Old tv: how to get rid of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I'm talking about.
We can haul them to a dumpster at the dump - no idea what happens after that but city allows

there's 5 or 6 dollars of copper/aluminum/metal in one of them old behemoths....

not worth it for one tv, but if you get a dumpster load, some one in the business could make it work, but it is just too labor intensive

give it away if possible

If you take it apart, watch out for capacitors.

Back in the day of laaarge rear projection TV's, guys would get electrocuted when taking them apart.

The picture tube itself also holds a high voltage (30kv+) that must be discharged when servicing. I used a looong screwdriver with a wire clipped between the chasis and the tip. The bigger the tube (or projector gun) the higher the voltage.

Last edited:
I collected several dozen old TV's, placed them in front of my house, and turned them on for holiday lighting.
All the neighbors were so awed, they wanted to buy them for their house decorations!
I made over $200, and got them hauled off for free!

It's amazing what people will come get for if you post it for free on Craigslist. I've disposed of all kinds of junk just by putting it up on Craigslist. I'd be really surprised if no one came to get a perfectly good working TV.

Around here Goodwill takes any TV.

My employer had a few CRT/VCR/DVD combo deals for security footage, we donated all them to goodwill.

Nobody else would take them.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Bust it up with a hammer and get rid of it out piecemeal in the trash bags if all else fails.

Either that or toss it in a dumpster someplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back