bmw problem with ignition

I went to 2 specialized bmw repair service shops and dealerships again and I didn't get anything. the consumption is ok, I don't have any engine lights on bc , the spark plugs are good.

the symptoms: 2 days after I received the car with the new injectors. i start the car cold in the morning. everything working ok.I drive 8-10 kilometers. I leave it and go. f.ex. for shopping for about 30'. I get in the car, I start ignition and it takes about 6" to ignite ,sometimes it does not and i need a second one to get ignition. I have this issue. But every morning when I leave with start is normal.

also because I have always disabled the start-stop, I said to activate it to see if it will start at once. and it does. but only when it has done a short distance it gets cold and after 20-30' and more, it doesn't start. only then. mystery.

I checked this symptom for 2 months to 4 service shops and they found out nothing. 2 specialized - one general and 1 official. and I also asked one more official dealership service, whose advisor told me that there is a 3 series which has the same symptoms and can't get a diagnosis for 3 years!

what's your opinion?

My guess is that it's a problem with fuel pressure. Typically the fuel system will pressurize itself when you unlock the door after the vehicle has been sitting. You can hear the pump running. Once the vehicle is warm the fuel pump only builds pressure when you attempt to start the car. Assuming you paid and received brand new injectors I'm going to guess it has something to do with your fuel pressure sensor or hpfp

Try BMWTech on Reddit or a variety of BMW centric forums.

Last edited:
To confirm if ignition or fuel related, have a can of starting fluid ready. When it does it, spray some in the intake to see if it will fire. If it does then you know it's fuel related.

Surely does sound fuel pressure related. I have a 2012 Porsche Panamera in my shop now - symptoms like what you are having....takes forever to start after sitting any longer than a few hours. The issue in this case is the high pressure pump (leaking pressure and fuel back to tank)and it costs $1700 just for the pump.

Are new injectors OE, or was something upgraded?
Are coils changed?
Are there any codes, hidden codes? Try changing coils between cylinders.
was my 1first thought. i had them changed 10 years ago with a new part not bosch as a recall. but never had a problem with them like most of the bmw owners did. even with the old ones. think that bad injectors harmed them?

injectors were changed in the official dealership with brand new as they claim.because of the convid era ,factories had less personnel and demand was rising through all these years ,due to fault injectors of this engine, many owners waited for months , supply was less and bmw europe had a good will campaign to please them all and changed injectors for free if you have some services in the dealership trhough the years or you pay some of the cost of the new ones if you had a few visits.the only sure thing is that you pay for labour .200 euros that is.

there were no codes . not on bc. not on service computer. what hidden codes? what do you mean?

Last edited:
To confirm if ignition or fuel related, have a can of starting fluid ready. When it does it, spray some in the intake to see if it will fire. If it does then you know it's fuel related.
i definitely wont that myself :) .i am not that skilled.but i will suggest it to the new mechanic i will visit. thanks for the help

Surely does sound fuel pressure related. I have a 2012 Porsche Panamera in my shop now - symptoms like what you are having....takes forever to start after sitting any longer than a few hours. The issue in this case is the high pressure pump (leaking pressure and fuel back to tank)and it costs $1700 just for the pump.
My guess is that it's a problem with fuel pressure. Typically the fuel system will pressurize itself when you unlock the door after the vehicle has been sitting. You can hear the pump running. Once the vehicle is warm the fuel pump only builds pressure when you attempt to start the car. Assuming you paid and received brand new injectors I'm going to guess it has something to do with your fuel pressure sensor or hpfp

Try BMWTech on Reddit or a variety of BMW centric forums.
most of the people i asked confirm that is probably HPFP. its probably bosch so from a research costs around 500 euros .

does the fault part has anything to do with the band combustion from bad injectors and ruined it? i realise that its well known problematic part for this engine as is the whole fuel system design but was working fine before ,never had a problem like others did from the very first miles .

most of the people i asked confirm that is probably HPFP. its probably bosch so from a research costs around 500 euros .

does the fault part has anything to do with the band combustion from bad injectors and ruined it? i realise that its well known problematic part for this engine as is the whole fuel system design but was working fine before ,never had a problem like others did from the very first miles .
Ah I forgot that is DI. Yep, HPFP could be an issue. We don’t have that engine here so didn’t occur to me.
Hidden code? If you hook up real BMW OBD, it can read codes that won’t trigger CEL or show up on BC.

here is the story:
2 months ago.
Thursday noon i receive my car with new replaced injectors..everything fine.going home and rest.afternoon when i started ignition,engine light showed up on bc .

go next morning to service, connect the OBD and they diagnosed that the engine light was from NOX and L sensor. i told them that happened again before ,when i replaced them back then , 6 years ago and after i drove some miles its gone. ok, do the same again ,they said. so i did.

next morning 2 days after the injector replace , i am going to start the car and the ignition problem started. anyway i went for the ride, with 2-3rd gear on the box i extended rpms for some miles and engine light was gone of the board. but the ignition problem stayed. so for 2 months since that morning i have that problem until today and no problem solved.

i gather some from you and other people :

1. maf
2. L sensor
3. ignition coils between cylinders
4. high pressure pump
5. low pressure pump
6. fuel pressure sensor
7. coolant temperature sensor (ECT) - Bjornviken
8. bad flood because injectors and coils are placed bad?
9. NOX sensor

what do you think? i am trying to find a good mechanic to check all this

Last edited:
i forgot to mention the whole story:
before i had bad iddle ,tremble when accelerating but no engine lights .then one day suddenly i could not start engine. road help and moved to the garage.2 mechanics told me that their OBD showed injectors failing .there were no engine lights for the injectors..

one of them was dealership service where they suggested the good will. these engine lights -NOX and L showed up on my bc only after injectors were replaced not before.before injectors serviced there was not an engine light at all. i will have my injectors tested again to the new mechanic to tell me if they are new and not used or jerked =that the problem was something else. i don't trust dealership service ,but i don't think they did such a big fraud, bmw europe will kick their ass if i find out i am jerked.

the strange thing is i have no symptom when floor accelerating and when i use start - stop its normal.

1. maf
2. L sensor
4. high pressure pump
5. low pressure pump
6. fuel pressure sensor
9. NOX sensor
10.injectors sensor
11.fuel float

catalog is getting longer.

here is the story:
2 months ago.
Thursday noon i receive my car with new replaced injectors..everything fine.going home and rest.afternoon when i started ignition,engine light showed up on bc .

go next morning to service, connect the OBD and they diagnosed that the engine light was from NOX and L sensor. i told them that happened again before ,when i replaced them back then , 6 years ago and after i drove some miles its gone. ok, do the same again ,they said. so i did.

next morning 2 days after the injector replace , i am going to start the car and the ignition problem started. anyway i went for the ride, with 2-3rd gear on the box i extended rpms for some miles and engine light was gone of the board. but the ignition problem stayed. so for 2 months since that morning i have that problem until today and no problem solved.

i gather some from you and other people :

1. maf
2. L sensor
4. high pressure pump
5. low pressure pump
6. fuel pressure sensor
9. NOX sensor

what do you think? i am trying to find a good mechanic to check all this
Find a mechanic that owns a car like yours?

You need a code reader. If you have an old laptop go to a BMW forum and download pirated copy of ISTA dealer diagnostic software. There are some phone apps which can read BMW codes as well.
I use the smart phone app "OBD Fusion" (with a small OBD dongle) on my BMW. It has all kinds of functionality.

Back