A concern about Fram filters I have...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Fram TG4386 for my Corolla at Walmart, and upon inspecting it, I have a concern that is probably irrelevant, but it got my mind thinking anyways: the silicon ADBV sticks down into the center tube pretty far. Is there any possibility that oil flowing out of the filter through the center tube could collapse the part of the ADBV that sticks down into the center tube, fold it over into the outlet hole on the engine, and block off oil flow???
45.gif
I've never seen an oil filter where the ADBV sticks down so far.

Last edited:
That's the exact filter I have on the Matrix right now with 9000 miles on it. So I hope there's no problem with it. I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with it. Prob just get an ultra for the next oci. No complaints with those.

I have a TG4386 that's gonna be used once I'm done with my Ultra and it looks exactly like that. I do know what you mean, how the adbv goes pretty deep. The thing is that so much oil passes through that very material a few millimeters away, and since silicon provides excellent high temp protection against breakdown, I wouldn't worry much. The ultra uses the same configuration and I have yet to see an ADBV failure of Fram TG's and XG's (correct me if I'm wrong). Everything in there is packed pretty tight so there's a very small to no chance of something like that happening.

All Fram regular auto filters have this as far as I have seen. Purolator makes a type that protrudes in also. I like the feature because it can be verified by looking through the hole if the valve is actually in place. Unlike this one I cut open and have shown before. I wouldn't have detected this flaw and the filter points base down in the car it was going on. Physically I think the way it works is the pressure is equal everywhere inside the center tube, so the protruding part does not bend over into the hole it stays as it is.

DSCN1026_zpstgspqw89.jpg

Originally Posted By: Donald
There is more chance at Walmart of you getting a used filter or swapped filter in the box than of the ADBV failing.

I noticed a used air filter in the box at WM yesterday. It wasn't filthy but clearly used.

I dont think the pressure of the oil could do anything with th ADBV. Never had an issue, the ADBV is solid in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back