Disabling Honda VCM feature on V6 engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
I am still thinking an engine mount is weak or possibly a spool valve getting clogged or sticking, my money is on a bad rear mount, 1 min driving it and I could tell you mount or not after changing more of them than I care to remember.
Oil to the spool valve can also be restricted at the oil filter mounting pad, most of the time it will throw a P300 with CEL and VSA light also lit but not always. Hey if its running good and smooth leave it in peace and forget the thing even had VCM.

Varnished spool valve.

Deposits in filter mount and block.

Clogged filter screen against new one.

Cleaned parts ready to be reinstalled.

Thanks Trav!
I did look for the rear engine mount and I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right area. Is it easier to see it from underneath the car? I have change the oil in my car since new every 5000 miles using mobil 1 0w 20 and a OEM or NAPA Gold(Wix). Oil always came out really clean and oil analysis showed low insolubles so I'm hoping the engine has no sludge or any parts clogged up. Looking through the oil fill hole All the metal parts are bright and shiny with no signs of varnish at all. Also when changing the oil filter where it screws on is also bright and shiny with no varnish coloring.

Yes its easier to see from underneath. If its nice and clean then you probably have no issues with the spool valve, back to engine mount.
I see these things fairly often for vibration from bad mount(s)and spool valve issues when they get up to around 80-100K give or take. We hear all the time how a little varnish is no problem but on these engines it can be a real catastrophe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Yes its easier to see from underneath. If its nice and clean then you probably have no issues with the spool valve, back to engine mount.
I see these things fairly often for vibration from bad mount(s)and spool valve issues when they get up to around 80-100K give or take. We hear all the time how a little varnish is no problem but on these engines it can be a real catastrophe.

Thanks again Trav!
SO do you think using me Mobil 1 0w20 ever 5,000 miles will keep this engine clean/varnish free in the long run? Is the Mobil 1 0w20 robust enough to last 5,000 and also have enough cleaning power? Should I consider another oil? Cant find my latest UOA but Here is a link to my first few UOAs:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3265521/1

The engine running on all cylinders all the time is going to be helpful in keeping oil temps lower, another benefit of no VCM operation. 5K should be no problem at all, the 20w is ok in this engine. but I prefer a 5w30 in them or if VCM is enabled 0w40 in some of them.
\

Last edited:
Sounds good, Trav-
what is the mileage penalty using this muzzler gizmo? I read a while ago (don't know how true it is)that VCM on Honda (SUV?) or Mini Van yields an 18% highway mpg improvement over equivalent Toyota. Seems a bit much but still...

Any other concerns using it?

No negatives only positives using it, 18% would be a lot but it may be in about that the city under the worst possible conditions, highway is probably more like 10% max.
Okay so it cost a few more bucks in running cost but the long term savings are much greater, less engine wear, engine mounts last multiple times longer, less vibration in the whole vehicle, less wear and tear on the oil and better drivability are definitely worth it IMO.
You wont ever regret doing away with VCM. I repaired one that's gone well over 100K with it disabled and its perfect, no sludge or buildup and perfect drivability, the owner still wonders why it didn't run like this from the factory.

BTW in European countries where fuel is around $8 a gallon AFAIK VCM or 20w oil isn't and never has been offered in a Honda vehicle (GB may use 20w now I don't know).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back