What oil for a foam air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of my toys use a foam air filter. I have been using UNI foam air filter oil. But it dries and disappears after a few weeks.

Any recommendations for an oil that wont dry out and will work?

I always just used motor oil, but then I always reoiled them every week when they were in use. Obviously when they were put away for the season I didn't worry about doing it.

An oil that is extra sticky and stringy is good. I would think a chainsaw bar oil would work well. For lawn mowers, I have always just used just whatever was left from vehicle oil changes. I would drain the containers into a bowl and use that to saturate the foam, then put a lid on it and be ready for the next time. I never saw OIL on/in a foam filter dry out, as oil doesn't evaporate.

I've used Bel-Ray for 40 years or so. Squeeze it in by hand, not the aerosol. Does the job and doesn't evaporate.

For my lawnmower I use Red Line 2-stroke oil. I feel that it was designed to burn without causing trouble in a 2-stroke motor so it would be fine for my 4-stroke Honda because there would always be a tiny amount sucked in especially right after servicing.

It uses so little oil that the more expensive oil is no problem. So far, going on 17 years the Honda mower engine still starts on the 1st pull almost every time.

I have no idea if this is the best way to handle this but it's my mower and I do try to maintain it as best I can. I also use leftover Red Line 0w-30 in the crankcase and change it once a year. I collect the oil after each oil change with my 2 vehicles. I turn the bottles upside down with the nose of the oil bottle stuck inside the opening of a larger bottle. Obsessive I know but it makes the lawnmower oil change free.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
I've used Bel-Ray for 40 years or so. Squeeze it in by hand, not the aerosol. Does the job and doesn't evaporate.

This is good stuff. Super tacky.

I like something that is easy to wash out. I always used 3-in-1 oil. I wonder how easy it is to wash out those "filter charger" sprays made for HVAC filters. The idea is that you spray them onto cheap fiberglass filters and end up with an effectively higher MERV rating. When I used it the filters did load up with dust a lot faster.

Originally Posted By: old1
I never saw OIL on/in a foam filter dry out, as oil doesn't evaporate.

Filter oil has a solvent in it to allow it to spread through the foam, this then evaporates leaving the thicker tackier filter oil. I always try to use a filter oil for motorcycle foam filters, for lawnmowers it's too thick, and engine oil works best. I have used NoToil, but in my real world, I clean up messy filter changes in the parts washer, and that doesn't work with NoToil, you have to use some water based cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back