Franken Brew VOA, w/ TBA &TAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
So over the last year or so, i've been saving the leftover .5Qts from each Oil Change,(Both Cars take 4.5qts) and Mixing them in a jug for future use
(aka "FREE" oil change!!!) well i finally hit 4.5 qts in the franken jug, so out of curiosity(see what i actually have), and for S's & G's, I sent it in for a VOA, w/TBN & TAN (wanted to cover my bases)
Mixture goes as Follows:
Approx .5 qt ea. of:
Nextgen Maxlife 5w20
PYB 5w30
Formula Shell 5w30
PYB 5w20
Mobil Super 5000 5w30
Eco-Power Synblend 5w20
Meijer 5w30
Formula Shell 5w20
Nextgen Conv. 5w30
Mobil Super 5000 5w20

Franken-Brew.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. You've got a heckuva brew going there. I know that most knowledgeable members suggest against mixing brands because an oil is formulated to have a balanced additive package and mixing can throw off the balance so the finished brew may lack in how it performs the various functions required of it however I saw a frankenbrew used oil analysis posted not long ago that was remarkable due to the very low wear metals and all indications were that the brew performed admirably and iirc the wear numbers were lower than other examples that were consistent with brand and grade.
Not that I'm advocating running a frankenbrew because it will lower wear I just thought it was an interesting result.
What are you planning to run the brew in and for how long? Are you planning to do a used oil analysis afterwards?

Would you mind doing UOA after this in the engine for 5K, 7.5K, 10K ?

I think this VOA is good for baseline, but the key about Frankenbrew is whether the additive used up progressively after the oil is in operation. So far my frankenbrew most of the time does not show good endurance (based on dipstick check &butt and ear test on start up and hot weather).

the plan is to use it in whichever car is due next, and run it my normal 5k/6mo WCF interval.

just to re-iterate, this was not an experiment to make my own custom blend, just using up the leftovers in a "fun" way.

Not as much of a Franken Brew as you might think.
10 oils but only 6 different brands and all are OTC 5W-20/30 mineral oils for the most part.

The end result is a heavy dino 5W-20 likely with a HTHSV of about 2.8cP with a pretty decent add' pack'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back