Sealant for paper water pump gasket (High Tack not working??)

I usually coat both sides of the paper gasket with this stuff, and it works great:

Permatex-Water-Pump-and-Thermostat-RTV-Silicone-Gasket-Maker-.5-OZ-22071-1.jpg

Permatex 80065 High Tack Spray-A-Gasket Sealant hasn't let me down in at least two decades.
Just the spray on form.
It does get sticky pretty fast, depending on the ambient temp.
Hang the gasket from one of the holes. Spray it on both sides. Wait 15 minutes.
Attach it to the pump and then mount the pump.
Wash hands with acetone or denatured alcohol.

Thanks for the replies. Dang, really wish I could get my hands on Hylomar M, but it looks like I would have to order it. Unfortunately can't leave the truck all apart for that time frame. I'm leaning towards lightly coating the paper gasket with Permatex #2 since it seems designed for that, is operational in 4 hours, and can be picked up at my local parts store. Would this be, at least, comparable to using Hylomar?

When you used it, did you apply just a thin film onto the paper gasket?

Thanks.
Yes, but not too thin. Another idea is to get a better quality gasket than what comes with the pump. Those cheap paper gaskets always get some #2 Permatex when I do them.

Been using Permatex #2 on coolant, fuel and oil gaskets for 50 yrs. Works excellent as a thread sealant because it is non hardening and prevents corrosion between dis-similar metals :cool:

Permatex Ultra Black. I decided on this variety because it seemed as close to universal as you can get, aside from maybe super high heat. And places where you need a very specialized sealant/adhesive.

I also like the black because it doesn't stand out as bad as the blue/orange/red/gray underhood if it gets away from you. And let's face it, RTV and others act like pipe dope. It will get somewhere you didn't mean for it to. Almost every time. 😆

Permatex Ultra Black. I decided on this variety because it seemed as close to universal as you can get, aside from maybe super high heat. And places where you need a very specialized sealant/adhesive.

I also like the black because it doesn't stand out as bad as the blue/orange/red/gray underhood if it gets away from you. And let's face it, RTV and others act like pipe dope. It will get somewhere you didn't mean for it to. Almost every time. 😆
This is kinda the route I've gone, too. Ultra Black works for 99% of stuff and is readily available just about anywhere incl places like Walmart.

I don't mean to be a total hillbilly but K.I.S.S.

Hylomar and 515 are anaerobic, and not to be used with a gasket, they need reactive metal to properly cure.
These are not meant for paper gaskets. Hylomar M looks like it will seal metal to plastic.

Permatex 2B for paper and cork gaskets. It makes the gasket oil and water proof.

Lay out your gasket on a newspaper and then spread the 2B on like you're frosting a cake. Apply to both sides of gasket.

This stuff is messy but always works. Clean up excess with rubbing alcohol.
80016_500px.jpg

Back