Castrol Edge EP vs Mobil 1 EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am new to this forum. I have been using Mobil 1 EP (5w30) with Mobil 1 EP filter, in my 2003 Toyota 4Runner. 211,000 miles, 7,500 OCI. It has a 4.7L V8 engine. I drive 50 miles round trip per day, majority is highway driving but in slow traffic in the Southeast USA.

I am considering switching to Castrol Edge EP (but still using the Mobil 1 filter) since it is currently $3 cheaper per 5 quart bottle. What are the differences between the two if any?

Thanks,

David

I recently switched my Camry from Mobil1 to Castrol EP and the difference on start up is noticeable, but isn't major. You really can go wrong with either. M1 has the promo going right now.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Have a look.

PQIA spotlight on 5w-30 synthetics

Neither oil he mentioned is on that list.. I don't think PQIA tests EP oils..

Understood, but doesn't it at least give insight into the difference in additive packs? Mg vs Ca etc. I guess search for VOAs on the two then...

Apples and Apples. May need something more drastic.
Like a MB spec LL. I was more impressed over with the Magnetec than the edge - but for normal intervals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dorian
I recently switched my Camry from Mobil1 to Castrol EP and the difference on start up is noticeable, but isn't major. ...

Crank speed or noise?
Personally, I find them both rackety.

Magnetec & QSGB seem to be the quietest, Fwiw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back