my last one checked a lot of boxes for an affordable price. You should maintain it.

I guess another question would be, is it paid for? If not, do yo guys owe a lot on it? If you owe a lot, you either need to sell it now while the demand for cars may help you, or start maintaining it. If it’s paid for, service it and drive the wheels off of it.
Again, check the motor mounts for the vibration issue. 😉🍻

If you want to destroy the running vehicle do so. Save time and spend 40 grand on a new car. You sound like someone with way too much money that makes terrible financial decisions . A running maintained car will run a lot longer than one abused. Buy your wife a rav 4 prime and enjoy it.
The cost of a coolant cap and cvt fluid change and oil n filter is dirt cheap. What else does it need ? Tires and brakes ? 80 k miles is a stupid place to start wanting to destroy a financial asset.
If your so wealty then donate the car you hate to charity and buy your wife a lexus or high end toyota that might interest you to change oil.

My ex just destroyed her honda crv because she does not know how to check oil or coolant. The engine exploded and head gasket and head all exploded in pieces of con rod and pistons and valves. Maybe you can drain the oil out of your car today and drive it on the freeway till it all explodes. You can enjoy the fun of buying a new car tomorrow. Hope you find one with a 40 grand added dealer markup since money is not an issue for you.

If you want to destroy the running vehicle do so. Save time and spend 40 grand on a new car. You sound like someone with way too much money that makes terrible financial decisions . A running maintained car will run a lot longer than one abused. Buy your wife a rav 4 prime and enjoy it.
The cost of a coolant cap and cvt fluid change and oil n filter is dirt cheap. What else does it need ? Tires and brakes ? 80 k miles is a stupid place to start wanting to destroy a financial asset.
If your so wealty then donate the car you hate to charity and buy your wife a lexus or high end toyota that might interest you to change oil.
Wow, I think he's just saying he doesn't care for the car. Drama much?

If he's got too much money I'm gonna say he may not actually make terrible financial decisions.

If he wants to "destroy" an asset he owns, that's his choice.

Wow, I think he's just saying he doesn't care for the car. Drama much?

If he's got too much money I'm gonna say he may not actually make terrible financial decisions.

If he wants to "destroy" an asset he owns, that's his choice.
Sure is. I did not advocate someone taking the car away. But anyone wanting to stop keeping a car in repair at 70 k miles. A car they own is by definition not making good financial decisions.

You’ll probably like it a lot more if you fix it up. I’m always more attached, even to an old beater, once I get it running right and cleaned up and a 2014 with 70k miles is still pretty new/low mileage!

My dad has a 2010 Rogue with 170k miles on it and it’s been stupid reliable. He did recently have to replace a bunch of gaskets to stop oil leaks. I think he only changed the CVT fluid once around 120k miles.

Back