How to get rid of fleas in the house

You need to start with the yard , then bomb the house and put down some kind of treatment to kill the flea and stop the eggs from hatching. Steam clean the carpets and mop the floors often. Use flea stuff on the animals.
The yard is very important.

Frontline for the dogs. (If you accept the risks).

Went through this last year and learned the hard way. Frontline is a huge waste of money! It doesn't work and when I mentioned it to my vet even she said its garbage. Get something that your vet recommends and don't waste your money on the store bought crap.

For in the house I tried about everything. Lights above dishes with soapy water, vacuuming multiple times daily you name it. They were still bad. I ended up watching a video of a guy that does pest control for a living on youtube. He recommended two products for flea control. The first one being conquer residential insecticide and the other being nyguard igr. I mixed them both at the recommended rate with water and sprayed the floor inside the whole house. This made a noticeable difference right away and combined with flea treatment from my vet knocked them out for good.

Just understand the life cycle of fleas is not short and knocking them out takes weeks.

Appreciate all who offered input. Over the years we've tried just about all the suggestions in one way or another and they seemed to have kept the fleas in check. This time they have been extremely difficult to control. Our plan of attack now: we purchased a topical spray good for carpets, furniture, bedding etc. and have sprayed the whole house with it. Claims to break the flea cycle and last for seven months. Also bought some foggers and we plan to set them off tomorrow when we will be away for the day. Everyday my wife takes all the bedding the dogs have and puts them in the dryer for ten minutes on high heat and then sprays them with a safe, all natural flea spray. I sprayed the yard with insecticide but given we walk the dogs every morning and afternoon out in a woodsy environment I'm not sure how much that will contribute to solving our flea problem. Our dogs are fourteen years old and starting to experience old age issues. Our goal is to make them as comfortable as possible in their later years. Fingers crossed. Thanks again for all your input.

Im sure many of the above measures work, to me the only simple solution is this. It wont happen overnight, but you wont be dosing your home with insecticides either.
We have used this product for 14 years, dog has never had a flea or any type of heartowrm/worm infections.
Once a month during the warn season here in the Carolina's we dont dose over the 4 month winter/cold season.

Once a month you simply squeeze one pre-measured tube behind the neck of the dog. If it's a large dog I think the instructions say the neck and midway down the back. Eventually with the adults dying off there will be no more. If the adult fleas can not live on your dog that ends the cycle, you do not need to treat the whole house but Im no expert.

You will never have to battle fleas again, in 14 years, we have never. Our dogs gets regular check ups too.

You do need a prescription from a VET which is good as I am not one. Take the dogs to the vet and ask them.
"...Kills Adult Fleas, Is Indicated For The Treatment Of Flea Infestations..."

Retail site (everyone carries it)

Im sure many of the above measures work, to me the only simple solution is this. It wont happen overnight, but you wont be dosing your home with insecticides either.
We have used this product for 14 years, dog has never had a flea or any type of heartowrm/worm infections.
Once a month during the warn season here in the Carolina's we dont dose over the 4 month winter/cold season.

Once a month you simply squeeze one pre-measured tube behind the neck of the dog. If it's a large dog I think the instructions say the neck and midway down the back. Eventually with the adults dying off there will be no more. If the adult fleas can not live on your dog that ends the cycle, you do not need to treat the whole house but Im no expert.

You will never have to battle fleas again, in 14 years, we have never. Our dogs gets regular check ups too.

You do need a prescription from a VET which is good as I am not one. Take the dogs to the vet and ask them.
"...Kills Adult Fleas, Is Indicated For The Treatment Of Flea Infestations..."

Retail site (everyone carries it)
Hey Alarm. Thanks. We have applied the drops as you have described, although not the brand you used. My wife happens to be taking our male in to the vet this afternoon for a consultation over congestive heart failure condition. I'll have her ask about that medication. Much appreciated.

When my cat got fleas I went straight for the exterminator. It's almost impossible to guarantee home remedies will kill them all because of how their life cycle works. They grow quickly, mate, lay eggs, die and then start all over again. Just remember no matter what you do to vacuum regularly and emtpy your bags/containers everyday to get rid of the buggers. Also buy flea and tick spray for all your bedding and furniture.

Good luck.

And P.S. You're better off with a hometown exterminator than a big name one, the big ones want to lock you into a contract for a years worth of treatments when you only need 2 or 3.

Hey Alarm. Thanks. We have applied the drops as you have described, although not the brand you used. My wife happens to be taking our male in to the vet this afternoon for a consultation over congestive heart failure condition. I'll have her ask about that medication. Much appreciated.
Yes, please mention the medication to your VET
The one we use is prescription because it also prevents heartworm to which is transmitted by mosquitoes.
I do not know if over the counter drops are as effective against fleas, but maybe they are, I just don’t know, would be a good conversation to have with your Vet
Anyway, I hope in someway this is helping I’m glad you’re going to talk to your Vet about it.

I am not a Vet but in my lifetime, I have had many dogs and the medication that I told you about that we use with this dog has amazed us that never once in 14 years now has he had fleas. He also has heartworm checks every year and they’re always negative.

I also do know as fact that once adult fleas cannot live on your dog eventually overtime, your house will be free of fleas because they do not live off humans and adult fleas need a host to reproduce. I have faith in Bayer products and I am not one who likes to use any medications on myself or dog

I know I am probably repeating myself, but maybe your over the counter drops are as effective and the prescription part it just for heartworm I don’t know.

I’m also on my cell phone using text to speech is I’m heading out I hope this all makes sense

Last edited:
Most welcome,
One more thing to my other posts since we have been using the product mentioned above for 14 years and initially used prescriptions from our Vet and because we still take the dog to a VET for annual check ups we still get the prescriptions so we are not "self medicating our dog"

But over time about 4ish years ago we started ordering the same Bayer Product that uses a different name in other countries all over the world including Canada, Buying from overseas the price is roughly half the cost. Whether AFTER your doctor prescribes the medicine you want to go that route is up to you.

In the past we got it from even Singapore and my wife just this past weekend ordered another 6 months worth from Australia always making sure the expiration dates will be good ahead of time.

This is the same Bayer Product overseas as the Advantage Multi is in the USA. I stress to get the prescription from the VET first, this way you know the VET has cleared the dog to get it. As overseas ordering you do not need the prescription, You just need to convert kg to lbs. You can expand the photo and see the range of nasty creatures that this stuff controls on your dog. ( I think also a product like this for cats)
IMG_4189.JPG

In the old days we would use Hartz Dog flea powder and really dust the dog except his face and eyes. He looked white from so much powder. Left him like that for 24 hours. Then gave him a bath with Hartz Rid Flea Dog shampoo. The water was real dirty and a bit red from dried blood. Tons of dead fleas in the bath water.

Around the same time we used several flea spray bombs around the house and stayed away for a day.

Worked real well.

Most welcome,
One more thing to my other posts since we have been using the product mentioned above for 14 years and initially used prescriptions from our Vet and because we still take the dog to a VET for annual check ups we still get the prescriptions so we are not "self medicating our dog"

But over time about 4ish years ago we started ordering the same Bayer Product that uses a different name in other countries all over the world including Canada, Buying from overseas the price is roughly half the cost. Whether AFTER your doctor prescribes the medicine you want to go that route is up to you.

In the past we got it from even Singapore and my wife just this past weekend ordered another 6 months worth from Australia always making sure the expiration dates will be good ahead of time.

This is the same Bayer Product overseas as the Advantage Multi is in the USA. I stress to get the prescription from the VET first, this way you know the VET has cleared the dog to get it. As overseas ordering you do not need the prescription, You just need to convert kg to lbs. You can expand the photo and see the range of nasty creatures that this stuff controls on your dog. ( I think also a product like this for cats)
View attachment 167562
Just happened to see your response so quickly after my last post. Funny how you don't need a prescription in other countries. I'll stop there. Our dogs are to the point we've decided to forgo any future shots for rabies, distemper, etc... But the fleas are another thing. They just look so miserable with the scratching and gnawing. If I was reincarnated as a dog, my wife is the one I would beg to be paired with. Living in the mountains I feel just complicates things. There are seasons up here when you can see the ticks hanging onto blades of grass just waiting for some critter to brush up against it. Do you by chance have any links to the overseas connections for the flea treatments?

If they are in the carpets and isolated to one area or room I have had success in killing the eggs (after having sprayed to kill the adults) by using a steamer to go over the carpet slowly. The heated steam kills the eggs so they don't start the cycle over again. I have also used powdered borax sprinkled into the carpet to kill fleas.

In the old days we would use Hartz Dog flea powder and really dust the dog except his face and eyes. He looked white from so much powder. Left him like that for 24 hours. Then gave him a bath with Hartz Rid Flea Dog shampoo. The water was real dirty and a bit red from dried blood. Tons of dead fleas in the bath water.

Around the same time we used several flea spray bombs around the house and stayed away for a day.

Worked real well.
Just happened to see your response so quickly after my last post. Funny how you don't need a prescription in other countries. I'll stop there. Our dogs are to the point we've decided to forgo any future shots for rabies, distemper, etc... But the fleas are another thing. They just look so miserable with the scratching and gnawing. If I was reincarnated as a dog, my wife is the one I would beg to be paired with. Living in the mountains I feel just complicates things. There are seasons up here when you can see the ticks hanging onto blades of grass just waiting for some critter to brush up against it. Do you by chance have any links to the overseas connections for the flea treatment?

If they are in the carpets and isolated to one area or room I have had success in killing the eggs (after having sprayed to kill the adults) by using a steamer to go over the carpet slowly. The heated steam kills the eggs so they don't start the cycle over again. I have also used powdered borax sprinkled into the carpet to kill fleas.
We've vacuumed to the point we're surprised there is any carbon fibers left. Having said that I sprayed the whole house last night night with a flea treatment and just vacuumed a short while ago. I've got several flea bombs ready for deployment tomorrow. My bride thinks it's overkill after spraying last night but I' m ready for battle now. I remember flea powder. Haven't used it because there are sprays claiming to do the same thing we've been using. I'll keep the powder in mind going forward. Thanks.

Just happened to see your response so quickly after my last post. Funny how you don't need a prescription in other countries. I'll stop there. Our dogs are to the point we've decided to forgo any future shots for rabies, distemper, etc... But the fleas are another thing. They just look so miserable with the scratching and gnawing. If I was reincarnated as a dog, my wife is the one I would beg to be paired with. Living in the mountains I feel just complicates things. There are seasons up here when you can see the ticks hanging onto blades of grass just waiting for some critter to brush up against it. Do you by chance have any links to the overseas connections for the flea treatments?
A search on google for Bayer Advocate will give you the results. Last time I think we got it from Singapore.

My wife searches for best price.
She ordered from here this time, just yesterday.
They search for best price and will ship from anyplace in the world.

If you look at the "About Us" section on the website they are based in Australia.
We have never had an issue with anything overseas. It's based on dose. One Dose per month, so a 3 dose box is 3 months, 6 dose 6 months ect.

As I said in the past, you need to give the proper dose [er instructions , in the cold of winter we do not give him the med but since you have fleas in your home, I would do it for a full year before considering cutting out for winter.
If you order be careful because on the page is the same product for Cats, make sure to order the one for dogs at the proper weight

Last edited:
We've vacuumed to the point we're surprised there is any carbon fibers left. Having said that I sprayed the whole house last night night with a flea treatment and just vacuumed a short while ago. I've got several flea bombs ready for deployment tomorrow. My bride thinks it's overkill after spraying last night but I' m ready for battle now. I remember flea powder. Haven't used it because there are sprays claiming to do the same thing we've been using. I'll keep the powder in mind going forward.

When i grew up in Louisiana, getting rid of fleas was near impossible. We would use foggers and it would work for a few months but always came back.

Moving to dry heat solved it. Instead there are scorpions. If you have carpet, consider getting rid of it in favor of vinyl planks, tile, or something fleas can’t readily live in.

Get the Raid purple foggers the deep reach ones, the orange cans are better than nothing but they only kill the live ones, the others will kill the eggs and helps break up the life cycle of the flea, it still may take several attempts. Sometimes they can be a real pain to deal with, others all it needs is once and they're gone. Make sure you fog again quick though, again in like 2-3 days if possible.

Basically treat the animals with baths using flea shampoo and get those foggers, there are other solutions which are more or less temporary fixes such as flea spray. There is a flea powder you can use, I think it's borax or something similar and it will dry them up by absorbing the moisture out of them. You shake it around on your carpet and then vacuum it up later.

Get the Raid purple foggers the deep reach ones, the orange cans are better than nothing but they only kill the live ones, the others will kill the eggs and helps break up the life cycle of the flea, it still may take several attempts. Sometimes they can be a real pain to deal with, others all it needs is once and they're gone. Make sure you fog again quick though, again in like 2-3 days if possible.

Basically treat the animals with baths using flea shampoo and get those foggers, there are other solutions which are more or less temporary fixes such as flea spray. There is a flea powder you can use, I think it's borax or something similar and it wsunday. them up by absorbing the moisture out of them. You shake it around on your carpet and then vacuum it up later.
I bought two of those boxes this past Sunday. Was going to set the first three cans off today to follow up on the topical solution I sprayed late Sunday afternoon but we've got company coming today. Looks like Thursday is when I can set them off. Still found a few fleas on the dogs yesterday but I'm thinking that's to be expected until we can break their reproductive cycle cycle. My wife is still vigorously spraying them daily and running all the contact bedding through the dryer on high heat.

Back