Sealant for paper water pump gasket (High Tack not working??)

Hello BITOG forum,

I have a 2000 GMC Sonoma with the 2.2 (iron block) and I'm getting ready to reinstall the water pump for the second time. The first time, I used the supplied paper gasket that came with the water pump without any sealant on the gasket or threads, but made sure to clean the block surface very well with a razor blade. I also didn't really clean the bolts or threads as much as I could have since I thought the bolts weren't exposed to coolant, which I still can't really determine at this point. Long story short, it seemed good for the first day, since I didn't really let it warm up. Once I drove in traffic with the A/C on and it got up to temp, the pump started getting wet on the sides and bottom.

Fast forward to today, I test fit the water pump without the gasket and it seems to be level and sealing. Also also cleaned the bolts and threads real well and all bolts now smoothly thread in until they bottom out.

So, I purchased Permatex High Tack Sealant (80062) and Permatex High Performance Thread Sealant (56521) for this second go around. With a new fel-pro paper gasket, I began to paint the Permatex High Tack Sealant on the gasket, but was surprised when it got tacky immediately. I couldn't rub it into the material with my finger like everyone else says to do because my finger literally stuck to the paper. So I trashed that gasket and will go get a new one.

I'm going to return the High Tack and would like to know, was this normal for the stuff? If not, I'll try and get another bottle, but I'm thinking about trying something different like the Permatex shellac (20539). Heck, maybe I'm overreacting and should just install the gasket dry but with thread sealer this time. Just desperately trying to avoid a third attempt.

Thank you for the help.

Last edited:
Similar thing happened to me with the s10 i had, I used regular water pump gasket sealant which didn't start setting that fast.

I always used Permatex #2 and never had an issue. I've done a couple of 2.2 Cavaliers. I've used Indian Head gasket shellac for other pumps which are hard to access. I stick the gasket to the pump with the shellac, then use #2 on the other side that goes to the block.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Dang, really wish I could get my hands on Hylomar M, but it looks like I would have to order it. Unfortunately can't leave the truck all apart for that time frame. I'm leaning towards lightly coating the paper gasket with Permatex #2 since it seems designed for that, is operational in 4 hours, and can be picked up at my local parts store. Would this be, at least, comparable to using Hylomar?

I always used Permatex #2 and never had an issue. I've done a couple of 2.2 Cavaliers. I've used Indian Head gasket shellac for other pumps which are had to access. I stick the gasket to the pump with the shellac, then use #2 on the other side that goes to the block.
When you used it, did you apply just a thin film onto the paper gasket?

Thanks.

Use as a gasket dressing on both sides.

Loctite_515_51531_135479_flange_50ml_tube_NA-1

I have some experience with Permatex High Tack. It does get sticky quick. I am pretty generous with the application on both sides, I wouldn't bother trying to rub it in with your finger, that just sounds like a mess.

Did you torque your WP on in the correct sequence and spec?

I use the red hi tack on all paper and cork gaskets never an issue. Of course it's tacky, it's in the name. Only use Indian head if you never plan on doing the job again, you'll have to hammer the pump off and chisel the remaining gasket

I'm not sure who told you to rub high tack in with your fingers, that's some seriously sticky stuff. I always use high tack on water pumps, and it works great.

My understanding/opinion is not to use any dressing or sealant because its weaker than the supplied gasket. Also, may allow gasket to creep or slide out and allow a leak. Use only if surfaces are gouged or damaged.

I've always just installed gaskets dry because that's what Fel Pro recommends. With paper gaskets, I did notice once I was getting minor seepage but after a month it went a way. I'm assuming that was because the gasket takes some time to set and expand a little from the water contact.

Don't paint the gasket.

You can dress the mating surfaces with whatever you want. I don't dress gaskets unless using:

Absent any major pitting/surface imperfections.....A DRY quality paper should work, It being dry is key though! Sealant, RTV's, & Coolants act as a lubricant which can destroy/tear the gasket as it's being compressed.

2.2L's needing thread sealant on the water pump bolts escapes me at the moment, But a quick test with a rubber tipped air gun on the bolt holes would clear that up.

Hello BITOG forum,

I have a 2000 GMC Sonoma with the 2.2 (iron block) and I'm getting ready to reinstall the water pump for the second time. The first time, I used the supplied paper gasket that came with the water pump without any sealant on the gasket or threads, but made sure to clean the block surface very well with a razor blade. I also didn't really clean the bolts or threads as much as I could have since I thought the bolts weren't exposed to coolant, which I still can't really determine at this point. Long story short, it seemed good for the first day, since I didn't really let it warm up. Once I drove in traffic with the A/C on and it got up to temp, the pump started getting wet on the sides and bottom.

Fast forward to today, I test fit the water pump without the gasket and it seems to be level and sealing. Also also cleaned the bolts and threads real well and all bolts now smoothly thread in until they bottom out.

So, I purchased Permatex High Tack Sealant (80062) and Permatex High Performance Thread Sealant (56521) for this second go around. With a new fel-pro paper gasket, I began to paint the Permatex High Tack Sealant on the gasket, but was surprised when it got tacky immediately. I couldn't rub it into the material with my finger like everyone else says to do because my finger literally stuck to the paper. So I trashed that gasket and will go get a new one.

I'm going to return the High Tack and would like to know, was this normal for the stuff? If not, I'll try and get another bottle, but I'm thinking about trying something different like the Permatex shellac (20539). Heck, maybe I'm overreacting and should just install the gasket dry but with thread sealer this time. Just desperately trying to avoid a third attempt.

Thank you for the help.
You are really just supposed to put the high tack on the water pump side. Place the paper gasket on it so it sticks to the pump. Then position the pump and run the bolts through with the thread sealant applied. Carefully torque the water pump by going around in increments, then final torque.
I’ve had a problematic seal once, and I found a very small chunk of old gasket on the block. Lots of light helps to inspect it. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back