New Camaro or used Cayman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Im thinking of buying a fun car, sporty yet economical enough to drive 400 miles a week. im considering the new DI v6 camaro which is and excellent looking car and has impressive power and economy, or a 2007 Porsche Cayman S with 35-40k miles. what are your guys thoughts. both can be bought in the neighborhood of $30-35k

I owned a '98 Boxster for several years, and drove it ~400 miles each week, only about 200 of it commuting.

What I can tell you is that the car is fantastic, and the seats are very supportive, so commuting in the car isn't an issue. You even have 2 trunks to use, and can carry a lot of luggage, if you need to carry anything.

Some things are expensive on the Porsche to replace, but, its not like you're replacing them every single day of the week.

If you can do your own services, plugs, filters, oil changes, it is a very enjoyable and rewarding car to work on, though some tasks take a lot longer than they would in the Camaro. That just means more quality time with your car.

An example would be changing the serpentine belt. Its going to take a while to push the seats forward, remove the bulkhead carpeting, unscrew the access panel, and then get the thing out of there, and replaced with a new one. Its doable, but its going to take time. Same cost for the serpentine belt, if you buy it from Napa.

Water pump replacement is also doable for the DIY. Pump is most likely more expensive than the Camaro, and harder to replace, but once its done, you've got that sense of satisfaction of doing it yourself, and saving many hundreds of dollars than paying a shop.

I loved my Porsche, and hope to someday have another one.
Depends on if Alfa Romeo shows up with the 4C in another year or two, and its as good as it should be.

BC.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
neither. you are all over the map on the vehicle choices. buy gran turismo 5 on the ps3 and save yourself a ton of money.

What are we 5? a little respect? ever heard of "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all?" now you have... Last time i checked i get to decide what vehicles i look at regardless of the category they are in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
drive 400 miles a week

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Porsche probably isn't the car you want to be racking up miles on.

You should get a decent test drive in each and see how it feels personally. The magazine test numbers are not a true representation of your organic experience. You may find that some cars don't suite you at all and some are eye openers and your hooked.

I've been fortunate enough to have driven on the streets and or track a Boxster S and a 06 911 Turbo and the last edition Viper ACR, older GTS Viper, Supercharged Lotus Elise, Turbo'd Miata, even a Ford RS200. The 0-60 numbers even when close don't relay at all the driving feel for each vehicle. Cars that are within .5 sec of each other can feel completely different in how they really accelerate and handle out on the streets. I'm of the opinion that for a sports car that lightweight with great power feels better than heavier with greater power. I prefer transient maneuvers more than straight line acceleration. That is just myself though and that's based on personal opinion.

You should also compare real world mileage and by that I mean what kind of driving you do. If your hard on the gas a few times each day how much will that affect mileage from car to car?

Sounds like a fun first world problem you need to get solved !

I completely forgot to mention that I regularly got ~30 mpg in my '98 Boxster on the highway. You should be able to do better in the Cayman.

BC.

Neither -- Mustang V6 with Performance package.

Zero to 60 mph: 5.2 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.4 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 6.0 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 16.1 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 14.9 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.9 sec @ 102 mph

I'd go with the Cayman, as I don't want anything as big and heavy as the Camaro. The Mustang is a more reasonable size and weight; a year ago I was all set to buy a GT with the Brembo package but an extended test drive left me unimpressed- as a minimum I'd have to have a Boss 302. And once I start spending that much money I'm thinking CPO Cayman S or M Sport 135i.

I'd get the Cayman, but I'm a guy who almost always picks light and quick over the brute. Probably because I am a small guy. Not that I don't like a nice V8 exhaust note, but the 'Maro and Challenger are just too huge for my taste. If I bought a pony car today, it'd be a Mustang...or a previous gen F-body.

With the Cayman, I'd also want to make sure I could afford driving it. I'd hit up a forum or two and see if any of the Porsche guys could let you in on what it costs to keep a Cayman on the road. I'd also probably want to find a good Porsche mechanic to check it out before buying it. If I were buying any used sports car, I'd be worried I got the one that took a beating with the previous owner.

Funny, I was looking through some used listings today and saw a reasonably priced '06 Boxster at a nearby dealer. Tempting, but the combination of my cheap and sensible personality and being married probably would nix that no matter how great the deal was. Good call on buying something before you have to share the decision making process.

If the maintenance costs scare you though, I'd take the advice from an earlier post and start shopping for used Vettes. Or for me, a S2000.

Dont waste your money on a v6 mustang. The current ones feel cheap and flimsy. The v8 gt's are alright as long as you get the five speed,but the camaro ss feels much sturdier,stronger,and is a really comfortable car to drive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: D189379
Maintenance and repairs will cost a lot more?

Wanting to put miles on your car is a function of more than just cost. It's also about how much you WANT to drive the car.

If cost of ownership trumped everything, we'd be talking about Corolla and Civic, not Camaro and Cayman. Clearly the OP is willing to pay a little more to be able to enjoy driving. The only questions are how much he's willing to pay, and how much he'd enjoy one car vs. another.

well, guys i drove a 08 C6 corvette the other day, a six speed LS3 car, and im very impressed with the newer corvette. i think i could live with it as a daily driver. ive all but completely ruled out the camaro. i have driven one of those as well, and its a nice car, but its not worth the money im spending. the Camaro is light years ahead of where it used to be though. Its a great car but it is a little clunky and heavy feeling. I still want to drive a Cayman and see how it compares to the C6. As far as ownership, insurance on the corvette is cheaper than my Ram 1500, and the Cayman will be nearly the same per year as the Ram, i had some quotes done with my agent the other day. I would service either car myself, as my uncle owns a mechanic/body shop and i have lifts and tools that i am welcome to use.

I do 90% highway driving at 60-75 mph so i think either car is going to be very efficient, and cheaper than im used to fuel wise. Barring major repairs i dont think either the Corvette or the Cayman will be anymore costly to own than my 2012 Ram is.

Next day i can get away from the business i am going to find a Cayman S to take for a spin. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and input thus far.

Last edited:
For a light, fun to drive ride that gets good mileage, why not look at one of the new offerings out there?

Hyundai Genesis Coupe (4 cylinder turbo w/6spd)
Scion FR-S

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
For a light, fun to drive ride that gets good mileage, why not look at one of the new offerings out there?

The newest Miata and S2000 come to mind. I`ve always wanted to drive one of these. I bet they`re ALOT of fun! My ex gf`s MR2 was a BLAST to drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back