Frame replacement

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
So the way truck prices are right now USAA will repair a truck up to 100 percent of the claimed value. My trade in value is anywhere from 38,000 to 42,000 dollars. As you all know here I do all my own stuff. Body shop is at about 23,000 for repairs. That includes an ENTIRE frame swap, they say it has a bend at the passenger side shock mount. I want to see it myself, but it is over 2 hours away. It will get a new front clip, 2 new doors and various other items. I am not sure I can even fight with insurance about it. I am going to demand a complete respray, no reason to paint just the cab and then blend in the paint on the bed That would be stupid. I want an itemized list of every fastener and rubber frame component replaced. I just don't think it will ever be right again. I certainly won't feel comfortable towing with it.

What does BITOG say?

Well there are hundreds of thousands of Toyota trucks with successful frame swaps out on the road doing truck stuff...

The cosmetics would bother me more than the mechanicals.

Don't forget to get money for diminished value.

Well there are hundreds of thousands of Toyota trucks with successful frame swaps out on the road doing truck stuff...

The cosmetics would bother me more than the mechanicals.

Don't forget to get money for diminished value.
True, but most of those are not towing 32 foot travel trailers, boats or parade floats on a regular basis.

As long as you picked a good shop, it’ll be fine. Some people are master artists at body work. I may not always see eye-to-eye with my dad but I have to say his 30 years doing heavy collision repair, he was a master at it.

I can’t find the after picture but this was a new Monte Carlo in the 90s that he fixed. It was perfect afterwards.

IMG_5546.jpeg
IMG_5547.jpeg

Personally, I would walk away as soon as possible. Some things are never the same once touched and in your case OP it’s sounds like you “really” use your truck.

I had a 2.5 year vehicle that had severe rust. The manufacturer/dealership really did do right by. I didn’t spend a penny on having the rust fixed. When they found more that required the cab being removed (still wasn’t going to pay a penny) I traded it in. I have zero regrets and believe sometimes you just have to walk away from somethings to avoid future headaches/financial loses.

Only you are going to be able to decide (or accept) that the truck is "right" again.

Reality is that trucks like this are repaired all the time, and pressed right back into service doing their job. The fact you tow doesn't make your case special or unusual since these trucks are essentially a large tool to accomplish a task and they do that in fleets everywhere... Source: I work with a fleet of 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton trucks an up that are damaged and repaired all the time. Ours tow traffic control trailers, bobcats, small excavators, etc - all the stuff thats needed to keep your roads open. We've found shops that do a decent job for us, but inevitably they go back for minor fixes after the work is done.

Is there any chance that the body shop could find more damage, pushing the claim higher?
I don't know how they are getting to 38,000. It does not need anything in the interior. I mean they are at 23,000 with completely new front clip, 2 doors and a frame. I would be amazed if they could get to 30,000 at this point.

Reactions: JTK
Only you are going to be able to decide (or accept) that the truck is "right" again.

Reality is that trucks like this are repaired all the time, and pressed right back into service doing their job. The fact you tow doesn't make your case special or unusual since these trucks are essentially a large tool to accomplish a task and they do that in fleets everywhere... Source: I work with a fleet of 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton trucks an up that are damaged and repaired all the time. Ours tow traffic control trailers, bobcats, small excavators, etc - all the stuff thats needed to keep your roads open. We've found shops that do a decent job for us, but inevitably they go back for minor fixes after the work is done.
Well that is encouraging. Suck part is they are over 2 hours away and the truck be gone 3 months.

Last edited:
I agree with @MNgopher and have the same experience with the fleet of pickups we us at work. With my personal vehicles, the only issues I ever have is with aftermarket paint work. Paint durability absolutely sucks as is. Couple that with your standard body shop insurance job work make it double bad IMO. I'd try to avoid repainting what you don't have to IMO.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
I would worry more about paint and electrical. All the grounds have to back in place. Sensitive airbag sensors and stuff too.
On a modern vehicle I bet there are a bunch of GND points.
Also. complete PT, exhaust and fuel swap also.

I would walk away from this with a fat check if possible - but I just have bad luck with cars that are mine.

I would worry more about paint and electrical. All the grounds have to back in place. Sensitive airbag sensors and stuff too.
On a modern vehicle I bet there are a bunch of GND points.
Also. complete PT, exhaust and fuel swap also.

I would walk away from this with a fat check if possible - but I just have bad luck with cars that are mine.

Electrical gremlins are the usual reason for us to send something back to be fixed after major bodywork. Something loose, not attached, damaged connector, etc... For us, we aren't super focused on the quality of the paintwork - they are tools to accomplish a job. We don't accept garbage, but our standard there is lower than a personal truck... Our crews (well some of them anyways) appreciate having nicer equipment to do their work...

Once the repairs are finalized and complete, ask for a dimished value claim. Your truck's value is permanently tarnished on a carfax etc but this will (somewhat) fairly compensate you.
Many policies now will not accept claims for diminished value although that may be something to argue in court against the other person involved in some cases. My insurance agent is someone I have known since high school, I know I can always get the straight answer from him, he isnt the most expensive but he isnt the cheapest either. My brother had a tornado hit his house and a rental 7 or 8 yrs ago. It damaged both buildings well over 100k, one phone call was all he made.

I'm curious about what they do in a frame swap. Do they find a complete used frame with all lines, wiring, brakes, and suspension, and then drop your engine, trans, and body onto it? Or would they take the time to swap better parts from your truck or replace worn parts with new?

Back