Recommendations for a pair of old Camrys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, Im new to the forum. So please forgive me, if Im doing it wrong.

I have a 2002 Camry LE with a 4 cyl.

My brother has a 2003 Camry XLE with a 4 cyl.

Both Automatics. Both have just shy of 200,000 miles on them.

Need advice for oils. Both have been fed Supertech 10w-30 regularly for years. Maybe the occassional Pennzoil.

My brothers Camry went down 2 quarts from a gasket leak before he caught it. That's been repaired but now he's consuming oil badly since. Like a quart on a tank (500 miles).

My Camry is down about a 1/2 to 1 quart every 5000 miles or so.

I got some Valvoline Maxlife 10w-40 for his vehicle. See if that slows it up a bit. Dunno. We changed it last Sunday. Havent heard back from him yet on any results

What say you?

And Thanks!

I was thinking about going to a 40 weight myself. It gets hot around these parts during the summer, Charleston SC. Never gets much below 32 degrees Farenheit in the winter.

Maybe some Rotella T6 5w-40 or Mobil 1 0w-40. Pennzoil High Mileage 10w-40? Or should I just stick with 30 weights.

Last edited:
T6 is a fine oil but perhaps not for the converters of cars BURNING a lot of oil. I'd stick with Supertech synthetic in 10 W 30. Your brother needs to find out what WASN'T fixed on his car after the gasket leak. If it was the oil pump there are several other seals and gaskets which may need changing.

If the oil consumption in your brother's Camry started right after it was low on oil that to me says the engine lost oil pressure and damaged lubricated surfaces. So is this in fact true?

Originally Posted By: Donald
If the oil consumption in your brother's Camry started right after it was low on oil that to me says the engine lost oil pressure and damaged lubricated surfaces. So is this in fact true?

I think this is the current assumption that we are working under.

PS = Talked to him this morning he said he was adding a quart of 10w-30 every 1000 miles or so. 2 to 3 tanks depending on type of driving.

His gas mileage isnt appreciably different than before the incident.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Has the PCV valve ever been replaced?

He says no. Plus he's not leaking oil, so it's not really a gasket or seal problem. (other than the original leak that was fixed)

Last edited:
I picked up another 5qt bottle of Valvoline Maxlife 10w-40, and a couple bottles of Mobil Super High Mileage 10w-40.

Im gonna put some of that MaxLife in my Camry.

Originally Posted By: Donald
What about transmission fluid?

His transmission fluid is in good shape.

Im just topped mine up. But Im thinking about using Mobil 3309 next change.

I don't think it is valid for your cars anymore due to mileage and age but Toyota has issued a Warranty enhancement for some toyota with the 2AZ-FE (2.4L) engine with excessive oil consumptions.

You can google: "Toyota ZE7"

They say it only affect the later model year but how can that be, it is the same engine is 2002 in different models that used the same engine.

I have just found it out due to a friend's 2008 Rav4 that I have been helping.
The car only has appx 134K. She owned it for 2 years.
I fill up 3 qts of oil around 2000 miles ago, she came last week to check.
It was low by 3 qts again, I did the oil change and only 1 qts drained.
She is going to the dealership on Monday.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EscapeVelocity
Hello,

What say you?

And Thanks!

I was thinking about going to a 40 weight myself. It gets hot around these parts during the summer, Charleston SC. Never gets much below 32 degrees Farenheit in the winter.

I am in a proverbial jungle type tropical climate (think humid, not dry heat) and have been persistent about 10w-xx year around but haven't pulled the trigger on xx-40 just yet, been staying with 30 eventhough the rig was back specd, due to CAFE "naturally" but I didn't bie on this Lex but I did on the Handuh Accord. My iron (literally) has 170k so I like talk about old Camrys (with high miles, even > than mine) I saw some Delo 15w-40 recently and Also Mobil Delvac on sale out hure but so far, the molecules I got in her now are doing splendid. Shouldn't we go "thick 30 weight" first before jumping a viscosity grade. I'm a bit pessimistic and wary of additional loss in the gas mileages of the world.

Last edited:
I'd start with a top end decarb with GM top end cleaner & replace the PCV valve. Then see if you reduce your oil consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back