GMC/Chevy 2.5 4cyl

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister thinking of buying her daughter a GMC/Chevy Colarado / Canyon pick up truck 4x4 with the 2.5 4 cylindar and she wants to know if this GM 4 cylindar is a good motor? It's normally aspirated rated at 200 hp. I don't know much at all about today's GM 4 cylindar motors?

Also is there an oil recommendation she should consider?

Yes, very good and they now put that engine in the Impala. It might be a little low on power in that application with 4x4. But if the daughter thinks it has enough power then it should be ok. Plus I doubt she'll be towing or plowing with it. I'm guessing the six cylinder will be thousands more.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Yes, very good and they now put that engine in the Impala. It might be a little low on power in that application with 4x4. But if the daughter thinks it has enough power then it should be ok. Plus I doubt she'll be towing or plowing with it. I'm guessing the six cylinder will be thousands more.

I think it's more that her mother wants her to have the 4 cylindar to keep the insurance cost down as well as the cost of the truck down and to be honest it's prob better for her it's a little harder to get in trouble with a 4. She prob won't notice much power difference from the 10 year old Ford Focus I gave her with 200k on it.

I have the same 2.5L in my malibu and its a great engine. Plenty of power and very durable. Not sure how it will do in a small truck but id imagine pretty good.

Good motor but the 4x4 will hurt the gas mileage of the motor. Make sure she trains her on that 4x4 does not help you stop in snow/ice so she does not end up in a ditch thinking 4x4 means go I can go faster.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

I think it's more that her mother wants her to have the 4 cylindar to keep the insurance cost down as well as the cost of the truck down and to be honest it's prob better for her it's a little harder to get in trouble with a 4. She prob won't notice much power difference from the 10 year old Ford Focus I gave her with 200k on it.

An Equinox would be another option. They come with the 2.5 plus awd would be a nice combo. Probably cheaper to buy and own.

How's the low end torque on GM's 2.5?

I haven't driven many DOHC 4's, but I dislike the one's i've driven, for their poor torque characteristics.

Also, would anyone care to speculate how GM's 2.5 compares to Ford's 2.3, in terms of long term reliability/durability?

I have a 2001 Ranger with a 2.5L SOHC engine with close to 200k miles. Amazingly reliable and durable, but at some point I was thinking of getting something newer - hence my interest, and curiosity, with GM's 2.5L.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back