My wife’s 14 Rogue. I’m not motivated to maintain.

My wife bought this car before we were married. She bought it used. It has 70k miles. Its condition is not confidence inspiring. It runs and shifts fine thankfully. There’s no sign of the transmission going bad, but the cabin does vibrate when in Drive at idle.

I did a CVT drain and fill. The fluid was dark brown. The CVT dipstick was broken, the metal indicator gone. Only the plastic cap remained. The refrigerant high/low caps were gone. The coolant overflow reservoir cap was gone. This car just does not enthrall me. Most cars I maintain well, I have a pride of ownership. This car instills no satisfaction, which means I want to neglect it.

Given the Nissan Rogue’s CVT reputation, how hog-Wild should I go maintaining this thing? I want to do a simple OCI at 7k miles, drain and fill the CVT every 30k miles and put on cheap Fram Ultra filters. Usually I spray undercoating on my cars for the winter salt slush, but this rogue, I want to neglect it.

Anyone have experience with these Rogues? If they are maintained diligently, do they last? I can rust proof it, but only if I can get 7+ years and 50k miles out of it before any costly repair occurs. If this car is doomed to have a transmission failure within the next few years, I’d rather not invest so much TIME into it. Thanks.

I maintain a 13 Rogue for a family member. Change oil every 5k and drain and fill tranny a couple of times. At about 120k the transmission blew. She replace the tranny due to the high cost of a new vehicle. At this point it is doing good. Hoping to get three more years out of it.

If you're going to neglect it (and rightfully in my opinion, I feel like modern Nissans are meant to be neglected and run to 80k miles), I would just dump it off on someone else while it works and has decent resale value. This is just my somewhat anti-Nissan biased opinion

Umm...They don't have a dipstick. That's just the fill plug.
Are you certain, every video I saw, when they pulled the plug, it had a metal stick attached. Like this.

Attachments

• B9126CF4-6CF9-496B-91A6-3BD6F368DC13.jpeg
    B9126CF4-6CF9-496B-91A6-3BD6F368DC13.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 32
Usually I spray undercoating on my cars for the winter salt slush, but this rogue, I want to neglect it.
If you want to neglect it, you will. Regardless of what anyone on this or any other message forum will tell you.

When I feel that level of indifference towards a vehicle, I usually sell it.
I find no point in pouring money and time into something I'm not passionate about.
🤷‍♂️

A friend of mine has a 2009 Rogue. Mileage is around 150k. He hasn't had transmission issues or any other big issues either. I don't really care for the Rogue but his has been good. They also have a 2009 Versa in the family which aside from a couple of sensors has also been pretty problem free. He's also got a 2018 Titan which has been worked hard and not maintained the greatest and that hasn't required any warranty repairs as of yet.

Last edited:
Is this the new body style or the we-had-extra-parts model, er I mean Select?

I think the Select stopped in '13?

I service a '13 Select (the great fried bug MAF debacle of '22) and I agree it is very pedestrian....does not inspire passion or even warm fuzzy feelings

Like said, the cap on the CVT charge tube is just that. A cap. No stick, even though it may look like it should have one.

Your vibes are likely a bad engine mount. Pretty common.

If it's AWD, you'll want to drain/refill the transfer case and rear differential. The T-case being the more important one. They're barely the size of a cantaloupe and cost about $3K just for the part.

Have you told your wife this ? Have you showed her your post here ? Honestly curious why you feel this way about it but I suspect it's because you didn't give it your stamp of approval when it was bought....

This video shows the CVT dipstick being removed. My rogue’s dipstick is the exact same tab style extraction cap. It also has the slot that a dipstick metal sleeve *would* go into. I think you guys are mistaken.

I lost faith in Nissan with a 2012 Armada and a 2008 Maxima. Unless a lease for dirt cheap I'd not buy one aain. My complaints are all mechanical. I find them good-looking and comfortable. Mechanically ugh.

Rogs and Altima from that same period were plagued with CVTs problems

I'd consider to sell it

Back