AutoZone Fires Worker Who Stopped Robbery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: itguy08

Getting guns out of criminal's hands is important, as is putting guns in law abiding citizen's hands.

We are in violent agreement... So long as those law-abiding citizens arent just law abiding but also competent and not inclined to use them to try and teach their version of "a lesson" at will.

But this topic is not about gun laws, it is about corporate policy to get the best outcome for the personnel and shoppers in their store.

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
Also, ANYONE who uses the terms John Wayne types, shoot-em-up types is NOT pro-CCW....take your [censored] elsewhere. If you really want statistices, stay in NJ....you may become one.

Typical. Cant back your basis up with anything but rhetoric. Just proves my point.

Quote:
Crime rates vary greatly across the states. Overall, New England had the lowest crime rates, for both violent and property crimes. New England states also had the lowest homicide rates in the country.

A closer look at per capita homicide rates for each state from FBI Uniform Crime Reports Bureau of Justice Statistics indicate that Louisiana's per capita homicide rate has ranked 1st every single year from 1989 to 2010, which is 22 consecutive years.

Southern states had the highest overall crime rates. Crime can also be isolated to one particular part of a state. Lafayette, Louisiana, for instance had 6 murders per 100,000 people in 2004, while New Orleans, Louisiana, had 56 murders per 100,000 people according to Bureau of Justice Statistics for the same year.[52]

Almost all of the nation's wealthiest twenty states, which included northern mid-western and western states such as Minnesota and California, had crime rates below the national average. In addition to having the country's lowest crime rates, New England states also had the country's highest median household income, while the Southern states have the lowest.

This contrasts starkly to some of the nation's poorer states such as Florida or Louisiana. Louisiana had a crime rate 27% and a homicide rate 130.9% above the national average and ranked as the nation's fourth poorest state with a median household income 20% below the national median. While poorer states generally have higher crime rates, several states who fell below the national median for household income such as Maine and Kentucky also had crime rates below the national average, while some wealthier states such as Maryland had crime rates above the national average

How does this align to armament and rules and regulations?

If you really want statistices, stay in NJ....you may become one.

By the numbers, Im a bit safer in NJ than in PA.

1000px-US_Violent_Crime_2004.svg.png

Map of violent crime per 100,000 people in the USA by state in 2004.

From here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States

Here's my take on the topic in a nut shell:

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Here in Wisconsin, we recently just became a CCW state and I the amount of applications for a permit were overwhelming. Heck, I'm much less likely now to lip off to someone in traffic if they do something stupid, because now I have no idea if they have a weapon in the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
How does this align to armament and rules and regulations?

Fleetmon said:
If you really want statistices, stay in NJ....you may become one.

By the numbers, Im a bit safer in NJ than in PA.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Look at the UK - they have no carry laws and it's extremely hard to own a gun there. Yet criminals have guns and they have a violent crime problem.

That is simply not true. If a criminal is caught with a firearm, it makes huge headlines. England does not have a gun related violent crime problem.

Knifing is another story....

Originally Posted By: cchase

Funny thing is, the "safest" states in New England are NH, VT, and ME. All of which have very "open" firearms regulations. For example, Vermont has an open carry system for handguns with no permits required. Yet MA has very strict gun laws.

By that analysis what about all the southern states with lax laws? TX? NV? SC?

IMO the NE states would be an analog to Switzerland, in terms of wealth, population makeup, etc.

Fleetmon's comments aside, which is why I posted that picture, I would 100% agree with the safety of an armed population, though that map seems to indicate some disturbing trends.

But once and for all, this is about a corporate approach to get the safest end result in the maximum number of circumstances for the employees and patrons... Its NOT about gun laws.

This whole discussion turned 2nd amendment debate is just stupid. You can bear arm all you want in your own home or in your own car, or even carry conceal but not in most work place, especially one that said in the policy of not allowing you to use it to resist a robbery.

The Autozone employee may have done a good thing, but can this be duplicate to success with a typical employee who have guns as hobby and isn't officially trained in military or police academy? It is more than just how well you shoot at a stationary target or an animal when you hunt, it is about how to interpret the situation and whether you can get out of the situation without killing someone, regardless of the employees, the customers, or if you stretch it a bit, the robber (who might just be someone desperate for money and is about to snap, regardless of whether he is a person worth saving or whether his action is justified or not).

If a company wants to allow armed employee, it should train them with whatever it takes to make them qualified as armed security guards and not just a minimum wage part time worker with an M16 collection and still in high school.

Now, about guns reduce crime and wealthiness of the area doesn't matter argument. It is baloney. You can look at the crime rate of any metropolitan and see how it drop sharply as soon as you leave the slum and into the middle class and up scale neighborhood. You can also look at gun ownership percentage vs income level, and you'll see that the slum dwellers are far more likely to have guns (for the very good reason to protect themselves) yet still have high crime rate in the area. Autozone in the slum has armed security staff, but not in middle class neighborhood, I'd say that tells you something already. I'll stop here as this is not about gun right or gun control but rather what is the best way to get out of a robbery (resist and fight back or not).

I have seen too many work place shooting with legal firearm from permitted owners, as well as permitted people desperate for money using their legal firearm to rob, to say that dumping lots of guns to everyone regardless of their mental and financial stability will bring peace. It might deter a robber to your store, but you may attract unstable employee who would easily snap and start a work place shooting. Remember, a license to own gun doesn't mean you are a trained police officer or a military vet who knows how to disarm the situation.

Last edited:
Im seeing lots of speculation without statistics.

Violent crime statistics exist, why not do some number crunching?

Why don't you do some number crunching? You want others to prove their points but you won't try to prove what you are talking about. You will not cite any statistics but expect others to. Must make you feel big for taking the easy way out. You have not posted any statistics that deal with your speculation, sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

IMO the NE states would be an analog to Switzerland, in terms of wealth, population makeup, etc.

This is a very poor conclusion to make. The "wealthy" states in New England are MA, CT, and to some extent RI (which also have higher violent crime rates, per your map). Northern New England states (NH, ME, and VT) have relatively low income levels. I would say median household incomes for those states are somewhere between 42-50k/yr. As far as population make-up, they are hugely, overwhelmingly Caucasian which probably helps eliminate racially motivated crimes which I suspect are not an insignificant proportion of violent crimes in this country.

Haha a 40 cal Glock... I would be running too if I was that robber.

It's unfortunate for this man that he got canned for doing the right and respectable thing. My hats off to him, my thumbs down to Autodrone.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Many businesses have a strict ban on weapons.Knives,guns..etc.I guess the idea is if the weapon is not within someone's grasp,it cannot be used against a fellow employee/boss or even customer.Why play the hero anyway? Would AZ or any other business really stand by an employee thru any problem? Why should an employee risk their own life for an unthankful conglomerate? Remember Wal Mart taking out insurance in case an employee drops dead? Thats thinking of themselves,not the worker.Loyalty only goes so far.

This guy was not thinking of his job, he was thinking of his employee first and foremost. The guy was about saving lives, not some random $2k in a safe.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Many businesses have a strict ban on weapons.Knives,guns..etc.I guess the idea is if the weapon is not within someone's grasp,it cannot be used against a fellow employee/boss or even customer.Why play the hero anyway? Would AZ or any other business really stand by an employee thru any problem? Why should an employee risk their own life for an unthankful conglomerate? Remember Wal Mart taking out insurance in case an employee drops dead? Thats thinking of themselves,not the worker.Loyalty only goes so far.

This guy was not thinking of his job, he was thinking of his employee first and foremost. The guy was about saving lives, not some random $2k in a safe.

Of course. That's why he's a hero.

The business, on the other hand, is looking at the bottom line. That's why they fired him.

So this relates back to my last post. For all the data that we gather as a society, where is the citable data that indicates that you have >50% chance of being shot during an armed robbery?

I'll bet it is a far lower chance, which translates to the fact that most criminals that have guns are there to grab and leave, not kill people. ....

I'm sorry, but I utterly fail to see any merit whatsoever to a statistical approach to this type of situation.

Statistically speaking, you probably won't blow your brains out playing Russian Roulette, but I wouldn't play it, would you? Of course not, no matter how good the odds, the harm is too great if you are on the wrong side of them.

Same thing goes for the situation when a criminal has a gun on another person.

Originally Posted By: Win
I'm sorry, but I utterly fail to see any merit whatsoever to a statistical approach to this type of situation.

Statistically speaking, you probably won't blow your brains out playing Russian Roulette, but I wouldn't play it, would you? Of course not, no matter how good the odds, the harm is too great if you are on the wrong side of them.

Statistically speaking, insurance companies know their number more than average Joe, and when they ask you to do things certain way, statistically speaking they are right.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

The business, on the other hand, is looking at the bottom line. That's why they fired him.

Problem is that the customers don't like what the company did and those folks are going to take their business elsewhere, that certainly will be bad for the bottom line. From what I can tell nearly all folks that commented around the internet don't agree with AZ's actions.

But what you don't see are the ones that won't voice their opinion on the web and STILL shop elsewhere.

Last edited:

So this relates back to my last post. For all the data that we gather as a society, where is the citable data that indicates that you have >50% chance of being shot during an armed robbery?

I'll bet it is a far lower chance, which translates to the fact that most criminals that have guns are there to grab and leave, not kill people. ....

Recall why I asked about statistics. It is because this, again, isnt about gun laws but rather outcomes. What is the statistically best outcome for an event, so that the business can implement the best possible chance of not incurring cost onto them, particularly from an employee that would cause the business themselves a higher cost outcome.

My hypothesis, which remember, I am actually PRO-gun, and PRO-CCW, so it is just a hypothesis, is that the actuarial basis indicates that the lower loss, whch I think we an all agree that the cheaper loss is product or cash, not life, is when people do not intervene, and rather allow the thief to take what they want and go away.

So my real intent is to know if the outcome that really boils down to just one gun (the thuef) or two (thief and victim) really has the better outcome.

I doubt that anyone will deny that the situation will escalate as soon as the second gun comes out. Tensions will increase. This is about escalating an event, not the question of if crime drops as more functional citizens are armed, which I think everyone can agree, based upon well-publicized FBI statistics, to be the case.

Again ,the entire basis is if the most optimal outcome from the companys basis is if someone is allowed to fight back, versus if giving some cash or trinkets and letting them go is the best outcome for minimizing injury or death.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

Why don't you do some number crunching? You want others to prove their points but you won't try to prove what you are talking about. You will not cite any statistics but expect others to. Must make you feel big for taking the easy way out. You have not posted any statistics that deal with your speculation, sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

Sounds like youre just another person who is all talk and nothing else. Note above. I have presented the theory that the most statistically sound case of getting out of the situation without escalating or injury is to allow the thief to take their stuff and leave.

So the best statistic Ive found to date is bank robbery. This is the quintesential take something and leave theft. SO what do the statistics say?

Let's start by indicating that the data set is the FBI from 2010 and is 5628 robberies. Of these 5628 robberies, 1445 utilized a firearm, mostly handguns. Now, the main result is this:

Quote:
Acts of violence were committed during 236 (4 percent) of the 5,628 robberies, burglaries, and larcenies which occurred during the 12-month period. These acts included 71 instances involving the discharge of firearms, 145 instances involving assaults, one instance involving an explosive device, and 31 instances of hostage situations. (One or more acts of violence may occur during an incident.) These acts of violence resulted in 106 injuries, 16 deaths, and 90 persons taken hostage.

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/bank-crime-statistics-2010/bank-crime-statistics-2010

So this implies that the chance of being involved in a violent event during a theft that is of the take it and leave type, like a cash grab, is 4%, of which roughly 1/3 have a firearm discharged. 16 Deaths, 13 of which are the perpetrator, not the employee or a customer.

This seems indicative to me of the result of non-escalation if the thief can take something and leave. They get what they eant and go.

Now, from some older crime data (crime has been steadily delining overall, I found the following:

Quote:
Self-defense with firearms

*38% of the victims defending themselves with a firearm attacked the offender, and the others threatened the offender with the weapon.

*A fifth of the victims defending themselves with a firearm
suffered an injury, compared to almost half of those who defended themselves with weapons other than a firearm or who had no weapon.
Care should be used in interpreting these data because many aspects of crimes--including victim and offender characteristics, crime circumstances, and offender intent--contribute to the victims'
injury outcomes.

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/ascii/hvfsdaft.txt

But remember that this talks about those who DEFENDED themselves. So obviously the outcome will be better if someone defends themselves with a gun vs a knife or fist. This is just obvious. The question is if one gives the thief what they desire, vs esvalating the situation with presntation of a gun, if the end result is better.

Now the results seem to be pointing to the benefit of citizens defending, such as here:

Quote:
On the other hand, Newsweek has reported that law-abiding American citizens using guns in self-defense during 2003 shot and killed two and one-half times as many criminals as police did, and with fewer than one-fifth as many incidents as police where an innocent person mistakenly identified as a criminal (2% versus 11%).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/20...ontrol-lobby/2/

But this doesnt indicate necessarily a public, open scenario, and surely includes the 100k sef defense events mentioned, which mainly are home burglaries, which are indeed a different scenario.

The other robbery information that I found was here:

Quote:
■Among the robberies for which the UCR Program received weapon information in 2011, strong-arm tactics were used in 42.3 percent, firearms were used in 41.3 percent, and knives and cutting instruments were used in 7.8 percent of robberies. Other dangerous weapons were used in 8.7 percent of robberies in 2011. (Based on Table 19.)

Which indicates that you have a less than 50% chance of being involved in a theft including a firearm, and and only just north of 50% chance of a dangerous weapon of any sort being ued if you were robbed.

My conclusion still stands based upon all of this that the basis of letting the thief take and leave yields a better outcome overall because of the bank data and the fact that most thefts just dont involve guns to begin with. So on an actuarial basis for decision, which is what this REALLY is all about, for making business decisions, it appears that there is not a justifiable case that there is a compelling benefit for reduced loss or less chance of death if one just lets the thief leave.

Ill back this up with some composite data again from here: http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/ascii/hvfsdaft.txt
again which admittedly is older, but from an age of higher crime.

Quote:

Handguns and crime, 1987-92

Annual
average,
1992 1987-91

Handgun crimes 930,700 667,000
Homicide 13,200 10,600
Rape 11,800 14,000
Robbery 339,000 225,100
Assault 566,800 417,300

For 1987-92 victims reported an annual average of about 341,000
incidents of firearm theft. Because the NCVS asks for types but not a count of items stolen, the annual total of firearms stolen probably exceeded the number of incidents.

When offenders fired at victims

*Offenders fired their weapon in 17% of all nonfatal handgun crimes (or about 2% of all violent crimes). In 3% of all handgun crimes, the victim was wounded. The offender shot at but missed the victim in 14% of all handgun crimes. Victims did not report if offenders had tried to hit the victim or missed intentionally.

So regarding the criminals having guns bit, first, there were 300k gun thefts, and a quick search will show that the number stolen per year is between 200-600k guns. Talk about proliferation by those who carry and dont stow or protect (including im sure auto theft when one has a gun locked in the car). Now, if I read this right, there is a 17% chance of the perp firing the firearm in the cases, with 1/5 of the cases indicating injury on the gun-shod defender. . So youre really looking at an outcome of 20% injured to 50% injured in the defense cases, versus something like 1% per the bank robbery data where the thief is allowed to take and leave. Obviously if you're going for self defense, have a gun, but your chance of a best outcome looks worse than the grab and go cases for the bank robberies cited.

So it looks to me like the take and leave is statistically in the business's favor, which again is the entire premise here. I understand that this is statistics pieced together, but nobody has been capable of producing anything better, so this may be the most indicative. 1% chance of injury if non confrontational, vs 20% chance if confrontational with a firearm, based upon data sets of roughly 5000 and 1 million respectively. THis is not a question of if gun ownership is good (which again, I think we all agree it is), or if as a whole, an armed population is a safer one, which again, I think we all agree it is. This is entirely about outcome for the business.

My company has a policy of not stopping any robbery suspects. I don't work in the branches anymore but when I did, I was told that if you see someone running out with merchandise, you simply look at them to try to get a good visual to give a description to the police.

No pursuit, no confrontation, no nothing. You CAN be terminated for violating it.

The alternative to playing Russian Roulette is not playing it. In other words, you have the choice to give up the risk entirely.

The alternative to permitting an armed robbery is confronting the robber. In other words, you're choosing between one risk and another.

VERY different calculus.

Neither my employer, nor anyone else, gets to dictate that I place my life in the hands of an armed stranger of unknown mental and emotional stability, regardless of the "odds".

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
Neither my employer, nor anyone else, gets to dictate that I place my life in the hands of an armed stranger of unknown mental and emotional stability, regardless of the "odds".

So in other words you want to replace one risk with another greater risk???!? Great thinking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back