Cassette radio question

Status
Not open for further replies.

The OEM AM/FM cassette in my 86 T Type will not play cassettes as it spits them out as soon as I put them in. Is a mechanism stuck or is the eject controlled by a band that broke?

Could be a broken belt, if it doesn't see both reels moving it will eject the tape. I assume you're trying to play a real tape and not one of those adapters that you plug your phone into?

In my case an inserted tape would hit an angled piece of plastic which would go down and disconnect the eject hardware.

Indeed it was a disconnector. It wore and fell out of position.

Pushing the tape in simply pushed it against the "spring power" which would eject it under normal circumstances.

Replacing the "radio/tape player" in my 1977 Toyota Celica GT Liftback; California GT was my introduction into the world of dealing with car toys .

I resented it but I dealt with it like a trooper---a kicking and screaming trooper you'd be ashamed to know.

I HATE toys when they break, effect the value of my car and thrust me into grown up toy stores.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Could be a broken belt, if it doesn't see both reels moving it will eject the tape. I assume you're trying to play a real tape and not one of those adapters that you plug your phone into?

No adapter, regular cassette inserted that spits out. Tried holding it in with no luck.

30 year old cassette player? My money is on a broken belt. My 16 year old car has a cassette player with a broken belt. I took the radio out and tried to get at the belt, but it was buried deep inside. I abandon the effort, lest I break the radio. At least the radio also has a CD player.

My 87 GN has the Concert Sound system with the AM/FM Cassette, It did the same thing and the reverse button stayed pressed in. i had it fixed at a local radio repair place. This was back around 1998-99 and cost about $40. There are still places that refurb them for reasonable cost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
My 87 GN has the Concert Sound system with the AM/FM Cassette, It did the same thing and the reverse button stayed pressed in. i had it fixed at a local radio repair place. This was back around 1998-99 and cost about $40. There are still places that refurb them for reasonable cost.

Ordered a new Pioneer unit yesterday. Will take out old install new and get old repaired ASAP.

Originally Posted By: 007

Ordered a new Pioneer unit yesterday. Will take out old install new and get old repaired ASAP.

Not a bad idea and you will have a CD player and more modern unit. Just use an adapter harness for a plug and play set up that required not cutting of wires and you can return to stock easily.

You could get a CD/tape unit from a newer Buick or other GM car
smile.gif

Not a bad idea and you will have a CD player and more modern unit. Just use an adapter harness for a plug and play set up that required not cutting of wires and you can return to stock easily.

Odered the unit from Crutcfield so I would get the necessary harness and dash adapter.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Which one? I am quite happy with my Pioneer 6800BS unit.

Same one.
Found a different dash adapter online for about $9.00 that gives you a small storage place under the radio rather than the solid type Crutchfield provides.

Last edited:

Do you do the swap yourself? If so was it easy??

Either my old head unit really needs repair or the newer unit is really good. Sound difference is amazing and now I have Bluetooth in a 86 car.

Either my old head unit really needs repair or the newer unit is really good. Sound difference is amazing and now I have Bluetooth in a 86 car.

Modern mid price head units often sound better than premium head units from the 1980s.

I read that this even applied to the 1980s Nissan Z cars, which had some of the most advanced head units of their time.

Even the cheapest new head unit will sound better than any stock head unit from 1986.

If you really want it to sound nice, get some aftermarket speakers too. With most cars, Crutchfield will send you adapter harnesses with any speaker purchase, but you can also buy them separate or make your own. I bet an '86 Regal uses a common size of speaker. Lots of factory speaker cones are made out of what is basically cardboard, and they probably aren't in the best of shape in an '86 if they are factory.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Even the cheapest new head unit will sound better than any stock head unit from 1986.

If you really want it to sound nice, get some aftermarket speakers too. With most cars, Crutchfield will send you adapter harnesses with any speaker purchase, but you can also buy them separate or make your own. I bet an '86 Regal uses a common size of speaker. Lots of factory speaker cones are made out of what is basically cardboard, and they probably aren't in the best of shape in an '86 if they are factory.

Still going to get the original unit repaired if the price is right as they go for $200 and up used and will sell with the car when and if the time comes. As far as the speakers go I already replaced the rears and have new door ones to go in next.

Which one? I am quite happy with my Pioneer 6800BS unit.

Do you still like your unit. I must be getting old as I am having issues with setting mine up properly.

What are the problems? May be I might be able to help. I am happy with mine. It should connect to my phone little faster to make me happier but I can live with that.

What are the problems? May be I might be able to help. I am happy with mine. It should connect to my phone little faster to make me happier but I can live with that.

No problems per say with radio itself just my lack of patience in setting up stations, balance, clock etc. Phone is connected but automatically connects on 3 rings, need to fix that in case I do not want to except the call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back