pennzoil ultra-platinum, higher VI higher & noack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultra looks better than Ultra Platinum. NOACK goes from 5.0 to 10.5. But still, 10.5 is a pretty good NOACK for a 20 weight. I'm hoping that their 30-weight doesn't go the same way, though.

I was getting the impression that Platinum would be changing formulas significantly and Ultra would just get a name change basically. Looks like that's not the actualy case.

Here is a link to the 5W-30 info.

Looks like it's NOACK #'s are also higher than the old formula. Guess SOPUS had to cut a corner somewhere because it looks like the new PUP is going to be dexos1 certified. Got to pay GM the fee somehow.

PUP 5W-30 TDS

Last edited:
And finally a more detailed TDS version of the 0w-40 Ultra SRT:
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_GTD...28en%29_TDS.pdf

For a while, we've been wondering whether this oil could potentially meet some of the Euro specs like M1 0w-40 does. And now we know that it couldn't, based on its Noack of 13%.
shocked2.gif

Disappointing, at least on the surface. On paper, 5w/20 Ultra Platinum seems no better than Platinum and inferior to the old Ultra.

Pus the Noack issue is confounding. If we believe the recent PQIA tests of conventional Pennzoil 5w/20, the cheaper the oil, the lower the Noack in SOPUS-land. Truly the world turned upside down. Realizing Noack is only one measure, I don't think it was unreasonable to associate low Noack with high quality base stocks.

May be time to stock up on old Ultra...

BOOOOO!!! This is terrible from Pennzoil. The Ultra 5W20 was an amazing oil. They ruined it!

I must say though, the PUP does show some pretty good numbers in the CCS and MRV tests, despite the lackluster NOACK.

I think those specs are probably more important to more people in the real world than low NOACK.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I must say though, the PUP does show some pretty good numbers in the CCS and MRV tests, despite the lackluster NOACK.

I think those specs are probably more important to more people in the real world than low NOACK.

Maybe, but even on this measure, PUP is the about same as/inferior to Platinum.

It also says follow the OEM recommended drain interval. I guess that answers the question if they market this for extended drains....

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
It also says follow the OEM recommended drain interval. I guess that answers the question if they market this for extended drains....

Yep. It does.
Stock up on old ultra while you can. It should be getting cleared out at rock bottom prices.
Looks like M1 and Castrol rule the extended drain market.

Well, if your car's manufacturer recommends extended drains, then PUP supports it.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Yep. It does.
Stock up on old ultra while you can. It should be getting cleared out at rock bottom prices.

What about QSUD, is that changing formulation as well? It's about $5/quart at Walmart and has a NOACK of 8.8?
I mean is that stuff going to be better then it's pennzoil counterparts?

Originally Posted By: sopususer

Looks like it's NOACK #'s are also higher than the old formula. Guess SOPUS had to cut a corner somewhere because it looks like the new PUP is going to be dexos1 certified. Got to pay GM the fee somehow.

PUP 5W-30 TDS

Since now SOPUS is paying DEXOS royalties. I will no longer buy Ultra.

Originally Posted By: sopususer

PUP 5W-30 TDS

Bummer. Looks like SOPUS is trading off low NOACK for high VI and cold flow properties. I was thinking that Platinum Ultra was just going to be Ultra rebadged. Time to go stock up on old Ultra.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Yep. It does.

What about QSUD, is that changing formulation as well? It's about $5/quart at Walmart and has a NOACK of 8.8?
I mean is that stuff going to be better then it's pennzoil counterparts?

Where did you see a Noack for QSUD that low? The published TDS for 5w/20 is 14%.

More changes without new specs. to meet from Pennzoil....who knows.....
Didn't the original PP come out as a Group V and soon changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back