BMW 3 series reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to replace my T-bird (not for any mechanical reason, but rust, very unfortunately). Unbelievable how reliable and still well running that car is.
I don't care for it so much anymore and it sees the 5K+ rev limiter a few times a day. Probably one day I'll grenade that 4R70W, it is pushing 250K.
I switch to PP Ultra HM 5W30, have to update it.

Anyway getting another one around here without rust is out of the question, so I'm thinking of a 3 series coupe (maybe 07-11) with X drive. I tried some and they aren't bad. I know there are two types of V6 engines.
I read some people have great luck wth them but others say they are nightmares. Guess you can say the same about any car. My friend has a 07 Corolla with plenty of issues under 100K, but most are inexpensive fixes.
Any experience with BMW?

Last edited:
Not only are there more issues on average they are more costly and some require special tools on top of that.

If you want reliability do not buy a used European car. And only buy new with the intention to sell before the warranty is up.

There are zero types of V6 engines.

The 328i has the N52B30 and it will have oil leaks. Valve cover gasket, vacuum motor gasket, oil filter housing gasket, oil pan gasket, and Valvetronic motor gasket. I have seen loose and/or broken head studs in the front, easy fix. Some of them tap at idle but it is just a noise, no damage being done. Weirdest thing they are known for (RARE) is oil creep from the cam eccentric sensor. Oil can creep through the sensor, up the wiring harness, and fry the DME. Easy to check on pre-purchase.

The 335i has the M54B30 (later cars had the N55) and you will have similar oil leaks, but you may also have issues with the wastegate actuators, high pressure fuel pump, and fuel injectors as an added bonus. These go faster if you're modded, some people have no issues at all.

I would look at 2011+ years. They got the updated navigation and some nicer features with it.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Not only are there more issues on average they are more costly and some require special tools on top of that.

If you want reliability do not buy a used European car. And only buy new with the intention to sell before the warranty is up.

Or, buy the car you like and go into the purchase well aware of what you're getting into. Fear mongering. At least I provided some real information in my post.

Thanks for the summary info. Will be doing more research, but it surely isn't simple like Ford modular powertrain.

Probably depends upon the BMW.
I can tell you that the e36 four cylinder I bought as a good weather daily driver in 2010 has been a model of trouble free daily driver reliability in the 60K or so I've driven it.
I've had to give it a battery and the large tube that runs from the throttle body to the intake manifold in the time I've had it and I replaced the tires it came on about a thousand miles ago. Other than fluid changes, I've done nothing else to it.
The old dear has been as reliable and trouble free as any Honda we've owned, and that's saying something.
BMWs get a bit of a bum rap for being troublesome and expensive to maintain and repair.
Some are, but most aren't.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Probably depends upon the BMW.
I can tell you that the e36 four cylinder I bought as a good weather daily driver in 2010 has been a model of trouble free daily driver reliability in the 60K or so I've driven it.
I've had to give it a battery and the large tube that runs from the throttle body to the intake manifold in the time I've had it and I replaced the tires it came on about a thousand miles ago. Other than fluid changes, I've done nothing else to it.
The old dear has been as reliable and trouble free as any Honda we've owned, and that's saying something.
BMWs get a bit of a bum rap for being troublesome and expensive to maintain and repair.
Some are, but most aren't.

The BMW don't look worse to me than an Explorer from a similar year, many of those have quirks like broken exhaust studs, and 4.6L 3V problems.

If it is un modded and well maintained I wouldn't hesitate. There will be maintenance, it's not a Chrysler product though so don't be that stressed.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy
I'm thinking of a 3 series coupe (maybe 07-11) with X drive. I tried some and they aren't bad.

If they "aren't bad," you're not driving them hard enough.
wink.gif
Push them hard, and they're utterly brilliant.

I know there are two types of V6 engines.

(Inline-6, not V6)

The 328i is naturally aspirated with 230hp and port injection. Very mature tech, especially in the later model years. Excellent engine; I happen to think it's the last great engine BMW ever made.

The 335i is turbocharged, has >300 hp and direct injection, and breaks all the time. Avoid it like the plague.

I read some people have great luck wth them but others say they are nightmares. Guess you can say the same about any car.

You can, but it's more true with these cars.

If you get one that's had a hard life and you don't maintain it proactively, expect a lot of pain. It might be fine, or it might bite you hard.

If you get one that's been treated well and you maintain it proactively... it'll still cost more than other cars per mile, but it'll treat you well.

Either way, if you get an automatic, expect a failure between 100k and 150k miles.

That said... even when busted, it'll still drive better than almost anything on the road. That counts for a lot.

We saw at least 2 a month that needed engines when i had the shop stay away from them if you get it for free take it and sell it because there is no such thing as a free later model BMW... Your Ford is a great vehicle a BMW makes people say WOW when they get the repair bill.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
What about the entire cooling system replacement stuff?

That was an issue for the E36 and E46. OP was asking about '07-'11, which was the E9x; AFAIK it's not as big a deal on those.

Those are awesome cars, and working on them yourself versus paying a shop will save you huge money.

They are fairly easy cars to DIY if you have the right tools, and the tools aren't that expensive on amazon or ebay. For example, an oil change is $150 or so at the dealer. I bought the oil filter socket tool on amazon for $6, and the Castrol 0w40 and filter can be had at Walmart for under $50. My friend has a 2006 325XI. The thing is unstoppable in snow with just all seasons. I imagine it would be better with snow tires.

That platform is known as the "e90" and was made from 2006-2011. The 2009-2011 are slightly updated and are a bit more reliable. Maintenance is key with these. You want to find one with service records. They require a bit more maintenance than a Toyota, but are rewarding to drive. I did a road trip in my friend's '06 and it was a very nice driving car for the 7 hours I drove. The body is also fairly rust proof and the paint seems durable.

The 2009-2011 328 has less moving parts than the 335. The 335 has the same basic 3.0L inline 6 but with twin turbos and direct injection. More power, but also more to go wrong. A common issue is the electric water pump which fails around 70-80k miles. It is usually a good idea to do the thermostat as well since it is right behind it. I bought the entire kit from a site called ECS Tuning which came with the new waterpump, thermostat, new aluminum bolts, and BMW coolant for $375. The job costs $800 or so at a shop. Besides the water pump, a battery, and a few tires the car has been fairly reliable for 102k miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
That platform is known as the "e90" and was made from 2006-2011.

Slight correction:

E90 = Sedan
E91 = Wagon
E92 = Coupe
E93 = Convertible

Have 170,000 miles on my 07 335i. I can't say it's been ultra reliable, but it's fairly typical for a euro car.

I've changed control arms, fuel injectors, radiator, tires, shocks, knock sensors, and a few other things. I drive it to Chicago every other week, 800 miles round trip. Truly a great car for crossing Wisconsin at ultra-legal speeds.

I've been stranded twice by bad injectors. But both times, they gave me 3-4 days' warning by having a nasty cold start. I ignored it both times and the result was injectors hanging wide open, creating the most interesting white cloud of raw fuel vapor you can imagine. The first three failed at various points up to about 130,000 miles; I just replaced the last three at 168,000.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably buy a Focus ST.

Last edited:
My Neighbor Currently has a 2003 328xi up for sale. something like $4500, 150k mi.

was his wife's DD for years, ~100 mi commute (each way), last summer sent it to CO with his son to college.

this spring it comes home on a trailer. Kid ran it OUT of oil. he gave Jr about $2k, tells him that if he's gonna treat the car like a cheap junker, and not take care of it, then that's what he should buy, and to not expect another bailout.

he then rebuilt the engine himself before putting it up for sale.

there was an ad on craigslist, but it has since expired,while he's laid up from prostate cancer surgery...(car still in driveway with for sale sign)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back