New Camaro or used Cayman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Dont waste your money on a v6 mustang. The current ones feel cheap and flimsy. The v8 gt's are alright as long as you get the five speed,but the camaro ss feels much sturdier,stronger,and is a really comfortable car to drive.

We have a VAST difference of opinion on this subject!

My FIL has a gorgeous 2013 V6 Mustang convertible that is a really nice little car. Sweet, relatively fast, and gets great mileage too. Definitely does not give off any cheap vibes at all! (and they get 6 speeds now)

I like the Camaros, too, as they are surprisingly good in the real world. They get great owner scores also.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I would have to say, "what do you want to be seen in?

. . . I want to be seen in something paid for.

A Porsche is certainly very, very nice. But an older R129 or Volvo works fine for me now.

I'm way past making statements with the wheels.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
neither. you are all over the map on the vehicle choices. buy gran turismo 5 on the ps3 and save yourself a ton of money.

What are we 5? a little respect? ever heard of "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all?" now you have... Last time i checked i get to decide what vehicles i look at regardless of the category they are in.

you think i disrespected you by suggesting you spend 50 bucks instead of 50 grand? LOL

neither. you are all over the map on the vehicle choices. buy gran turismo 5 on the ps3 and save yourself a ton of money.

What are we 5? a little respect? ever heard of "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all?" now you have... Last time i checked i get to decide what vehicles i look at regardless of the category they are in.

you think i disrespected you by suggesting you spend 50 bucks instead of 50 grand? LOL

I appologize for blowing up about your comment. However, i believe i have right to be selective about my automobile choices, regardless of the class of vehicle they are. If i were 12 years old perhaps i would buy the video game, but thats not the case. I have worked hard for my money and it is my choice to buy a fairly expensive car.

let me just say, the Caymon is a totall [censored] Magnet.. if your not married, thats exactly what id be driving... with that said, the Cayman is simply a superior automobile and will excite you more.. its deffinately more of a drivers car..

the Camaro is a cool looking car.. but thats about all, its ok, nothing special. If you stay looking for american muscle, the high HP stangs or just buying a vette is the way to go.. p.s. i highly recomend the forced air Pony cars.. wheeeeew... nice.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I would have to say, "what do you want to be seen in?

. . . I want to be seen in something paid for.

A Porsche is certainly very, very nice. But an older R129 or Volvo works fine for me now.

I'm way past making statements with the wheels.

Well said.. i tip my hat to you.

Drive an SL of some sort, it sounds like you want more of a GT car, but an adult one that went to college.

The Caymen is more of a sports car, but it has the German quality and engineering.

An SL55 AMG would probably make you pretty happy, because its a muscle car at heart. An SL600 is more of a magic carpet ride. The SL65 or above is the hand of God when you boot it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: DriveHard
For a light, fun to drive ride that gets good mileage, why not look at one of the new offerings out there?

The newest Miata and S2000 come to mind. I`ve always wanted to drive one of these. I bet they`re ALOT of fun! My ex gf`s MR2 was a BLAST to drive!

As long as you keep engine speed above 4.5-5k, S2000 is a blast to drive.

Nothing other than sticky tires is needed to track the S2000, it's not very fast on long straight like others with V6 or V8 or forced induction, but it is very nimble on tight curves.

Last edited:
Hahaha, the standard snobby comments.

Who cares what others think? I certainly have NEVER based any car purchase on that except my fleet vehicles which are used to service the public.

Buy what you want and let everyone assume they know your circumstances. Get a car that makes you smile when you walk up to it even after many years of ownership.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Hahaha, the standard snobby comments.

Who cares what others think? I certainly have NEVER based any car purchase on that except my fleet vehicles which are used to service the public.

Buy what you want and let everyone assume they know your circumstances. Get a car that makes you smile when you walk up to it even after many years of ownership.

Solid advice Sir, well said.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
It always amazes me how much time and money people spend to impress people they don't even know.
+1

Originally Posted By: D189379
drive 400 miles a week

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Porsche probably isn't the car you want to be racking up miles on.

depends on your budget but I can't see myself putting those miles on it..

I saw a guy with close to 200K on an air-cooled 911 a few months ago...and a guy with 290K on a well-worn 944, with chipped and faded Guards Red paint, wearing vanity plates "TRAKRAT".
laugh.gif

Porsches are built to be driven?

Like the linerless 928?

Or the 911 2.7 that had chain tensioner problems, an inadequate fan, and would often pull the threads out of the engine case?

Or the 924 powered by a Volkswagen engine?

I have no problem believing that a 944 would go 250,000 miles. Problem was the price tag when the clutch failed

I don't know that air-cooled Porsches were really long-lived. I think it was more that their owners would actually repair them when they broke. Nobody thinks of a 911 as a disposible car.

If you have money, Caymen hands down. How about the new BRZ? this is the only new car that it sporty and economical right now.

The 944's rubber-face clutch usually goes before 85K...once it's replaced, it will go another 150K easily. (Note: the turbo cars and I think the 16V NA 944's did NOT use the stupid rubber-faced clutch.)

It's not just the rubber clutch dampers in the 944, it's how much of the car has to come apart to do the clutch job.

I remember how many customers got a smoking deal on a Porsche 944 that "just needed a clutch" and how mad they got at me when I quoted the price for the job.

That $5000 Porsche just became a $7000 Porsche....more if the exhaust system is rusted or it needs new torque tube bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back