Bit warm in Oz

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've got it all wrong Patman. If it is cold, there are clothes, coats, and quilts. But in the heat, we just recently (like 100 years ago) were introduced to refrigeration and air conditioning.

But in the end, it depends on where you are. Closer to the equator the cold isnt so bad. Whilst, further north the heat isnt so bad.

Some of the worst heat Ive experienced was working for the city parks. About May, in the morning the manager would turn on the sprinklers to water the ballfields just as the sun was rising and heating the Earth. Then we would weedeat all day. Bogged down humid it was.

The question for Australia is: can you seek refuge in the shade and catch a breeze? Or does it seem like punishment anytime you are outdoors.

I rode thru Death Valley in May many years ago, and while it did feel like you stuck your head in an oven- it wasnt torture. Phoenix, AZ felt fine in July, but then you'd come nside and drink a gallon of water and feel stupid. The humidity (or lack of) can trick you.

Originally Posted By: Patman
When it's cold, there is no escape, even when you go inside a warm building it takes you half a day for the feeling in your fingers to come back. No thanks.

And I'm a major baby about the cold. It's a good thing I live here, right?
wink.gif

I know both, extreme heat and extreme cold can kill you. And both require experience to navigate well.

I've seen a few young and fit guys drop from heat in the army. Around me it's both hot and humid, about 80% relative humidity, but at the same time the sun has extreme UV so sun burn short term and skin cancer long term are a big concern.

I don't know enough about the cold, but I always assumed you could put more clothes on. In the heat & humidity, the shade offers little relief once the temp is above body temp. Strip off all you want, and you are still hot and pretty soon sun burnt to a crisp. I've seen some nasty sun burn on people, massive blisters the size of tennis balls. They had to take them to hospital.

Living here I haven't experienced extreme heat or cold...but I don't like it too hot. I've spent more of my life working than lazing around, and there is always something to do to get warmer...like work harder. But heat just saps my energy, you can't jump in the pool at work, and the harder you work the hotter you get. I hate it. It's raining today, in summer, so tomorrow will be about 25c and humidity in the high 90's, hot and sticky, sweat not evaporating.

Don't spread it around too much, the fact that no one knows where we are is the best part about this place.

I hope to be heading down The Forgotten World Highway in a few weeks...trouble is, these days it's full of bloody tourists.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
You've got it all wrong Patman. If it is cold, there are clothes, coats, and quilts. But in the heat, we just recently (like 100 years ago) were introduced to refrigeration and air conditioning.

I am pretty sure that more homeless people die of hypothermia in the brutally cold winter than those that die due to heat in the hot summer. So the extreme cold is way more dangerous than the extreme heat.

At the end of the day I'm just not a winter person at all. I want to be in a place where I rarely see the temperature go below 60F.

Originally Posted By: SR5
I don't know enough about the cold, but I always assumed you could put more clothes on.

You certainly can, but there are always a few pitfalls. You, of course, can overdress, which is problematic in outdoor activities. And limited mobility is no fun, either. I occasionally snowmobile in some mighty cold temperatures, but strong arming a stuck sled when bundled up for such weather really enlightens one as to those pitfalls.
wink.gif

From a physical activity standpoint, I always had difficulty with the cold. When I did long distance running, the heat was never a problem. The hotter it got, the better I could run. My longest run was something like 18 miles, and it was 34 C. When I tried an ordinary run in -20 C, it felt like I had 100 lb ankle weights on each leg.

Of course, as Patman indicates, one has to be cautious in the cold, even when not engaging in outdoor activities. Getting stranded in a car with no cell service and no proper clothing is dangerous. A blackout in -40 C is a life threatening situation, too, not to mention the havoc it can cause to one's house.

Good point about clothing. I do not understand. When deer hunting some time ago, I thought I would be smart and put on two pairs of socks so my feet didnt freeze. Well, they sweating then froze even worse.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Well, they sweating then froze even worse.

Bingo. Bundling up great for snowmobiling in the cold is wonderful until I have to start lifting or running around. Then, it's the same thing as you mentioned with the feet, after sweating up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back