Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Ray Garlington:
Not raggin' on you or anything, but this thread is really misnamed. These guys are all day traders. So it should really be "Traders....come in please".

But... I'll add one thing about long-haul investing. You can reduce the business risk associated with investing by buying the market (or a subset of the market if you think you can predict the future of a market segment). This can also reduce expenses and headaches.

Umm I'm anything but a day trader, My portfolio turns over maybe 1 year to 18 months or even longer. As long as the stock has good prospects or is still doing good I'll hold it.

Now on the other hand, I've had a few that appreciated 40-60% in less than a year. Pulled out my profit and placed it else that is poised to grow.

You hold on to some stocks too long and they just sit there. Also you have 300-400% return and watched it go all the way back to 0 you will be just like all those whiners in 2000 that paid $100/share for companies like LU, CIEN, GLW, SUNW etc....

I've got a good mix of tech growth, and long term dividend paying value stocks. The key is to be diversified.

(and a little day trading can be fun too.
lol.gif
)

I just don't have time to watch it.
pat.gif

I will admit I am BOTH.

I have some cash (in my IRA) that I day trade with and I have a lot of other dough in "real investments" in my 401K and IRA.

That said, I rarely day trade stocks I wouldn't mind owning for awhile.

I don't have the nerves to day-trade, but I do like to trade the swings in the market using technical analysis.

There was a time when buy-and-hold stratagies worked very well, but it seems like it's different these days. With the threats of terrorism and world events affecting the markets so much, it takes quick reflexes to react. No doubt about it, it's a tough game in today's markets.....

If you are in this for the long haul,not overnight get rich stuff,consider the everyday companies.People many times want to invest but are not sure what to go with or what is a good risk.Tupperware,Pepsi and Coca-Cola are just the beginning of every day things that people use and that are going to be here next week.Look at all of the products that you buy when grocery shopping and when buying household cleaning supplies,these are all potential investments.They may not give quick returns or high dividends but if you want good solid long term investments,it would be hard to go wrong with this kind of stock.People keep wanting to invest in computers and electronics and the information industries,while these may be ok,they can also go broke over night.Solid long term investments are the safest way to go.If a person wants,they can still pick the higher risk,higher return stocks,just do so in a careful and cautious way while still having the solid stocks as the true long term investments.

I just bailed out of LU; it's showing a trend slowing. If it closes lower today, that'll show a short-term trend reversal. In today's environment, markets rarely close higher before a three-day weekend, and I figure LU will follow suit.

It'll be ready to buy back in a week or so; the moves seem to be very dramatic in LU.....

I've owned LU and MOBL since May 03. I owned SUNW 'till Jan 04. I would like to stick with decent stocks, but would also like to take advantage of swings in the markets which such stocks.
You guys obviously know more about stocks than I do and I don't have the capital you guy$ have. I started investing as a means of increasing my small fortune and to gain experience. I started with $500, then invested another $1k, then another $1k and another. With all the fees included, I have about $3600 invested into the markets.....that money has grown to about $4100. Now, I realize this is a drop in Pablo'$ bucket
wink.gif
, but for me it ain't no joke!
nono.gif

I'm looking forward to the long term potential of my stocks and since this stuff is so addictive, I can see myself putting more money into it!

In a way I'm proud of this thread, that I started a few months back.....it has slowly but surely become a wealth of information and knowledge. My only wish is that it lasts a lot longer and that other knowledgeable investors/traders add to the database of info.
patriot.gif

I almost sold Lu today. But I like what the management team is doing. I think they may head for 5.

VASO is still in purchasing teritory. I'm proud to say I own 20,000 shares. So small moves mean some money.

This thread IS good. Pretty much a BLOG.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
I almost sold Lu today. But I like what the management team is doing. I think they may head for 5.

VASO is still in purchasing teritory. I'm proud to say I own 20,000 shares. So small moves mean some money.

This thread IS good. Pretty much a BLOG.

P,
I hope someone in the upper room hear you about LU going all the way to $5.
grin.gif

As for 20k shares of VASO.....forget my money being a drop in your buckett.....more like a tiny dropplet.

Something I've meant to ask for a while is.....could someone raise the price of a stock by simply buying massive amounts of it and then dumping it to collect the profits? Could that person do that over and over? What drives share prices up besides deals closed and earnings along with fundamentals?

Forgive my ignorance.
cool.gif

Thanks

Z, stock manipulation happens often with stocks that have very few shares available for trade (small float) and a market maker that owns most of them.

One typical stock like this is NTES. There are many more. LU would not fall into this category as it was spun off of AT&T and is widely held.

A massive buy or sell will change the price. Be it one person or many.

But to slowly bleed into that is difficult....because the price can just as easily go either way for many "other" reasons that effect the amount of buying and selling...

If you can think of it, it's been tried!

Thanks guys!

P,
I'm not attempting to do anything here.....I'm not as rich as you!
grin.gif

VASO is sort of interesting. It's been beaten down into the ground since ~Jan 00. It closed at $1.12 today, which is perfect for my very limited capital. The fundamentals sort of stink though (according to MSN Money), so it is obviously risky.....but interesting.
I wonder if I could convince the wife to let me invest yet another $1k?
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

Last Z wrote:

quote:

VASO is sort of interesting. It's been beaten down into the ground since ~Jan 00. It closed at $1.12 today, which is perfect for my very limited capital. The fundamentals sort of stink though (according to MSN Money), so it is obviously risky.....but interesting.
I wonder if I could convince the wife to let me invest yet another $1k

1) I ain't rich. I just started my 401K a long time back.
2) An investament like this should NOT represent any significany % of your assets.
3) VASO closed at $1.16 (the low for yesterday - high was 1.27). (Trust me) if you could have bought at 1.12, then I would gooble up a bunch.
4) The books do stink a bit, but the concept is sound. They just have to battle the Dr./drug company cartel
smile.gif

5) Yes I feel for the folks that bought 2 years, 3 years + back. But I sell into the $1.5 -$2 blips over the long and buy in conditions as today. I'm not bragging but last go around I bought some shares under $1 in the fall and sold on Jan 12 and 13, 2004.
6) I don't read MSN monay. Should I?
smile.gif

Have a great Holiday weekend!

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Last Z wrote:

quote:

I wonder if I could convince the wife to let me invest yet another $1k

1) I ain't rich. I just started my 401K a long time back.
2) An investament like this should NOT represent any significany % of your assets.
3) VASO closed at $1.16 (the low for yesterday - high was 1.27). (Trust me) if you could have bought at 1.12, then I would gooble up a bunch.
4) The books do stink a bit, but the concept is sound. They just have to battle the Dr./drug company cartel
smile.gif

5) Yes I feel for the folks that bought 2 years, 3 years + back. But I sell into the $1.5 -$2 blips over the long and buy in conditions as today. I'm not bragging but last go around I bought some shares under $1 in the fall and sold on Jan 12 and 13, 2004.
6) I don't read MSN monay. Should I?
smile.gif

Have a great Holiday weekend!

P,
I'm still way below the 50% mark of my capital as far as investing goes.
I do most of my research from MSN Money......they have the same info everybody does as far as charts and fundamentals. I don't pay attention to their recommendations though.

Dang man don't make me re-read my typo filled writing
pat.gif
....I'm a typing fool...as in I type like an untutored maniac....(true enough)

I'll see MSN...just because I'll read anything B=bus. related !?!

Put a sell order in for VASO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT...as it approached my limit price...it backed off and fell....ah crap.

I didn' sell.

[ June 02, 2004, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

Closed all red today.
LU stuck in second gear
frown.gif

VIGN stock in reverse!
banghead.gif

MOBL moving south...slowly!
thumbsdown.gif

Guys, there's a saying that goes: "Sell in May and then go away!". It means that the market is generally flat to down during the summer. The reason is so many people are on vacation and the buying drys up. It's hard to make money in this environment.....

There's another saying: "Three steps and a stumble", meaning it takes 3 Fed rate increases to kill the market. Since we have yet to get the first one, maybe there's still a little time yet to make some bucks.......

That's all of my homilies for tonight.
grin.gif

Goodnight.
sleeping.gif

A wise man once told me:

"Listen to the LoneRanger and you'll make a buck!"
grin.gif

I do agree with you though. There are a few things conspiring against the markets these day.....instability in the middle east (especially Saudi), The Feds threatening a hike on interest rates and an election year. I think after November and after the Feds finally raise the rates, the markets will begin to creep up a bit.
Buy now and smile later!
grin.gif

I NEVER count out the undulating market. There is upside in selected issues and there are rally days. You have to keep one foot in. You can't have all your money at home, in real estate, in gold, in cars, in the BANK, or in bonds....

*** is with MOBL????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back