AutoZone Fires Worker Who Stopped Robbery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I am not a thug, I will not enter into their mind. However, I have read that most criminals don't think about the consequences for their actions. This is in part why the death penalty is not a deterrent. I am guessing most thugs don't think, "Hey, this guy might have a gun and I could lose." I would assume they think, "I am gonna get the money and kill if I need to." Just a guess.

ref

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Why would they? Why should they? He broke company rules which are there for a reason. They aren't going to reward him for it.

"After all, terminated employees don’t just fade away. They usually reappear, and pretty rapidly, as customers, suppliers, distributors, or in the worst-case scenario, competitors with an ax to grind." - Jack Welch, former CEO of GE.

Also the publicity received here is a good indicator that they should get around the policy and make everyone happy.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Also the publicity received here is a good indicator that they should get around the policy and make everyone happy.

Doing so would only encourage their other employees to break the rules, which is unacceptable.

I sincerely doubt AutoZone management is having second thoughts about firing him. Why are some of you guys under the impression that AZ is worried about it, that they are unsure if it was the right course of action to take? It was the 'correct' thing to do per the rules so it was done. Period. They will deal with the bad press later (meaning now). It'll blow over and nobody will remember it in a month.

It'll blow over and nobody will remember it in a month.

Contrary to that popular and FALSE belief about the attention span of people, the impression will be a lasting one.

I like that comment by GE former CEO Jack Welsh about former employees becoming competitors and having an ax to grind....very true as personally I have a VERY VEEEERY LONG MEMORY when I am wronged. Just ask DirecTV. LOL

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
It'll blow over and nobody will remember it in a month.

Contrary to that popular and FALSE belief about the attention span of people, the impression will be a lasting one.

Really? Let me ask you: When was the last time you heard anyone talk about the devastation caused by hurricane Sandy? Do you think all of coastal NY and NJ have been rebuilt and everyone's lives are back to normal?

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
BTW, the local pizza shop was robbed twice within the last thirty days. The last time being yesterday. As I drove past that shop today one of the local police cars was parked in the seldom used section of that shops parking lot. Sure that shop probably will not be robbed as long as the manned police car is there, but sooner or later there will be requirements where that car can no longer stay there. And after the police no longer are staying there sooner or later it will be robbed again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My dad use to say don't ever give a bum money because you don't know if he will spend it on food or booze. So I use to carry a $5 McDonnalds gift card to give anyone begging. But now days, I will not converse, or stop to face anyone begging, because you never know if they may be looking for an opportunity to pull out a counselled weapon be it a gun or a knife, and you never know that if they were to try something that they may still harm someone even if they get all that person has.

Last week a small car pulled into a local grocery store parking lot and a man in a suit got out and popped the hood. As I walked by to go from my car into the store he asked if I had any oil with me. He said that he and his wife were traveling ministers and he only had three dollars on him and that they had hit something that came off of a truck and their vehicle was now leaking oil. The front of his car did look scuffed up and the air dam on the front was hanging down disconnected on one side. I was not about to show him where i carried my cash, and just kept my hand on the top of trigger of one of the less than two years old extra large can of Whoop-As(censored) mace that I carry in my pockets, and said NO I am sorry sir I can't help you, I suggest you contact the local church, and I walked away.

I did not know that person form Adam, and there was something fishy about the whole thing, including the suit he wore and the way he drove up and popped that hood, like he had done this before. I have helped out strangers who were stranded before several times, but you have to cover your assets first, and then if it is safe help out anyone in need.

Later I saw him on his cell phone still standing in front of that car.

Update: Today I stopped at a different grocery store, as I walked in I notices the hood up on a white vehicle, but did not stop or pay much attention to it. I did a little shopping and when I come out the same guy is standing behind my car telling the same hard luck story to two men who are stopped and listing to him, and obviously tying to figure him out. And the same woman was sitting again in the front passengers of the same car. I unlock my car with the key fob and as I walk towards my car I say to the two men listing to this con man, "that is the same story he told me a week ago (i could not remember the exact date) only it was in front of (and I told them the name of the other grocery store).

The two men who previously were listing to this con man kinda smirked and then they walked towards the store. The con man was taken by surprise and turned to go back to his vehicle, but as he walked towards it said a few things to me as he tried to keep his composure.

I went to another place after that and when driving away spotted a police car on the side of the road, and not being in a hurry, told the officer about the con mans previous and current location. The officer then drove off towards that current location.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will stop and help out people in need of help, and have done so several times, including one recent time over a month ago where I had to go home to get something to get them going, but there is a difference between people who are legitimately trying to make ends meet and running into mechanical problems, and people who are just out to take advantage of anyone they can. And when you can tell the difference between the two, there ain't no way the con guy is going to get anything from me.

BTW, the con man was in a small late model white Cadillac.

The one I had to first go home and get something was a stranded mother with kids over a month ago was in an old beat up paint job SUV with too small of a battery and cheap dirty top post battery terminals, and her friend who was unsuccessfully trying to get her vehicle to start was in an old beat up paint job truck with too small of a battery and cheap dirty top post battery terminals. After I got her vehicle going the friend (maybe her husband, I don't know) offers me five bucks, and I told him "keep it and put it towards a new battery, you are going to need it".

It so happened that both of these cases involved people who are not of the same race as I, but I would have played those situations the same regardless of weather they were of the same race as I or not. It is not about a persons race, it is about what is really going on.

Last edited:
This actually reminds me of when I gave a nurse a ride to work after seeing her car on the side of a local route. The fact that my wife is a nurse was probably why I did it. Later on I noticed her husband and another person dealing with why the car wouldn't start as I traveled back that way.

This is route is a heavily traveled road towards a massive shopping complex.

It was completely opposite and out of my way but I have no trouble doing it. These days everytime I see someone on the side of the road I have the unlucky position of being in the car with the wife & 2 kids. While she wouldn't object to me stopping we are usually on a time crunch. I never seems to happen when I am by myself.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

If the clerk was going to protect, and truly thought the manager was in imminent danger of being fired upon, the other guy should have taken the shot at the first chance instead of playing movie cop and telling the thief to freeze.

Maybe the kid should have call a psychologist for the robber so that the robber could work out his negative feelings about his social responsibility as a citizen. After 10 or 15 one hour sessions perhaps he could have been rehabilitated. After all the robber is the real victim here because no doubt he had a bad childhood and is really a good kid who is just acting out.

Or maybe the robber would have blown both of their brains out all over the office wall and walked out the door with the cash.

The kid stopped an armed robbery which in most states is a class 1 violent felony punishable by 5-25 years in the state pen. He is a hero. Autozone could have lightly punished him with a write up and warning and a raise. They are corporate weenies who deserve to have their nutz stepped on with steel toed shoes.

I will never set foot in an autozone until they apologize for being stupid.

Youre spewing a lot of hot air here.

Said it once, Ill say it again, this is ALL about the most probable way to get an outcome. It is NOT about what yYOU think is right, moral, or your way to clean the population of the misfits that exist. THis isnt about gun rights or gun control. Even if legal CCW was granted at will in all places, this topic would still come up. And I am HIGHLY pro-CCW and pro-2nd amendment. Its also not about some tongue in cheek feel-good commentary about who is the victim and being sorry for them, regardless of how silly that concept is in reality. Nope, its not about any of that. We could debate all that stuff in another thread, and Id bet we would be 100% in agreement. Its just not the issue here.

Why? Because the shoot-em-up types on here are just trigger happy without EVER giving a basis for the way to obtain the right outcome.

The duty of everyone, especially the gun carrying person, is to determine how to obtain the best outcome for the parties involved. That's it. Its not cleansing the population, its not teachning the thief a lesson by a holier-than-thou person. Its getting the clerks and patrons out of the situation in the safest mannr with the highest probability of success. Its also not because you have a gun in your belt, and have gone to the range a few times, that you think you can play FBI agent and hit the thief while missing the manager by two inches because youre a sharpshooter (Ill bet the average CCW holder couldnt group their shots at 25 yards with their carry weapon).

Nobody here has actually provided statistics yet But you can be pretty sure that all these multibillion dollar companies have considered it n an actuarial basis...

So it has nothing to do with how Joe shoot 'em up feels. Nor how their "moral superiority" justifies them being the entity to teach a lesson to anyone else. It is merely how to get the best outcome that is safest for the others. The thief? I be glad to see them dead. And in MANY other situations, immediate use of force might be the best approach. But as a blanket SOP for a store clerk, and basis of dealing with that situation, it is all about the most positive outcomes, that's it.

I see what the identified best approach is for these large companies, where they likely have more sneak-theft per day per store than an armed thief would ever get away with. $2000, heck, $20k is small change to the multibillion dollar corporation. Millions in lawsuits starts to hurt more.

You are actually sounding very anti-gun. You keep stating about the best outcome for everyone but you have no idea what the robber is thinking. You don't know if he planned to kill both of the workers so there are no witnesses left or to just scare them. Everyone keeps talking about the money. Mclean said he went and got the gun because he felt like his boss's life was in danger. Who cares about $2,000 that is not even his.

None of us were there so we don't know how everything went down or what was said by the robber. Maybe he was threatening to kill them which happens a lot in robberies. Mclean did a smart thing by not shooting the robber when he turned to run. He probably would have been charged with something if he would have shot someone running away.

I've worked as a Correctional Officer in a Prison for over 21 years and can read everything I want about an inmate's past and some of you are dreaming if you think that some of these people won't kill or harm you at the drop of a hat. Why take the chance? Are you willing to bet that the robber is not going to take your life or someone you care about? What if that had been your wife or GF in that store? Are you going to sit there and hope that the robber is a nice guy and is not going to kill or harm you? I bet that if you have a chance to get a gun out of your vehicle, you are going to do it.

Some of you think that calling the cops is going to save you. Not likely. The majority of the time they show up after the incident is over. Your personal safety is your own responsibility.

You are making a lot of baseless assumptions about CCW holders in regards to their proficiancy with a firearm. Almost all of the CCW holders that I know shoot on a regular basis, probably way more than your average cop.

I carry because I don't want to become a victim if I can help it and to help protect my loved ones and friends if needed. The reality is that our society is violent and a lot of the people committing these crimes have no regards for anyone else. In the years that I have worked in the prision, I have seen how this younger generation of inmates have no respect for anyone and behave in a like manner. You can do what you want but I know the reality of how things are.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back