New Camaro or used Cayman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im thinking of buying a fun car, sporty yet economical enough to drive 400 miles a week. im considering the new DI v6 camaro which is and excellent looking car and has impressive power and economy, or a 2007 Porsche Cayman S with 35-40k miles. what are your guys thoughts. both can be bought in the neighborhood of $30-35k

two different animals, IMO. You either want to own a Porsche or a GM. Pick your poison...

Cayman will be vastly more fun. Camaro might have an edge in overall comfort for long trips, and has back seats.

If I had to choose between those two, I'd take the Cayman without even blinking.

Neither, stay Mopar 2012 Challenger V6 (Pentastar)
wink.gif

The Camaro won't break the bank but anything that says porsche and you may need a second mortgage to keep it going. Some of the eurotrash is just too much money for parts and stuff you can't fix yourself. A couple years ago a m-b navi screen was $8000,00 just for the screen.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
Porsche all the way. It is so obvious a choice I'm not even going into the reasons

To me they even out. The Porsche is obviously the superior label and associated with class and money and overall sex appeal, but it would also be 5-7 years old, and be more expensive to own daily. The camaro would be newer, have less class, but still has a cult following, and would be cheaper to own for daily use.

Both are sexy cars, and are two very different designs and layouts. I like the idea of owning a porsche, but im also attracted to the Camaro's styling.

And im really not interested much in a V8 camaro, ive had supercharged mustangs and other fast cars in the past. 300+ hp is enough for a daily cruiser. both cars get good economy as well. the gap between V6 and v8 cars isnt like it used to be in the 90's. the v6 of today will outrun the ls1 cars of the early 2000's and the porsche's 6 cylinder will out run most of the v8 poney cars as well.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, brand image and "class" mean exactly nothing to me, so that was nowhere on the map when I made my recommendation.

Unless you're the kind of person who likes to be surrounded by acres of steel and plastic when you drive, the Cayman should be more enjoyable more of the time than the Camaro. It's lighter, sharper, more agile, more involving, and still very driveable for long stretches.

Cost of ownership should be balanced against how rewarding the car is to drive. Yes, small differences in maintenance costs can get pretty big when you do a lot of miles per year -- but so can small differences in how much fun you have -- and with a Cayman, the difference in fun could be huge.

Simple then. Buy used camaro and avoid most depreciation, save difference and add to it. In 4 or 5 years savings plus camaro will equal used porsche.

Have your cake and eat it too.

Go to the parts counter at your Porsche dealer and get prices on the following:

Alternator, water pump, fuel pump, AC compressor, MAF sensor, power window motor, front and rear shock. Then do the same at your Chevy dealer.

BTW - see if the Porsche dealer actually stocks all those parts or ask how long it takes to get them.

Porsche is a cool car, I was seriously considering buying a new boxter before I went with the (far smarter IMO) 135i.

Camaro is just too bulky IMO. If I was looking for that kind of car, I'd be going for a mustang or challenger.

IMO for that money if look for a used charger srt8 (practical) or a corvette (better performing), and see where they get you.

Have you checked the insurance rates on each?

They're about the same price now...but will they still be when you have to pay insurance?

I'd go the Camaro...having driven one the Ca for 3 days, I love them (was only a 6, as they didn't have a yellow SS to impress my Son).

If I had a lazy $100k lying around, there's be a Camaro out the back of my place now.

Rockauto, for example, carries a lot of parts for 2007 Cayman. A Gates waterpump is around 100 bucks.

That kind of money would put you into a pristine used Corvette that will blow the socks off the Cayman, give you better mileage than the Camaro, and be worth just about what you paid for it when it comes time to sell. Maintenance parts are cheap, too. (it's a Chevy).
The Vette will also be a viable daily driver and are far better long-distance cruisers than you'd think.

Between the Camaro and the Cayman, I'd go Cayman.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back