Shop that mainly uses Duralast parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at my indy for a state inspection but the wait was too long. He recommended I go to another shop down the block and they should get me in no problem.

While the other place did the inspection, I looked around and saw many Duralast boxes sitting on the shelves -- from brakes, to alternators, to ignition wires and etc. An AZ delivery truck also came by and dropped off some parts.

What do you guys think of a shop that mainly uses Duralast parts? I know all parts chains are basically the same nowadays and probably get their stuff made in the same overseas factories. According to AAP's website, they at least have access to OEM parts, should you pay the price. They also have a greater variety in brake pads and ignition components. With AZ, it's just 2 or 3 Duralast lines. I've been in other shops that get their stuff from different places. In a given day, the Napa, AAP and AZ trucks can all stop by.

Last edited:
I used to work at AutoZone many years ago. I still keep in touch with the personnel there. Commercial customers get their parts at autozone far, far cheaper than anywhere else - sometimes 50% off. That's a huge profit maker!

Nothing wrong with Autozone parts for most stuff. Parts woman/lady friend of mine works there and knows more than some dealers Parts guys which is sad

Duralast is not a brand, just a box name for Autozone. The thermostat a customer brought me the other day was made by Motorrad, Israel was the country of origin, in a Duralast box.

Many shops will buy from the closet place; Advance, AZ, Napa, etc... time is money so closest usually wins. After that it depends if the parts house will stand behind the part and not give any lip on returns.

I buy lots of stuff from a-zone. Their brake pads and rotors are very good. Belts and hoses are dayco. My cost on belts for my truck is $5.49ea and made in usa! Their alternators and starters come with a labor warranty that I have never had to use unlike Napa's garbage thats almost guaranteed to leave the customer stranded.

Electronics like throttle position sensors I tend to go with Orileys because most of the time theirs are oe parts reboxed.

Oil.... pep boys! No other stores can touch my cost on oil from pb for " normal" cars.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like the type of shop that I would normally frequent.

I would be more impressed if the shop sources most of their parts from Worldpac or the dealer.

My local Advanced Auto calls them "Don't Last" parts but I just smile back because usually they both use the same refurb company which makes them the same parts hah

Last edited:
Duralast is just a name slapped on stuff manufactured by someone else. Because of this, "good enough" that meets an interface and fit is about right.

OE may or may not be better, but it likely is. Named aftermarket may or may not be better, or the same, as duralast.

I have an Autozone a few blocks away from me. I have had good luck with their parts over the years. I have never had to take any back.

I have great luck with their parts. The Trans Am has Duralast Gold brakes on it. 150 1/4 miles passes they still stop it just fine.

Maybe they have cash flow problems and AZ is the only store that still finances them?

I buy the "they're close" idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back