Truck update

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
Well over two weeks and the estimate is currently over $25,000 to fix it. This body shop told USAA it is fixable. I said well I don't want it fixed over 2 hours from home. USAA that is fine, it is the law that you get to pick your own shop. Problem is the best body shops 10 to 30 minutes from me say it is totaled and a frame swap is stupid, and they wonder how this small 2 bay shop is going to get it correct. NO one but this one place wants to mess with it. I have talked to 8 places. I feel I have done my due diligence in looking for a shop that suits my needs and USAA wanting to fix it.

So, the adjuster called in her next level adjuster (car expert...sure) so they can crunch the numbers. 25,000 + loss of use + rental car + diminished value + slavage value + loss of use = value of truck. I hope that puts it over the price to total it. I should know on Tuesday.

What a .... show. Do I continue to argue? Do I let this place fix it? Am I being unreasonable (a Karen)? Either way I am not keeping the truck. Even if it comes back perfect, in my my mind it will never be the same truck. Not only that they are thinking at a minimum 3 months to fix so figure 5 months, plus the 25,000 to fix it will grow.

Let me hear what you all have to say.

My 2016 Grand Cherokee was never right after it was fixed, that's why I got rid of it. Oddly, the same shop (many years earlier, with different staff) did the work on my M5 and it was flawless.

Like yourself, I have a hang-up on a vehicle ever being "right" after an incident such as this, so I'd be pushing for replacement too.

my insurance Erie treated me right giving me more than the current selling price for my 08 lo mile colorado a few years ago + i found a manual Frontier King CAB SV 18 preowned with about 20 thou on it to replace it that i love!! actually similar mpgs with a more powerful V-6 compared to the collys anemic 4 banger but i miss the single cab + its easier to park + maneuver smaller size!

I believe you're on the right track.

Did you get full, written, formal appraisals of the shops that wanted to total the truck? That would go a long way to convincing your company that it's a loss. Just telling them won't be enough; you'll have to prove it. If you can get 4 or 5 shops to give a full written loss statement, I'd think that would be enough to show the insurance adjuster the one shop is not in line with the common repair industry standards. It would also give you a good leg to stand on legally, should further suit actions become viable ...

I believe you're on the right track.

Did you get full, written, formal appraisals of the shops that wanted to total the truck? That would go a long way to convincing your company that it's a loss. Just telling them won't be enough; you'll have to prove it. If you can get 4 or 5 shops to give a full written loss statement, I'd think that would be enough to show the insurance adjuster the one shop is not in line with the common repair industry standards. It would also give you a good leg to stand on legally, should further suit actions become viable ...
They talked to the same shops. They won't even look at ut based off what the shop that has it says.

I say let them fix it. So what if it's 2 hrs away. You don't need to go baby sit it. If you want to check on it's progress make a dinner date out of the trip. Or see a museum in that area etc.

A 2+ hr trip here is just a Monday .
You want to pay for my time? My gas? The shops I spoke with are better rated then this one. None of them will touch it. I need the truck at least 5 times in the next 3 months and USAA will not pay for a 3/4 ton or better.

You want to pay for my time? My gas? The shops I spoke with are better rated then this one. None of them will touch it. I need the truck at least 5 times in the next 3 months and USAA will not pay for a 3/4 ton or better.
I actually enjoy little road trips like that. If nobody near you will do it can you get the ins to total it?

I think you're right in the path you're going.

Having gone through that many shops giving you those opinions -- that will always sit with you... even it if does get fixed, and leave you uneasy knowing what 'might' be there.

At this point I hope you get the most you can out of it and walk away with decent funds to get into another truck of you liking.

The whole thing sucks. But hey, maybe you can find something else you like... you do seem to like your sons Duramax. Maybe a clean crew cab LBZ/Allison 6-speed GMT800? :)

Doubt the insurance company will go for paying out $40K to total it if they think it can be fixed for $25K.
If the insurance company cuts a check for $40k and they sell it at auction for $25k then they're out $15k. Plus they won't have to risk a rejected repair.

In my mind when you start messing around with frames and start complete tear down and rebuild and replacing all those parts what are the chances of it being 100 % after .......little to none.
Mike ! i would't want or trust it either especially to work and tow heavy loads.

Back